N915G camera unusable outdoors in daylight

debgary11

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Both my screen and more importantly my camera are almost black when viewed outdoors in daylight. The problem makes it extremely difficult to take pics with the camera as I'm shooting blindfolded. Also I can't see the screen sufficiently to make calls or txt when outside, even in the shade. I'm bitterly disappointed at this aspect of the phone and camera.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it as it's still very new and I could potentially get my money back and buy something with a decent display capability outdoors, thus allowing me to use the camera outdoors during the day.

Can anyone make some suggestions on settings to address this awful problem? At first I thought the camera was busted, and the screen in general, or something, but then it worked perfectly indoors. It's very bad outdoors and I hope to get a workable solution/suggestion.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sure this is just a matter of settings adjustment, as my screen is very bright and vivid outdoors, and so are everybody else's (unless, of course, your screen/ambient sensor is defective). Let's try to debug this, shall we?

Make sure your Brightness settings are set to AUTO. Setting your Auto Adjust Screen Tone to active also helps. If this is working, when you're in direct sunlight, your screen will kick into full-on brightness, but not only that, the colors are enhanced and shadows are counteracted (it's hard to explain, it looks like magic haha but shadows on the screen become highlights on the image...it's cool to watch haha).

That should help a lot!

debgary11

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It's working :), but I'll wait for the sun to rise fully before I commit 100%. I'm sure it will be fine thanks to your help.

My country ISO is Australia and I'm on 3G currently (4G in about 24 hours time :)), with Optus (OPS), running KitKat 4.4.4 stock, and no modifications.

My 'Screen Brightness' is now on 'AUTO' and set to '+2 Brightness'. The 'Screen Mode' is also 'Adaptive'.
'Screen Output' is off, and these are all the relevant screen settings I could identify. This combination is working.

If it fails again, then I know the screen/ambient sensor is defective. A friend has the same model and it works perfectly outdoors, but mine is a freak out disaster. No warranty unfortunately.

I've seen another post where others were complaining of exactly the same issue and seemed ok with it......., but I simply can't use the camera effectively, nor see the screen at all. Because there's no warranty, and all repairs will be paid for...... I need to ensure it's not a settings issue and you've helped to confirm that as the probable cause.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hope the settings work. I know how frustrating it can be to take pictures on a screen you can't see or need to juggle to cast a shadow on the screen to see it.

But if your Note is working properly, it shouldn't be the case (unless you're really blind or wearing really dark sunglasses).

NCzerniak83

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 camera failed please help

MuhhntkM-3zqBcwNQMqkD5XDLTT0uKb7twta2s3WpxbTKgbd8JcZ-HocY7FXZ1FBHaCpCWuT7HQ2Uyo=w2560-h2560

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty