Note 4 design factors

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people think Samsung gives little thought into design, but this shows the creativity and practicality that is put into these devices.

IMO, I see little creativity in Samsung's "new" "design from a strictly physical point of view. They say they removed the stitching from the back to make it look more sleek and modern. The truth is that sticking was widely criticized on the N3 for looking fake just like its fake metal plastic frame. Instead of creating a really sleek modern looking phone, like HTC or LG, which are sculptured metal without a frame, Samsung simply adds a beveled frame that reminds many of the frame of an IPhone 5s or earlier IPhone. (Even Apple has abandoned that tired old frame design with their new IPhones in order to create a more sleek modern design, that looks nothing like earlier IPhones.) The Note 4, on the other hand, in spite of the new metal frame and stichless fake leather back, still looks much like it has for years. Though upgraded, it, unmistakably, still looks like a Samsung phone.

Having said all this, I am sure many people love how great their "new" N4 looks. I wouldn't argue with them about that, because when it comes to looks and appeal, it is ultimately a matter of personal taste. Beauty is, after all, in the eyes of the beholder.

On the other hand, Samsung has given more thought to refining features than it has to the Note 4 appearance. Improving the SPen and the camera along with a great display are of special note.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
IMO, I see little creativity in Samsung's "new" "design. They say they removed the stitching from the back to make it look more sleek and modern. The truth is that sticking was widely criticized on the N3 for looking fake just like its fake metal plastic frame. Instead of creating a really sleek modern looking phone, like HTC or LG, which are sculptured metal without a frame, Samsung simply adds a beveled frame that reminds many of the frame of an IPhone 5s or earlier IPhone. (Even Apple has abandoned that tired old frame design with their new IPhones in order to create a more sleek modern design, that looks nothing like earlier IPhones.) The Note 4, on the other hand, in spite of the new metal frame and stichless fake leather back, still looks much like it has for years. Though upgraded, it, unmistakably, still looks like a Samsung phone.

Having said all this, I am sure many people love how great their "new" N4 looks. I wouldn't argue with them, because when it comes to looks and appeal, it is ultimately a matter of personal taste. Beauty is, after all, in the eyes of the beholder.

Why are you posting on the Note 4 forum then?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
(Even Apple has abandoned that tired old frame design with their new IPhones in order to create a more sleek modern design, that looks nothing like earlier IPhones.) The Note 4, on the other hand, in spite of the new metal frame and stichless fake leather back, still looks much like it has for years. Though upgraded, it, unmistakably, still looks like a Samsung phone.

I actually thought Apple was not smart getting rid of the design of their phone. I think the iPhone looks more like various Android's from 2011-2012 with the rounded edges. I also can't shake the crazy thought that maybe Samsung wants their phones to look like Samsung phones. I could be crazy though.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Why are you posting on the Note 4 forum then?

Hmm, I didn't realize this is a just a Love in for Note 4 owners. I thought this a forum for an open discussion where all opinions are welcome. I would bet that most people here, while planning to purchase a N4, still haven't gotten one. Many, like me, are undecided and are trying to get others input here. I own a N3 and might upgrade to a N4 if it seems to me that the N4 has fixed many of the N3 issues, including poor reception, poor GPS connectivity, unacceptable low light camera performance. There are just too few N4 sold to know whether these concerns have been sufficiently fixed. Hopefully they have, but I certainly would not upgrade just because the phone looks that much better. IMO, it doesn't.

I am sorry if you don't like my opinion. You are entitled to yours except for criticising people for theirs.

Last edited:

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought Apple was not smart getting rid of the design of their phone. I think the iPhone looks more like various Android's from 2011-2012 with the rounded edges. I also can't shake the crazy thought that maybe Samsung wants their phones to look like Samsung phones. I could be crazy though.

I think you are right that Samsung wants its phones to look like Samsung phones. They have done well with that look for years, and aren't willing to make major changes in that look, perhaps out of fear of change. Still imagine car models not changing year after year and how boring that would become. How would they continue to maintain new car sales?

You might argue that Apple should have never changed the IPhone look, but so far, it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales. In fact, it has been the most successful new product rollout for them, ever! (We can argue that's only because of the bigger screen that they finally offer. ) In the case of Apple, since there are not that many new features, get people to buy by giving them something new to look at, just like a bigger more roomy, new model car.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you are right that Samsung wants its phones to look like Samsung phones. They have done well with that look for years, and aren't willing to make major changes in that look, perhaps out of fear of change. Still imagine car models not changing year after year and how boring that would become. How would they continue to maintain new car sales?

You might argue that Apple should have never changed the IPhone look, but so far, it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales. In fact, it has been the most successful new product rollout for them, ever! (We can argue that's only because of the bigger screen that they finally offer. ) In the case of Apple, since there are not that many new features, get people to buy by giving them something new to look at, just like a bigger more roomy, new model car.

Apple could release a triangular shaped phone and people would still buy it. So let's not act like the changes they made are justified by the amount of sales they have. And even if it WAS, who cares? I am just saying that my opinion, is that it looked much better before.

As far as phones changing, Samsung DID make changes to their Note 4 from previous iterations of Samsung devices. I'm not sure if you've heard, but they use metal now. That's a HUGE HUGE change from Samsung. You're the only person i've read in hundreds of reviews/opinions/articles/comment boards/forums that isn't giving them credit for the new design language they are using. I look at a 1998 Chevy Corvette, and then I look at a 2015 Corvette, and I can tell you right off the bat that they're both Vette's. However, clearly the 2015 Vette uses some new style and a few subtle changes to make it look better, while still following the design language of the past which made them popular. Samsung is doing exactly that. I know it's tons of fun to be extra critical on Samsung and everybody's doing it, but let's still be reasonable in our criticisms and give them credit where it's due. I'm not going to waste my time doing it but if I did some research i'd bet the majority of people 6 months ago who was making fun of Samsung plastic, is still being hard on them now when they have a new metal design language. Now it's that the metal scratches easy, or that they need to drop the physical home button, or the fake leather on the back. There's dozens of other phone options out there. If you don't like Samsung, NO ONE will force you to get one.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Apple could release a triangular shaped phone and people would still buy it. So let's not act like the changes they made are justified by the amount of sales they have. And even if it WAS, who cares? I am just saying that my opinion, is that it looked much better before.

As far as phones changing, Samsung DID make changes to their Note 4 from previous iterations of Samsung devices. I'm not sure if you've heard, but they use metal now. That's a HUGE HUGE change from Samsung. You're the only person i've read in hundreds of reviews/opinions/articles/comment boards/forums that isn't giving them credit for the new design language they are using. I look at a 1998 Chevy Corvette, and then I look at a 2015 Corvette, and I can tell you right off the bat that they're both Vette's. However, clearly the 2015 Vette uses some new style and a few subtle changes to make it look better, while still following the design language of the past which made them popular. Samsung is doing exactly that. I know it's tons of fun to be extra critical on Samsung and everybody's doing it, but let's still be reasonable in our criticisms and give them credit where it's due. I'm not going to waste my time doing it but if I did some research i'd bet the majority of people 6 months ago who was making fun of Samsung plastic, is still being hard on them now when they have a new metal design language. Now it's that the metal scratches easy, or that they need to drop the physical home button, or the fake leather on the back. There's dozens of other phone options out there. If you don't like Samsung, NO ONE will force you to get one.
I do like Samsung. I DO own a N3.

I am not the only one who feels Samsung could have done more to improve the looks of there phones. In fact, Samsung fired their head of their design team last spring.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsungs-mobile-design-chief-is-out_id55910
I doubt that the N4 shows the new design chief's full influence. Wait until next year.

I will probably buy a N4, not because of its new body styling, but because of what's new under the hood. We can argue appearance till the cows come home. (I didn't have a problem with the fake stiching or plastic frame on the N3). The vast majority of owners slap a plastic case on the phone and seldom again look at the phone itself and its metal frame, unless they need to change a battery, SD card, or sell their phone.

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do like Samsung. I DO own a N3.

I am not the only one who feels Samsung could have done more to improve the looks of there phones. In fact, Samsung fired their head of their design team last spring.
Samsung's mobile design chief is out
I doubt that the N4 shows the new design chief's full influence. Wait until next year.

I will probably buy a N4, not because of its new body styling, but because of what's new under the hood. We can argue appearance till the cows come home. (I didn't have a problem with the fake sticking or plastic frame on the N3). The vast majority of owners slap a plastic case on the phone and seldom again look at the phone itself and its metal frame, unless they need to change a battery, SD card, or sell their phone.

I am one of those that puts a plastic case on. I don't care too much whether it's metal or not, although I will say that the metal looks outstanding on this device. Both of my brother's own the N3 and I love the design of that as well. My comments were only partially directly at you. The part about people not liking Samsung was a general statement. So many people complain just for the sake of complaining while they could easily get exactly what they want based on the variety that exists out there. I don't disagree that Samsung might have more changes up their sleeve in their design pipeline. I would argue that that is a statement straight from the mouth of our good friend Captain Obvious. I also think it's obvious that any manufacturer could always do something more to improve the visual aspect of their devices. The trick is to not fall into the trap of never being able to appreciate what something brings to the table because there always could've been more. Expecting perfection is great, never being happy is not.