WiFi constantly scanning. Normal?

lagunarad

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this. WiFi is Connected to my router, so why would it keep scanning and does this impact battery life?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-14-23-09-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-14-23-09-54.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 116

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to know this too. Why is it constantly scanning when it's already connected to the router? What's worse is that my phone sometimes says "not in range, remembered" when I'm sitting right next to the router.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to know this too. Why is it constantly scanning when it's already connected to the router? What's worse is that my phone sometimes says "not in range, remembered" when I'm sitting right next to the router.

Try going into Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > (on my Note 4, I tap the 3 vertical dots at the top of the screen) Advanced > make sure "Always allow scanning" is NOT checked.

Posted via the Android Central App on my bodaciously awesome Note 4!

lagunarad

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Try going into Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > (on my Note 4, I tap the 3 vertical dots at the top of the screen) Advanced > make sure "Always allow scanning" is NOT checked.

Forgot to mention that always allow scanning is not checked, but it still constantly scans. That said, I have only noticed this when on my home network. I have never noticed this on other wireless networks, but then again I have never looked.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Forgot to mention that always allow scanning is not checked, but it still constantly scans. That said, I have only noticed this when on my home network. I have never noticed this on other wireless networks, but then again I have never looked.

I looked at my Note 4, and mine does the same thing...doesn't seem to affect battery life much, though. IDK if it's because my router is dual band (?) or what. It has standard and 5g capabilities.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I looked at my Note 4, and mine does the same thing...doesn't seem to affect battery life much, though. IDK if it's because my router is dual band (?) or what. It has standard and 5g capabilities.

"Always allow scanning" in advanced is disabled but it still does it, whether it's on 2.4 or 5GHz. Do you also get a message sometimes when connecting to wifi that the AP is not in range? It only happens occasionally but I don't know why.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
"Always allow scanning" in advanced is disabled but it still does it, whether it's on 2.4 or 5GHz. Do you also get a message sometimes when connecting to wifi that the AP is not in range? It only happens occasionally but I don't know why.

No, I've never received that message.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Must be the router then, never had this until I got a new Netgear one.

Have you tried rebooting the router? Maybe that will help. You may also want to see if there are any updates for the router as well.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting the router? Maybe that will help. You may also want to see if there are any updates for the router as well.

Thanks, yes I did all that. Strange enough it never does it when connected to 2.4, only 5. Maybe it's something to do with 802.11ac but it's not a huge deal anyway.

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, yes I did all that. Strange enough it never does it when connected to 2.4, only 5. Maybe it's something to do with 802.11ac but it's not a huge deal anyway.

Oh, ok. Maybe that's why mine never gave me that message. I've never connected to the 5g. I was going to try it when I first got the router, but my printer wouldn't connect to it. Haven't tried it since. It's a Netgear R6300.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't care that the Note 4 is constantly scanning. I get 12 -16 hours with over 40% battery charge left on a daily basis. With the performance I get from my Note 4 it can constantly do cart wheels if that makes it happy cause this phone surely makes me happy.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Oh, ok. Maybe that's why mine never gave me that message. I've never connected to the 5g. I was going to try it when I first got the router, but my printer wouldn't connect to it. Haven't tried it since. It's a Netgear R6300.

If your router is simultaneous dual band 2.4 and 5GHz then all devices should be able to connect to it at the same time, whatever frequency they use. My printer is on 2.4 and Note is on 5G and both are just fine. Also the Note is so much faster on 5 GHz, connects at 866 Mbps most of the time.

Last edited:

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Mine does the same thing. I DID have allow scanning checked, but even after I unchecked it, it is still scanning. It's just now it stops for may be 10 seconds break before it shows back up on the screen. BTW, Im also using the same name router.

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

lagunarad

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

I have never seen the AP is not in range that you mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez