Has talking calculator mystery ever been definitively solved on the Note 4?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It was with a bit of amusement that I tried to fix my wife's brand new Note 4's "talking" calculator issue. It was driving her crazy and it made me smile to see just how annoyed it made her - but I also wanted to fix it even though her distress was mildly amusing.

I researched, searched, read and tried all the various suggestions on how to get the darn built in calculator app to stop talking to her when she used it. Nothing worked - so she reluctantly went to the Play Store and downloaded a free calculator app that suited her - which is what I suggested from the start....and that seemed to be the end of it.

Well now MY freakin' Note 4 just started doing it! And it is annoying - and yes I know I can download a free calculator app that won't talk - but that's not the point. I want the stock app to work the way I want it to without having to download an app that does the same thing (minus the talking). The ONLY thing I changed prior to the calculator beginning to talk is I enabled the voice command for my camera. Not sure if there's a link or not - but even if I turn voice commands off in the camera now the calculator still talks. :mad:

Anyway - I've tried all the suggestions in all the other threads about fixing this but nothing seems to work. Just wondering if I maybe missed a definitive final "this fixes it" answer somewhere along the way. Our Note 4's are on VZW if that helps.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any apps that are using Accessibility services? TouchWiz has always had issues with TalkBack being activated with certain apps that use Accessibility. Try disabling any apps you have there (Settings, Device, Accessibility) and see if that helps.

I think LastPass even has this listed as a known bug, and I remember NoLED being that way on the Note 2.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
well I do see "light flow" listed at the very bottom of the accessibility screen - but it's checked "off" - everything else there is "off" as well.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Force Stopped it and yes - it made calculator stop talking! Problem is I like Light Flow - I like having different colored LED's for different notifications. :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know, but LightFlow has usually been one of the apps that have this annoying TalkBack issue with Samsung phones. You might want to let the LightFlow devs know about it, they might be able to either suggest something or fix it on their end.

At least it's no longer talking :p

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
.......or just download another calculator app from the PlayStore (I use Calculator Plus), and the problem is solved.

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Force Stopped it and yes - it made calculator stop talking! Problem is I like Light Flow - I like having different colored LED's for different notifications. :(

My Calculator never "spoke" to me, but as soon as I installed the Push Bullet app to give it a try, the next day when I used my Calculator, the dam thing was speaking the numbers! Had to turn off Push Bullet in the Accessibility settings! (Don't think it's anything to do w/voice setting in the camera, I've had mine enabled & haven't had any issue until I installed the Push bullet app.)
Guess you could keep Light Flow turned on, you'd just have to turn it off before you use your calculator. No, it's certainly not ideal, but it'll let you keep both with no one talking back to you!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!