New Speed Charge/Battery Status Lock Screen with annoying ads "just appeared" on GN4

gooseman47

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
So, 2 days ago, a new lock screen "on top of" my regular lock screen "magically appeared" on my Note 4.

It shows time/date in upper left corner, and a ... menu in the upper right that allows me to turn off speed charging. Then, a % charged indicator, and underneath that, some annoying ad... at the bottom, there is a "slide to unlock", which then goes to my Nova Launcher lock screen, which I have setup with my fingerprint scanner.

So basically, now I have to go through an additional lock screen and view an annoying ad to get into my phone.

I have no idea where this came from, and to the best of my recollection, I haven't added any new apps.

Any idea how to get rid of this?

Thanks for your help!

I had the same problem and found it was the Go keyboards that were causing it. If you're using Go keyboards try uninstalling and check.

Tim Reczek

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
For me the issue was ES App Locker, but the real culprit is one of the Ad Networks that I suspect many of these apps are all using.

You can see all the Ad Networks your applications use through program called Addons Detector (there may be others but this one worked for me).
  1. Install Addons Detector from Google Play
  2. Run a scan (it will update it's database the first time)
  3. When the scan finishes click the big green Addons button
  4. In the Addons screen select Advertising from the filter drop down

ES App Locker uses only two Ad Networks AdMob and Facebook Audience, so I suspect one of these is the culprit.

On my Nexus 9 AdMod is also used by:
  • ES File Explorer
  • PowerPoint
  • Word

and Facebook Audience is used by:
  • App Cache Cleaner
  • ES File Explorer
  • Scrabble
  • Spider

However, at the moment, uninstalling ES App Locker did the trick even though the other apps above also use the same ad networks. It's possible that there are different subscription options that app developers can select from when they use the networks which may explain why some apps using these ad networks cause the problem and others do not (at least for now). Or possible it's something that this new behaviour is getting rolled out by the ad network gradually across all the apps using it.

Either way I'd be interested to hear what ad networks the other programs that people have identified as causing this same issue use.

Hope this helps,
Tim

SAGEBRUSH55

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I too just started receiving this last night.. It is so annoying...

Just figured out it was the New Theme I added from GO SMS.. Deleted it and now its gone..

Last edited by a moderator:

MomoMilky

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this a few days ago on my mom's Note4 when it was charging. Culprit was GoSMS. Uninstalled it and the lock adware screen went away. Now I installed Textra on her phone to use instead.

Uglytuc

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Yep it was GOSMS Pro for me as well. An app that I have been using for years with no issues. Not only is that screen annoying but also dangerous as it would disable my alarm which is a very strange behavior.

carolzdiet

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I had this one too. Deleted several apps. Nothing worked till I deleted what I always thought was a GREAT app. ADVAST! The screen went away. Now..who knows, it might come back...but for now it is gone.
Carol

faraz kazi

May 3, 2016
Visit site
So, 2 days ago, a new lock screen "on top of" my regular lock screen "magically appeared" on my Note 4.

It shows time/date in upper left corner, and a ... menu in the upper right that allows me to turn off speed charging. Then, a % charged indicator, and underneath that, some annoying ad... at the bottom, there is a "slide to unlock", which then goes to my Nova Launcher lock screen, which I have setup with my fingerprint scanner.

So basically, now I have to go through an additional lock screen and view an annoying ad to get into my phone.

I have no idea where this came from, and to the best of my recollection, I haven't added any new apps.

Thanks for your help!

Had the same issue of the Quick Charge Lockscreen.. Noticed the app name that was installed on my phone (Fotorus) accidently while pressing the multitasking button.. The same screen appeared under this app name even though I didn't open this app. uninstalled immediately and problem resolved.

Hope this helps... Cheers

Uristocles

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You see those three dots on the screen. Tap on it and turn off the display of this add. Simple,right ...

/disagree. Any app that does this deserves an uninstall at the very least. A low rating even better.

Anyone recognize this one?
https://imgur.com/mGfTvHP

Or have a suggestion for an app that can trace this down? I've tried malwarebytes and stopbadapp.

NickeyLeann

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I highly recommend "Ad Network Detector" (from the same authors as Lookout Antivirus) because it is really good at identifying adware and telling you what apps to uninstall. The best part is that it doesn't actually make any changes - it just breaks down the ad networks installed on your device, what behaviors each one can engage in, and what apps use them. Uninstall all of the apps that use a misbehaving ad network, and the ad network goes away.

Unfortunately it cannot complete a scan on my Note 4 - but maybe you'll have better luck.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.lookout.addetector&token=uKxR_Nmo

EDIT: If anyone has any alternatives they can suggest that do the same thing but actually work, paid or not, I'd be grateful for the tip. Even the full Lookout doesn't appear to have nearly the full feature set as this one. The only others I've found are from Cheetah Mobile, and installing their stuff on my phone to PREVENT invasive software seems counter-intuitive.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know. I found mine because it had a similar background image to an emoji keyboard I downloaded months ago. However, whenever I went threw Google play. It showed me apps that had been "recently updated" and this was one of them. Good luck guys!

mrjames676

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your help!

A typing app was the culprit on my Motorola Nexus 6. I removed Go Keyboard and this removed the offending lockscreen with ad.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I got this on my s6 edge.

On the ad lock screen in the upper right corner there is a gear icon, that you click and it shows DU Charger. I switched it off. Still not sure what app it is. I just installed SU to root but not sure if it occurred prior.

BahnStormer77

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the same: no new apps, but it started as soon as I enabled the "battery charge booster" in ES File Explorer.

I don't mind paying for ES FileExplorer, but if I can't get an Ad Free version from E Strongs, I'm going to have to find alternatives as they're just wasting resources and screen estate with all their adverts these days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699