Upgrading my S3: Note 3 vs Note 4

ToolOGT92

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy S3 and I am eligible for an upgrade in October. The Note 4 looks great, but honestly, I'm not on my phone 24/7 and don't need the latest and greatest, so I was thinking about the Note 3. Once the Note 4 launches, has there been any rumors about a price drop? Do you think Verizon would knock the 3 down to $150 once the Note 4 hits? I have a buyer for my phone at $160 so I am hoping to put out as little as possible, I'm on a tight budget.

Would the Note 3 still be a great phone in 2 years? Is there any news on upgrades to the OS or how long they are supporting it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Note 3, and you know what? It's running smooth and doesn't feel outdated at all. Comparing it to the Note 4 is really an upgraded version of it, with the biggest difference being the screen. And since my Note 3's screen is still beautiful and full HD is more than enough for me right now (not a lot of content in 2K or 4K out there right now, really), it really didn't warrant an exchange for me right now.

But you have an upgrade coming, so it's really about the money in my opinion. The Note 3 has already dropped prices off contract with some vendors and it will definitely drop once the Note 4 is released on carriers. So if money is an issue, I'd say go for the Note 3, it's still a great device. Or you could try the LG3, but you'll miss the stylus from the Note 3.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would get the Note 4, especially if you are one that holds onto them for the full 2 years of the contract. I have a Note 3, and love it, and it doesn't feel dated yet. I know my battery isn't lasting as long, but that is because I use it all the time. I personally see a big difference at 2 years in of phone use.

If money is tight, and for staying around a price point, I would recommend the S5. My dad just picked one up a few months ago, and loves it. You still get Android, and a great screen. Not as big as the Note, but still large enough in my opinion. And the chip set and technology is that much newer than the Note 3, so you should enjoy the full 2 year life of your contract.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It should be supported through 2015.

However, the price difference will be roughly 150 or less, that's 6 bucks each month for two years. I would go straight to note 4 if I were in your position.

@T-Mobile GN3

anon(8410015)

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I would get the note 4, i have the note 3 and love it but won't be upgrading as I am tied in until sept 2015 which hopefully will be when the note 5 comes out. I find it's best to get a new phone if it's being kept for the 2 years. The note 3 will be 3 years old once you are done with it.

ToolOGT92

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
My problem is the 150 bucks is up front and my daughter needs tubes in her ears to the tune of $1500, so I'm more on a budget then needing the latest and greatest.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I understand the need to budget. It might be worth looking at the Edge plan for you. Lower upfront cost, and shouldn't change your bill much.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion and based on everything you said, I'd go with the Note 3. I currently have the Note 3 and I absolutely love it. Personally, I see no reason to upgrade to the Note 4 based on the way I use my phone which is not unlike your usage. The differences between the two aren't all that drastic, unless I am missing something. In any event, you can't go wrong with either one, but if it will save you much needed money, I say Note 3 is the way to go.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My problem is the 150 bucks is up front and my daughter needs tubes in her ears to the tune of $1500, so I'm more on a budget then needing the latest and greatest.

In that case, Note 3 is an excellent choice, I had it for a year, and I plan to use it for another1-3.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Does your carrier offer a trade in? I traded in my iPhone for my Note 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress