Is it still worth buying?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 is still on KitKat. Neither LP or MM has anything to offer me... except maybe sore eyes. How can anyone stand all that white? And N... Heaven only knows what N will bring!

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
How about the Note 5? I got mine with Verizon in January, and it's awesome. The Note 5 has M, and will get N.

I considered that but there are two really big problems with it for me. 1 - It doesn't have expandable storage (and I have a lot of stuff I need to store!) and 2 - it's not actually available where I live (in Europe).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
They did a slight re-design back in January (link below), not to prevent inserting the S-Pen backwards but to prevent damaging the lever inside the silo that detects the S-Pen. What they did was replace the electronic switch with the small lever coming out of it (pic below on the right) with a push button switch and a large hook type lever across it (pic below on the left) to prevent the top end of the S-Pen from getting snagged on it (when inserted backwards). Personally, I'd rather see a return to the Note 4 S-Pen detection mechanism (IMHO a superior one) that doesn't use any components inside the silo. Instead it uses a sensor built into the top edge of the silo (to the right of the back button near the screen) that detects a magnet on the top end of the S-Pen (hover the top end of your S-Pen around the area to see it in action). Not to mention it's easier to pull it out of the silo by just grabbing the edge with a fingernail, whereas the Note 5 you have to first push the S-Pen in to release it then grab and pull.

Confirmed: Samsung changes Galaxy Note 5 internals to fix upside-down S Pen issue | Android Central

View attachment 225598
I feel like Samsung cheaped out when designing the Note5, they paid a lot more attention with the Note 4.

Anyway, I never did take the Note5 seriously TBH, I doubt Samsung did either considering how limited its release was. The sad part is the Note5 is beautifully crafted, I love its design, it feels super expensive, had they kept SD Card and given it at least a 3220mAh battery it would have been a decent step up to the Note 4, due to 4GB RAM and Exynos7420, ah well.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Android Central posted a link to note 4s selling on Ebay for 299 but all they have left are white for 319. I'm thinking of getting one while I wait for the HTC 10 come out because I hate the droid maxx I'm using.
Sounds like a decent price.

Posted via the Android Central App

$259 now.....

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I never did take the Note5 seriously TBH, I doubt Samsung did either considering how limited its release was.
I too think Samsung was "testing the waters" with the Note 5... that's why no EU release. With no removable battery and SD card I'm sure they wanted to see the reaction. I never wanted to say it, but I felt sorry for 32Gb Note 5 owners and now if the Note 6 brings back at least the SD card, what then? Sell their Note 5, I guess. Granted, the Note 5 is "pretty", but SD limited is not the way to go on a media phone!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I too think Samsung was "testing the waters" with the Note 5... that's why no EU release. With no removable battery and SD card I'm sure they wanted to see the reaction. I never wanted to say it, but I felt sorry for 32Gb Note 5 owners and now if the Note 6 brings back at least the SD card, what then? Sell their Note 5, I guess. Granted, the Note 5 is "pretty", but SD limited is not the way to go on a media phone!
Mate, you are spot on, I felt the same for Note5 32GB owners, IMO, it was pointless, so much power limited by memory, just a waste.

The Note5 price will tank hard if the Note6 arrives with MicroSD support.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
May I ask what made you want to sell your S7 edge and consider the note 4? Was there something you didn't like about the S7?

I like everything about the Silver Edge.. like really its like the perfect phone samsung ever made.....BUT....I'm a type of person who uses the phone a lot and I CANT stand waiting when charging my phone. I want something instant 100% so Removable battery is a must for me.. But since I already have a G4 that has removable battery. Im thinking getting the s7 flat silver exynos bc of the size and how it looks.

-S7Edge

jakeuten

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from the Note 3 to the Note 4, (well there was a flirtation with the iP5s in between) and let me just say wow. Everything about this phone screams future proof to me. The display is as good as the current crop of displays, and everything works the way it should. I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Segordon2424

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Note 4 for a year or two at least. Especially now that the bootloader is unlocked. It's so nice to have complete control over the phone again.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Note 4 for a year or two at least. Especially now that the bootloader is unlocked. It's so nice to have complete control over the phone again.

The S7 Edge has a locked bootloader on all carriers so I am thinking the Note 6 will be the same way. I have my Note 4/Note Edge and Note 5 rooted and I will miss being able to do that with the Note 6.

I'm not really using my Note 4/Note Edge phones lately although I do miss being able to swap the battery. On my Note 5/S7 Edge, it takes about 90 minutes to charge them both so it's not too bad but sometimes I don't have time to wait and I can only charge it half way because I have to be somewhere.

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if the OP bought a Note 4 yet. If he has, don't forget to get an extra battery. Nothing beats swapping out the battery and not being tied to a cord for 90 minutes.

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I just upgraded from the Note 3 to the Note 4, (well there was a flirtation with the iP5s in between) and let me just say wow. Everything about this phone screams future proof to me. The display is as good as the current crop of displays, and everything works the way it should. I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Yea, my phone being future proof was something I really wanted and was one of the main reasons I ended up going for the note 4. It seems like it should last a long time and I want mine to last until the next big revolution in the phone industry. :)

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
The S7 Edge has a locked bootloader on all carriers so I am thinking the Note 6 will be the same way. I have my Note 4/Note Edge and Note 5 rooted and I will miss being able to do that with the Note 6.

I'm not really using my Note 4/Note Edge phones lately although I do miss being able to swap the battery. On my Note 5/S7 Edge, it takes about 90 minutes to charge them both so it's not too bad but sometimes I don't have time to wait and I can only charge it half way because I have to be somewhere.

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if the OP bought a Note 4 yet. If he has, don't forget to get an extra battery. Nothing beats swapping out the battery and not being tied to a cord for 90 minutes.

I have bought it! And I am extremely happy with it so far :) Everything has been running smoothly so far: the phone is really fast, the camera is better than I expected it to be and the battery life keeps up with my lifestyle. I am also pleased with the size and design of it.

I definitely love that the battery is removable, it just makes me feel more secure knowing that I can swap it out and that if/when the battery gets old I won't have to replace my phone but only the battery. I love phones, but I am someone who likes having the same phone for a long time and only changing devices when I really need to. Thus having that removable battery is amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa