How can I temporarily turn of the fingerprint reader?

Dan Davies1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
OK, I thought the fingerprint reader was pretty cool when I first got the phone, but now it is a real pain. It takes 10 tries before I can unlock my phone! (and I find the password option too cumbersome as well). I still think it's good if I'm traveling or away from home, but when I'm around the house all day...I just want to be able to use my phone! It would be nice to be able to temporarily turn it off and then turn it back on when I'm in a more vulnerable location. When I go into the settings and finger scanner, screen lock and try to select "none", it's grayed out and states "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"? OK, now what?....this sounds like a PC....am I not the administrator? So now I go into settings again to "Security" and to "Device administrators" (I read somewhere to do this) and deactivate my Android device manager....it's the only one checked (do I really want to do this?), then back in "security" to "Credential storage" and to "Clear credentials" and that says: "Attention" "Remove all content?".....this sounds like the wrong way to go. I stopped there. So, how can I simply turn the fingerprint reader off or on when I want to?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you may have an Exchange account setup on your phone; Exchange Server administrators can set a rule which requires any ActiveSync device to be password protected.

As to the poor performance of the fingerprint scanner, I suggest you delete your trained fingerprint(s) and recreate them. You should not be having so much trouble - my fingers read correctly first time, every time (on my Nexus 6P).

Dan Davies1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I have never had an Outlook or Exchange account...though I do have a Microsoft account on my laptop. I'm trying to stay all Google here (perhaps should have gotten a Nexus). I do have Google Sync activated and also see I have Samsung Sync running....hmmm, is this a conflict...and, the problem?....wish I could get rid of the Samsung stuff..their "S-Planner" is always messing me up.

Yes, I thought about re-scanning my fingerprints but suspect I'd have similar results. Occasionally I will get it on the first swipe...maybe 1/10, but usually 5-10 times. And, if I have the slightest amount of moisture, or too dry, forget it. Would be nice to just be able to turn it off and on.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I find the key to consistent fingerprint registration is use one finger only, for me its the right thumb. Register it at least a few times using different orientations predominantly. For example register it swiping straight down, then at a slight angle one way, then another.

Dan Davies1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Actually that's pretty much what I did. Though I did also register the middle finger (which, ironically, works much better than my thumb). When at all damp (sweating, hands in pockets, just washed hands, etc.) my thumb tends to kind of "vibrate" over the glass as it sticks and then frees....think this is predominately the problem.
Still, being able to turn the whole thing off and on is the best solution.....but how?

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
OK, I thought the fingerprint reader was pretty cool when I first got the phone, but now it is a real pain. It takes 10 tries before I can unlock my phone! (and I find the password option too cumbersome as well). I still think it's good if I'm traveling or away from home, but when I'm around the house all day...I just want to be able to use my phone! It would be nice to be able to temporarily turn it off and then turn it back on when I'm in a more vulnerable location. When I go into the settings and finger scanner, screen lock and try to select "none", it's grayed out and states "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"? OK, now what?....this sounds like a PC....am I not the administrator? So now I go into settings again to "Security" and to "Device administrators" (I read somewhere to do this) and deactivate my Android device manager....it's the only one checked (do I really want to do this?), then back in "security" to "Credential storage" and to "Clear credentials" and that says: "Attention" "Remove all content?".....this sounds like the wrong way to go. I stopped there. So, how can I simply turn the fingerprint reader off or on when I want to?

Had the same problem with the scanner and it sucks! Not sure why I never had the issue with my S5, which is older. Got a Nexus 6P and will never go back to a Samsung!

Posted via the Android Central App

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem with the scanner and it sucks! Not sure why I never had the issue with my S5, which is older. Got a Nexus 6P and will never go back to a Samsung!

If you have a nexus6P,why are you on the Note 4 forum.? Hmm!

Dan Davies1

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I agree... I got confused...thought maybe I posted to the wrong forum. Thanks. Still looking for an answer. I could wipe the phone and start from scratch,.....but that's not very convenient! It seems strange that this feature can't easily be easily toggled on and off. Surely someone has an answer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty