Note 4 Pedometer Very Inaccurate

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I turned on S Health yesterday and activated the pedometer. I noticed that it seemed to be over counting steps so I tried a wee experiment. I stood in my living room, noted the number of steps on the pedometer and then took exactly 3 steps. I then looked again and saw that the pedometer had counted them as 20 steps!

Is this normal for Galaxy's and/or Note 4's? I've never used a pedometer before, but if this is what it is like, then it is basically useless!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I used it for a full 5 minutes and at least for that time, it worked fine for me. But since I have a Moto360, I really don't need the phone wasting battery on something my watch is already doing. Plus, I don't always have my phone in my pocket, so... The downside to activating the pedometer, it seems, it's that once you pause the step counting, it will nag you eeeevery day about you not using it for a while. I had to reset S-Health data to clear that.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think S Health is all it is cracked up to be and I have serious doubts about the blood oxygen monitor too. It was reading 88% on me and since I have a CPAP, I know it is higher than that. I have it tested a lot and it is usually around 97%.

Perhaps they should stop trying to gedgetize things quite so much.

Mike Spranger

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
fwiw - i tried a fitbit and an up24, and i think the note 4 is better than those 2. I'm also thinking it's impossible to get it right. i think they'll always be wrong, but for me, the value is more in seeing trends, more than actual # of steps. i don't care if i took 10,000 or 1,000 yesterday, but i do care if i took more today than i did yesterday. so as long as this thing is off by a consistent amount, i'll be satisfied, if not happy.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I tested the O2 thingy as well as the heartrate monitor and out of 10 tests, 8 were pretty accurate (I tested this at a med lab hehe, so calibrated, dedicated instruments were used to compare); the other 2 were about 10% off, which for this to be used as REFERENCE it's not that bad.

Pedometers will always be off, especially from vibrations like when driving a car or even the position you hold the counting device (it's not the same to have your watch and you swinging your arms around while walking that having the same watch on your arm on a cast).

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The only thing any of these things can really count is shaking the device and GPS movement. The former is not very different between walking, waving the phone in the hand, and road bumps. The latter is not precise enough for a step. Would be curious to see comparison of devices, but none have the magic to detect "steps".

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I've also noticed shealth getting carried away with steps, but it's been more of a curiosity that something I've rigorously tested. I've put a pedometer app on all of my past smartphones, and none have been perfect. I think SHealth has been the most accurate so far.

My particular use case is that I like to be reminded to get up and move around throughout the day, and I like to ensure that I have at least some base-line level of exercise day-to-day, as I have a sedentary job (programmer/analyst). SHealth is way better than other 3rd party apps I've tried.

I will mention how silly I believe the heartbeat (etc.) monitor is. Why would I need to be able to read my blood-oxygen level? I guess if I was trapped in a cave and concerned I was suffocating? I feel like little pointless bells and whistles such as this are only included to justify the ever-rising cost of entry.

If someone has thought of a compelling reason for reading your blood-oxygen levels, please correct me.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 pedometer was useless along with the Galaxy Gear and Moto 360 pedometers. I compared my readings to the Fitbit. On average when I compared the Fitbit against the Galaxy Gear, it was off by 11-12% which is somewhat better. I now just use my Fitbit in my pocket and disable the others. Maybe in another 6 months, I will try again. It has improved decently within the last year.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
9b07f2f5a5cb7af2e365a172978585cf.jpg
47503eb273e7a4e8c115afebc48b7edc.jpg

There's the difference

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing I can see a blood oxygen level check for would be for those like me with sleep apnea and on a CPAP. Even then, it is not important as once your blood O2 starts getting too low, you feel it. So, yeah, it is probably more of a marketing thing on smartphones.

One thing I was wondering is how much battery drain the pedometer causes. I only tried it part of one day, but it seemed that my battery drained a bit faster with it on.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Too much for one thread. Researching pedometers will give you great information. However, a few things to sum up...

- The more movement, the more inaccurate it will be. The best bet would be to have your phone clipped to your waist to get the best read. If it's in your loose pocket/handbag/whatnot, it will have more chance of movement and more chance to fault.

- In line with above, those who have their pedometer loose while driving will pick up the same movement. Personally I have a FitBit One which I clip to my pocket. I read people complaining about excess steps while driving. If it's loose in your pocket, or even as a pendant around your neck, there's more movement. Clipped to your belt/pants/dress, it should be almost as still as you are. I only tested it once, but I drove about 10 miles and it didn't add a single step.

- I also think Mark is pretty accurate in saying it's more about consistency and challenging yourself. If the pedometer you're using is always off by 20%, then at least it's consistent and you challenge yourself against that.

- Personally, my FitBit One seems to be highly accurate, and it even tracks flights of stairs, which is really cool. It gets me to take stairs more often to challenge myself.

Basem MK

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
As much as I love the note 4 (I've owned every note) the pedometer is definitely way off as mentioned by other being loose in your pockets I guess, but I compared my note 4 to my 6 plus and the 6 plus tends too have a better real accurate reading as well as when I'm driving which is amazing don't get me wrong I'm not an apple fan boy here but truth be told. I still use my note 4 over my 6 plus for my daily gadget due to other features and freedom the note 4 gives me. I tend to pause my pedometer when I'm driving or in office and this way I get a more accurate true reading.

RJCBoehm

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
If someone has thought of a compelling reason for reading your blood-oxygen levels, please correct me.

Actually, I almost bought an SpO2 sensor for $30-$60 about 4 months ago, as my blood ox level is my way of telling if chest pains are something I need to check into. After three pulmonary emboli in 4 years, I don't really enjoy rushing to the ER every time I have an anxiety attack, and because of my history, not even my regular doctor will check my SpO2 if I ask. I didn't even know my phone had this option until I opened S Health. Saves me having to carry something else. I bet diabetics are waiting for a glucose tester. :)

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Or for those of us who have to be on a CPAP, it helps us to monitor the effectiveness of the unit as sleep apnea lowers SpO2.