Is it better to store photos/videos to the SD Card or the Phone Memory?

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a 64 GB SanDisk SD Card (Class 1) in my phone. By default it seems my Note 4 on Lollipop is saving the pics/videos to the SD Card. Is it better to keep it this way or to choose the phone storage since it's snappier? Mind you the videos I take are HD Videos @ 60 FPS.

If you do recommend to change the setting to the phone, where could that setting be found in Lollipop?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My vote is on the SD card and also set them to upload to Dropbox. This is the way I'm set up and feel secure not to loose them.

SD cards can be problematic and a lot of time give no warning. This is one reason to send them to Dropbox. Keeping larger photo/video files on the phones memory will eat up space very fast. I'd rather keep operating system/app space as much as possible. I'm sure I could keep going on reasons why, but these alone are a enough for me to stay the way I'm configured.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My vote is on the SD card and also set them to upload to Dropbox. This is the way I'm set up and feel secure not to loose them.

SD cards can be problematic and a lot of time give no warning. This is one reason to send them to Dropbox. Keeping larger photo/video files on the phones memory will eat up space very fast. I'd rather keep operating system/app space as much as possible. I'm sure I could keep going on reasons why, but these alone are a enough for me to stay the way I'm configured.

+2

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Right so I'll keep it as it is. I don't use Dropbox after Hillary Clinton took over due to privacy concerns as now they are allowed to peak into your stuff. I use OneDrive instead but do not upload photos automatically, what I do is every few days I cut/paste all the photos in my DCIM folder and sort them automatically in the respective folders which are then uploaded to OneDrive so this way I only upload the photos I wanna keep but thanks for the suggestion.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
SD card and have unlimited Amazon photo cloud backup as part of Amazon Prime.

Posted via the Android Central App

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I realize I am in the minority here, but I prefer to keep the default to the phone. The response is much quicker, and if I want to take a second shot, then I can get back on to it that much quicker. That little added delay accessing the micro sd card is annoying to me. the shots I want to keep I manually upload to Google drive, and remove them from my phone. which keeps me from not letting my phone get cluttered with a bunch of old photos.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I realize I am in the minority here, but I prefer to keep the default to the phone. The response is much quicker, and if I want to take a second shot, then I can get back on to it that much quicker. That little added delay accessing the micro sd card is annoying to me. the shots I want to keep I manually upload to Google drive, and remove them from my phone. which keeps me from not letting my phone get cluttered with a bunch of old photos.

ok that's what I'll do then. thanks for the suggestion. Speed is the most important to me.

br808

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why some pix are saved to the phone and some saved to the SD card. Today I took a number of pix and the locations are mixed.

Also, I found that I have more options to share the pix that are on the SD card vs on the phone. Why is that?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why some pix are saved to the phone and some saved to the SD card. Today I took a number of pix and the locations are mixed.

Also, I found that I have more options to share the pix that are on the SD card vs on the phone. Why is that?

Burst shots will save to the phone regardless of your default. Did you take some in burst mode?

dmytromr

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

May be some shots you make in a burst mode. So it saves photos in the phone memory by default.

krauster

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am considering buying an SD card for my Note4. Somewhere I've read people saying that everything (not just camera and pictures) on their Note4 slowed down after installing an SDcard.

Question1: does that slow down make sense?

Question2: if I buy a faster/better card can that be avoided?

Question3: I take pictures and store on Dropbox, Google Drive google +, google picassa (haven't figured out the difference). I could do Flickr or OneDrive or AmazonPrime as suggested by others. But the main reason for buying an SD card is to put my music collection currently in itunes on a PC, into my phone and play through a player like Rocket Player. Using the phone's memory right now I just drag and drop from the PC's itunes folder straight to the Music folder on the phone. If storing my music on my phone is my main reason for buying an SD card should I be concerned about slowdown or slowness of an SD card.

That all being said I am willing to spend the bucks right now on a good fast 64G or 128G card. Any recommendations?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the card is slow (a Class 4 card) it's going to slow everything down. If the card gets corrupted (cheap cards are more prone to this than SanDisk cards), it will slow things down. A U1 (or Class 10 - same thing, different numbering system) card won't slow most phones down. (Use a U3 if you take 4K pics.)

I prefer the SD card + cloud backup for an additional reason to those stated here - PhotoRec. Unless the card is physically damaged, PhotoRec will recover files even if you format or repartition the card. (And TestDisk, its companion program, will restore the old partitioning.)

Things happen. Having a backup on a hard drive and another two on different cloud accounts is safe - being able to restore a formatted SD card is handy. (Restoring an accidentally factory reset phone takes a long time, and the phone has to be rooted before it happens.)

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung 64gb class 10 card. I keep all of my music (about 4gb) on there. I once had about 2,500 pictures on there. Loading them up didn't take long but it is unwieldy to have that many images so I've backed them up to my PC. All pictures are backed up via Google Photos so if I really need them, I can access it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you pick up a high speed SD card, like a Class 10, it makes little difference in terms of speed.

Personally, I don't currently have an SD card installed, but if I did I would probably use it to hold pictures as well as other media. Keeping the phone's internal memory free would be worth the slightly increased risk of SD card failure as opposed to internal phone memory.

The flipside to this, of course, is that if you break your phone in the course of taking photos, you can always pull the SD card and salvage your pictures off it. Can't do that as easily with internal memory.

However, I also have my pictures set to upload almost instantly to Google Photos, so if I had an SD card failure or had to reformat the card for some reason, I would lose at most a handful of pictures. If you don't back up as often, internal memory failures are exceedingly rare, far rarer than SD failures (though both do happen).

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Most people don't want to pay the extra for the faster SD cards out but so worth it to me. 128gb Sandisk extreme since launch. Really upset the Note 5 looks like no SD card support, when I upgrade next month. Will have to find an alternative or just settle for the 128gb Note 5...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95