i hate my note 4

justconfused

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
at this moment

i loved it when i first got it. still getting used to not having a physical keyboard as this is the first phone i've had that didnt have a physical slide out qwerty board or something close.

but it really annoys me that when im swyping, (or swipe with an i now) and it puts the wrong word, when i highlight it, and try to swype the right word, it will only register the last 2 letters. i have to to highlight the word, then delete it, then swype the correct word

when im trying to put in punctuation, it gives me all these options for non english letters. so freaking annoying. how do i get rid of that/stop that? anyway i can post pics because i tried to post a link and i have under 10 posts lol. at least i can make a thread though :)

but what im really upset about it i messed something up, ran ccleaner and ended up deleting 80 freaking songs off my phone. 2/3 of my phone's music collection. when i used several programs i installed on my computer for the sole purpose of recovering deleted files, nothing was recovered, which confuses the hell out of me. i even used recuva. well things were recovered, but things i already had :-\

i dont know what to do. any suggestions? any help?

also another thing thats not a big deal but i find weird, is it will let me text a landline phone and wont say its a landline phone. maybe its my carrier (t-mobile) but at&t on my old phone would inform me

help me. help me please

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
but what im really upset about it i messed something up, ran ccleaner and ended up deleting 80 freaking songs off my phone. 2/3 of my phone's music collection. when i used several programs i installed on my computer for the sole purpose of recovering deleted files, nothing was recovered, which confuses the hell out of me. i even used recuva. well things were recovered, but things i already had :-\

i dont know what to do. any suggestions? any help?

First thing to do is get rid of ccleaner from your phone. Why do you have it in the first place?
And you're asking for help after you deleted something that you shouldn't have. How did you get these songs? Did you purchase them? If so, you can re-download them. Are they on your computer? If so, you can drag and drop them to your phone.

justconfused

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i deleted ccleaner. i was doing something on my phone and thought i had a virus, kept running into this popup whenever i opened a new webpage. deleted that annoyance then deleted many of my favorite songs. you say i shouldnt have like i did it on purpose then changed my mind. the songs are gone. they were on my old computer which is gone, i had them on my sd card, i thought that was enough. redownloading 80 songs is cumbersome

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
but it really annoys me that when im swyping, (or swipe with an i now) and it puts the wrong word, when i highlight it, and try to swype the right word, it will only register the last 2 letters. i have to to highlight the word, then delete it, then swype the correct word

when im trying to put in punctuation, it gives me all these options for non english letters. so freaking annoying. how do i get rid of that/stop that? anyway i can post pics because i tried to post a link and i have under 10 posts lol. at least i can make a thread though :)

"soft" keyboards are hard to get used to. The learning curve is steep. It does get better, however. Took me about a month coming from my Blackberry about 4 years ago. I still miss a hard keyboard on occasion.

I would suggest a few things:

1. Your phone has several keyboards built in. I'd suggest opening up anything that asks for text, swiping down the notification, and tapping on "Select keyboard". Try the different ones and see if one of them behaves a little better for you. Many others exist in the Play Store.

2. As far as punctuation, you can long-press on a letter that has the punctuation you want, but to your point that pulls up a LARGE number of alternatives for that letter including accented foreign characters. Tap the "Sym" button and your keyboard will be replaced with one that has punctuation and symbols. That might make it easier to add the punctuation you want for the moment.

3. Every keyboard has settings, they are under settings / general / language and input, or press on the little cog that appears on most keyboards. Some annoying behaviors can be changed in the keyboard settings.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
at this moment

i loved it when i first got it. still getting used to not having a physical keyboard as this is the first phone i've had that didnt have a physical slide out qwerty board or something close.

I assume that you are referring to the stock Samsung keyboard (the one that comes with the phone)? You might try a different keyboard such as Swype.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.nuance.swype.trial&token=Kfw02CMO

Samsung's keyboard only gives 3 potential word matches/predictions to choose from. Swype shows 5 to 10 to pick from. So this might be easier/quicker vs select word, delete, & retype (hope it's right this time).

I've found Swype to be more accurate in the correct word prediction.

SwiftKey is also good.

Samsung's S Pen handwriting keyboard is excellent at recognizing handwriting. It comes with your phone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
All of the predictive keyboards learn your vocabulary and writing style as you use it. So the more you use it the better and better the predicted words are to what you really are trying to say.
The Samsung keyboard has at least one very useful feature that the others mentioned don't. That is the ability to open the clipboard and either choose the clipping you wish to insert or to erase any or all of the clippings.
I personally use Swiftkey for most keyboarding and the Samsung keyboard at least once a day to clear the clipboard.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I would use SwiftKey. It is free now and it also has a swype function.

I used to agree (not to be different than the previous two) but SwiftKey started to flake out on its word predictions (for me at least). It would get almost every other or every third word wrong.

So I tried Swype again and it seems to choose the right words better than SwiftKey.

Could just be me.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung keyboard has at least one very useful feature that the others mentioned don't. That is the ability to open the clipboard and either choose the clipping you wish to insert or to erase any or all of the clippings.
I personally use Swiftkey for most keyboarding and the Samsung keyboard at least once a day to clear the clipboard.

Another option for clipboard is Clipper. It remembers the last 20 copied items. Works with any keyboard. I keep Clipper in the Notification area for quick access.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=org.rojekti.clipper&token=oIvfFknn

justconfused

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i am using swiftkey, lol

but if i want to put an apostrophe s after a friend's name (like i was able to do on my captivate glide) i cant. or if i want to add a back slash, or dollar sign without switching between the symbols and keyboard, and i long press the letter key, i get many options like 4 different versions of the letter b.

justconfused

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
hmm, just downloaded swype, thanks. looks slightly different than it did on my old phone, im going to play around with it. thank you

why is swype no longer automatically on samsung? i cant find any news about it

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
hmm, just downloaded swype, thanks. looks slightly different than it did on my old phone, im going to play around with it. thank you

why is swype no longer automatically on samsung? i cant find any news about it

Manufacture preference for keyboards comes & goes. Likely money (deals) part of decision of what to include by default. Money is the root of all evil. ;^)

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Why do you have CCleaner on your phone? This is not a computer that you need to maintain and clean! get rid of all this garbage and gimmicks and just use the phone

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Try turning of auto correct also. I find auto correct just messes things up when I am trying to establish a new dictionary with a keyboard. Good luck and soon you will wonder how you ever pecked at that manual keyboard. I had a friend who was still using t9 not too long ago on a flip phone and she is now very fluent at typing on the touch screen and loves it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
All of the predictive keyboards learn your vocabulary and writing style as you use it. So the more you use it the better and better the predicted words are to what you really are trying to say.

I had the reverse experience just today. I switched to the Samsung keyboard to try something and found the clipboard there.

You don't need to swap keyboards to get to the clipboard, you can long hold the url field in the stock browser (msndrstood's find!)

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Go into SwiftKey settings, layouts, and uncheck accented characters. Then you should be able to long press and only get the one symbol you need.

justconfused

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the phone, you're just not being very smart....

hey thanks so much for your help! was so appreciated. im sure you're great with customer service

changing to swype made a WORLD of a difference. i love it. im still having trouble with my back button which i never mentioned in the original post but i am much more satisfied with my phone now.