LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused by what that boat is supposed to represent. I can get a boat if I don't insure my phone? Can I not also get a boat if I DO insure my phone? Is that a question they ask when you try to purchase watercraft?

I think the message is if you don't waste money, you can afford cool things. The problem is, 'wasting' is relative as is 'cool things'. Cause I'd say if you didn't waste money on a boat, you could afford season tickets to your favorite baseball, basketball, or football team.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I am considering going with Square Trade as well. I'm currently using Asurion through at&t. I received a mailer from Asurion sometime over the summer stating that the deductibles are being reduced to $99.00 if you have not filed a claim in 12 months or more. Well, I haven't filed any claims in over 10 years (back in the flip phone days, lol). I'm paying around $7.00 per month, I think, so the Square Trade sounds pretty good.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that they do not cover loss or theft. I've never had a phone stolen or lost, but you never know. It could be pretty hard to come up with the funds for the purchase of a new device at full retail. Since I am on Next with at&t, if that happened, it would probably be cheaper to finish paying off the phone and use a backup until I can get another phone.

When I was researching their website, it seemed to me that if a replacement device is needed, they issue a check for the cost of the phone so you can simply purchase a new device. Is this correct, or do they issue a new or refurbished device to you?

I'm just kind of torn as to which route to take with this. The only thing I'm sure of at this point is that I don't want to be without some kind of insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App on my awesome Note 4

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've only used Square Trade once and that was a few years ago. They sent a brand new phone in the original packaging.

I think they only send a check if they don't have your specific device in stock..

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
As far as value, I wonder what the best option is:

1: buy a case and screen protector (maybe $50 for both? But if the screen or phone still breaks, sol and still pay $800 to replace)

Or

2: sign up for insurance and go naked ($60 for one year*, only pay additional $75 IF needed)

*only saying a year because I usually change phones after a year.

bdgriff

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I also went Squaretrade, if you sign up for 2 yrs it's $99.00....good deal if u ask me

Posted via the Android Central App

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
So how does Square trade work? I mean how is your phone replaced through them?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You contact them via phone or email and they then email you a prepaid shipping label. You print that label and mail back to them for free. They get the phone and mail you a new one out.

When I used it a few years ago the total time was 4 days and that's from the day of the call to a new phone in hand.

They have several centers across the US so where you mail it to depends on what state you live in.

Last edited:

theoretically

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You contact them via phone or email and they then email you a prepaid shipping label. You print that label and mail back to them for free. They get the phone and mail you a new one out.

When I used it a few years ago the total time was 4 days and that's from the day of the call to a new phone in hand.

They have several centers across the US so where you mail it to depends on what state you live in.
When they replace your phone do they send you one in the box with original accessories? When I used asurion thru verizon it was nice they let me keep the back cover, s pen and battery from my note 3 and sent me a replacement one in box with new everything

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
When they replace your phone do they send you one in the box with original accessories? When I used asurion thru verizon it was nice they let me keep the back cover, s pen and battery from my note 3 and sent me a replacement one in box with new everything

The one and only time I used the service I sent them the damaged phone only and I received a brand new in box replacement with all accessories included. I kept the battery, cords and every thing else from the original phone.

Not sure how they'd do the Note and if they'd want the pen sent in with the broken unit.

anon(66956)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Another think I like with SquareTrade is that if you move on to a new phone after purchasing the warranty as a one-time purchase you can cancel the plan and they'll refund you the difference of the unearned premium.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Even though I'm probably going to get squaretrade, it's an interesting proposition...

These companies are basically saying, "I'll bet you $100 (just average of different options and easy number) that you won't break your phone over the next two years."

We are saying, "I'll bet you $100 we will break are phones!"

I find that to be both ironic and funny!

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't pay for phone insurance. Seven family members with seven phones on my plan (three Note 4's, two S4's, one S5, and one Moto X). To insure all of them would be about a grand per year. I'm keeping my old Note 2 as a backup. If anyone breaks or loses their current phone, they can use that one until they become eligible for another phone upgrade (which I think is 20 or 22 months on Sprint). I think I come out ahead, based on past experience.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
That was a confusing post, can you elaborate?
Lol. Basically, the insurance company wins if you don't break your phone and they take your money for nothing. They are betting you won't break it. That's how they win.

You are betting you will break the phone because if you break it and have insurance, you get a deal on the replacement.

It's funny that a company has more confidence in you that you do! They also have data to suggest they are right.... So, in reality most people don't need insurance. The fear drives us to get it. I'm one of those people too.

It almost is like saying, don't buy a case or screen protector and get insurance and take of your phone... And according to insurance companies, you are most likely to keep your phone in good shape and never need a replacement. So maybe cases and screen protectors are just a waste of money OR maybe insurance is....

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Bit what about getting stuck with a lemon beyond the manufacturers warranty? I had a red SGIII that loved. I took it out of the case which was unusual for me and I dropped it. Shattered the screen. I didn't have another Android device so I was stuck with a BlackBerry until I got this one.
And about the lemon phone, the is a thread on Crackberry right now about a customer getting nowhere trying to exchange a BlackBerry Passport with a listing screen.
In those instances, having insurance would be good.
Personally, I've only insured devices I've bought outright. Now I'm insuring them all.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Bit what about getting stuck with a lemon beyond the manufacturers warranty? I had a red SGIII that loved. I took it out of the case which was unusual for me and I dropped it. Shattered the screen. I didn't have another Android device so I was stuck with a BlackBerry until I got this one.
And about the lemon phone, the is a thread on Crackberry right now about a customer getting nowhere trying to exchange a BlackBerry Passport with a listing screen.
In those instances, having insurance would be good.
Personally, I've only insured devices I've bought outright. Now I'm insuring them all.

I hear you, but wouldn't a lemon be identified as a lemon before 12 months (standard company warranty period) was up?

Also, I usually get a new phone every year. Having a case and sp help me in reselling my phone, that's a big reason I use them.