Low light problems with fingerprint unlock

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
When I'm trying to unlock my phone, it seems the default attempt is face unlock. The problem is when there's not enough light, and I try to use my fingerprint, there's this lag, which results in the phone not picking up my fingerprint. Anyone else having this problem?

It's easy to replicate. Video coming as soon as I get home.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. It happens every time I break out my phone while walking my dog in the evening. The face unlock lags, so I try the fingerprint sensor, but then it does this awkward thing where I put my finger on the sensor, but the light doesn't shine, so I lift up my finger, then the light shines and doesn't pick anything up. It's like this awkward game of phone tage, but with fingers and light sensors.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah. It happens every time I break out my phone while walking my dog in the evening. The face unlock lags, so I try the fingerprint sensor, but then it does this awkward thing where I put my finger on the sensor, but the light doesn't shine, so I lift up my finger, then the light shines and doesn't pick anything up. It's like this awkward game of phone tage, but with fingers and light sensors.
Mine lights up under fingerprint but just won't unlock with low light , it's weird lol

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
What I do is if I know I'm going to be in low light area I go right to the fingerprint sensor before the face unlock kicks in
Yeah, having used the P6 for 2 years, my thumb knows where to go instinctually when my hand reaches in the pocket for my phone.

It's just weird how it lags and hiccups during that situation.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, having used the P6 for 2 years, my thumb knows where to go instinctually when my hand reaches in the pocket for my phone.

It's just weird how it lags and hiccups during that situation.

I’m seeing very good response to the fingerprint sensor I don’t think I’ve missed at all every time I reach for it …

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
This is the one area I will definitely put in Samsung's favour is the fingerprint unlock. I know I have too much melanin in my skin for face unlock to work properly in dim lighting, but it's frustrating that I have to try multiple times with the fingerprint to get it to work properly.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is the one area I will definitely put in Samsung's favour is the fingerprint unlock. I know I have too much melanin in my skin for face unlock to work properly in dim lighting, but it's frustrating that I have to try multiple times with the fingerprint to get it to work properly.
UNfortunately, the Pixel uses an optical sensor, so your melanin will hinder that, too.

I have to admit, being whiter than snow it never occured to me until right now, but you would think this would be reason enough to upgrade to an ultrasonic sensor... especially with all the talk about how the camera works with any skin tone. I guess it really was just talk.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
UNfortunately, the Pixel uses an optical sensor, so your melanin will hinder that, too.

I have to admit, being whiter than snow it never occured to me until right now, but you would think this would be reason enough to upgrade to an ultrasonic sensor... especially with all the talk about how the camera works with any skin tone. I guess it really was just talk.
Pixels fingerprint scanner currently suck it doesn't work in low light /dark places that's my only gripe.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Pixels fingerprint scanner currently suck it doesn't work in low light /dark places that's my only gripe.
For all my talking crap about the Pixel, I only had fingerprint issues until the Android 13 beta. It's not as quick as a Samsung but it works fine for me now. I gues I'm lucky... and I also have very light, very supple skin lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For all my talking crap about the Pixel, I only had fingerprint issues until the Android 13 beta. It's not as quick as a Samsung but it works fine for me now. I gues I'm lucky... and I also have very light, very supple skin lol.
Hopefully an update can fix this scanner for low light

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently sitting in a room with the only light source is a TV and I am not having an issue with the fingerprint scanner.

How low of light is it that you all are having issues?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently sitting in a room with the only light source is a TV and I am not having an issue with the fingerprint scanner.

How low of light is it that you all are having issues?
Yes in that condition, surprisingly it's working today, don't know if the screen protector had to settle in but will keep an eye on this

Reactions: bkeaver

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos