Can't turn off "Read Notifications Aloud"

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This just started, and I don't know why, but now when I get a call from one of my "favorite" contacts, in addition to playing the ring tone, a computerized voice announces, "Incoming call from home [or whomever]".

I've found what must be the setting, under the "Language and input" category, "Read Notifications Aloud." But when I click on that, I get this screen where four options are checked, and they are all grayed out so that I can't change any of them:

Screenshot_2014-11-06-19-24-05.jpg

I can't recall doing anything that could have caused this. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the accessibility settings to see if anything like talk back is on or anything. And I see you have blocking mode on (I think). Was this happening before you turned that on?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Talkback is off, I think I've checked all settings I can think of. I was using blocking mode for days before this started, but I tried turning it off just now just in case, no difference. I should have mentioned that this is a Sprint phone, in case that might matter.

Thanks.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Talkback is off, I think I've checked all settings I can think of. I was using blocking mode for days before this started, but I tried turning it off just now just in case, no difference. I should have mentioned that this is a Sprint phone, in case that might matter.

Thanks.

Have you downloaded commandr or any app for hands free? I had commandr and it kept talking out loud so I uninstalled it and everything went back to normal

Posted via the Android Central App

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've fixed this and decided to post some info about it (even though others are unlikely to experience the problem), just to make clear that it doesn't appear to have been a fault of the Note 4 at all.

I have long used the My Backup Pro app to back up my Note 2. It works well to back up apps, photos, contacts, phone logs, text messages, settings, and more. I did a backup of my Note 2 just before getting my Note 4 and restored that backup to the Note 4, which went a long way toward getting everything I wanted on my Note 4. My mistake, though, was that in the restore process where it gives options of what to restore, I left all boxes checked, one of which is "System Settings."

Through the process of doing a factory reset on my Note 4 last night (which solved the problem of the stuck settings for "Read Notifications Aloud") and then restoring my old backup again (which also restored the stuck settings!), I finally looked at the restore options, did the process all over again without restoring System Settings, and the problem did not come back. There must have been some incompatible Note 2 system settings that got transferred to the Note 4 and gummed up the works.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non