Is it worth upgrading

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was curious to see what the trade in deals are for the 6 classic 47mm. I can get it for $6/month trading in my 5 44mm. Do I need the 3mm bigger screen or slightly newer hardware? Would the battery life be about the same? Probably. My watch 5 is almost paid off so I could keep it and wait until the 7 is released which might be a while.

I think the question I have to answer is do I see myself on Android for the next 2+ years or switching to iOS in the next couple of years?

My watch 5 is working just fine. It is laggy occasionally but I don't really need to interact with it that much throughout the day.

What would I benefit from buying the watch 6 classic LTE vs BT? My 5 is only BT and I don't see the need to use LTE on a watch. Plus I'm not sure if I have to add an extra line for the LTE 6 if I get it. In that case, it's not really worth it imo.
As far as LTE, if you don't want to leave your phone behind and still have connection to tower for calls and messages then just go with the BT version. I myself leave my phone behind all the time and enjoy the freedom of not carrying a phone around all the time.

I am happy with my 6 classic 47mm, the battery doesn't last as long as my 5 pro, but it's a smaller battery so that is to be expected. I don't experience any lag, if there is it's not noticable to me. I am happy with my decision.

Another thing to ask yourself is do you want the rotating bezel back?

Are you having to trade in your 5 to get the 6 classic. I did that and I got $250 trade in value for my 5 pro.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Are you having to trade in your 5 to get the 6 classic. I did that and I got $250 trade in value for my 5 pro.

I would like to have a rotating bezel.

I am trading in my 5 for $200 off. All in, it's $140 which I'll be paying for over the course of 24 months. I'm almost tempted to wait until Christmas to use money towards it but I'd rather not spend all my Christmas money on it. I have other ideas for it.

I don't mind paying 24 months for it but Samsung financing sucks. If you want to pay extra or pay off one account, you have to call and talk to someone to payoff a specific account. If I pay extra per month, it gets spread out over all the accounts. I currently have 4 open accounts, soon to be 3 next month as my watch 5 will be paid off with one more payment. I have two phones and my Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.

I don't need to upgrade my watch, but it's a good deal that's hard to pass up on. I'm going to wait a couple of days to think about it more.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to have a rotating bezel.

I am trading in my 5 for $200 off. All in, it's $140 which I'll be paying for over the course of 24 months. I'm almost tempted to wait until Christmas to use money towards it but I'd rather not spend all my Christmas money on it. I have other ideas for it.

I don't mind paying 24 months for it but Samsung financing sucks. If you want to pay extra or pay off one account, you have to call and talk to someone to payoff a specific account. If I pay extra per month, it gets spread out over all the accounts. I currently have 4 open accounts, soon to be 3 next month as my watch 5 will be paid off with one more payment. I have two phones and my Galaxy Buds 2 Pro.

I don't need to upgrade my watch, but it's a good deal that's hard to pass up on. I'm going to wait a couple of days to think about it more.
I'm not keen on the bezel on the 6 classic. It is so thin it seems a bit flimsy and weird to use... I am fully willing to admit I have a bias against the watch 6 though.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not keen on the bezel on the 6 classic. It is so thin it seems a bit flimsy and weird to use... I am fully willing to admit I have a bias against the watch 6 though.
I guess I've never noticed that on the bezel, but I don't use it a lot either. I'll have to pay attention to that next time.

I will give the watch 6 classic credit for I think the display is better. I also think the 6 looks better then the 5 pro, I think the 5 pro looks dull to me anyway. I was using the apple ultra and I wanted the bigger screen of the classic 6 47mm screen. I'm also not noticing the lag I had on the 5 pro.. Which I never did until I used the apple ultra and came back to the 5 pro. I have to give apple credit on the ultra, they have the better watch with the ultra.

With that said the 5 or 6 are good watches

Edit.. Just checked my bezel.. It seems good to me. I also agree with you that the 6 isn't much different then the 5 if you take the rotating bezel out of the equation. In regards of 5 pro to 6 classic 47mm, the battery is actually smaller on the 6. I don't think the 6 47mm users more power, it just has smaller battery which I think Samsung screwed that up

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I've never noticed that on the bezel, but I don't use it a lot either. I'll have to pay attention to that next time.

I will give the watch 6 classic credit for I think the display is better. I also think the 6 looks better then the 5 pro, I think the 5 pro looks dull to me anyway. I was using the apple ultra and I wanted the bigger screen of the classic 6 47mm screen. I'm also not noticing the lag I had on the 5 pro.. Which I never did until I used the apple ultra and came back to the 5 pro. I have to give apple credit on the ultra, they have the better watch with the ultra.

With that said the 5 or 6 are good watches

Edit.. Just checked my bezel.. It seems good to me. I also agree with you that the 6 isn't much different then the 5 if you take the rotating bezel out of the equation. In regards of 5 pro to 6 classic 47mm, the battery is actually smaller on the 6. I don't think the 6 47mm users more power, it just has smaller battery which I think Samsung screwed that up
The iWatch Ultra does look like it's probably the best smartwatch on the market, although I've heard it still only gets one day battery, and it's irrelevant to me as I don't buy Apple products.

The big battery downgrade on the 6 Classic has been one of my biggest gripes. A heavier, thicker watch built from less premium materials and a third the battery life? I've come to expect the sidegrade every year, but I'm not giving them money for an actual downgrade. The 6 does actually use more power as well, because it has the same chip as the 5 but overclocked.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You guys have made me reconsider trading in my 5 for the 6 classic. Doesn't seem worth it or an upgrade by any means. I may stick with it for while.

Of course I have a track record of saying I'm not going to buy something new and then I end up doing it. My reasoning has always been, if I can get some new tech without paying anything extra per month that I'm already paying, I usually will upgrade.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You guys have made me reconsider trading in my 5 for the 6 classic. Doesn't seem worth it or an upgrade by any means. I may stick with it for while.

Of course I have a track record of saying I'm not going to buy something new and then I end up doing it. My reasoning has always been, if I can get some new tech without paying anything extra per month that I'm already paying, I usually will upgrade.
If you have the standard 5 the 6 Classic is a bit more of an upgrade... but there still isn't really much in it unless you really want that rotating bezel. And you will still cut your battery life by 20%.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just found this comparison of the specs. Looks pretty much identical with the exception of Bezel and weight/size.

I'm guessing battery life will be about the same. 5 vs 6 classic. I agree that if I had the 5 pro, it would be a downgrade to get the 6 classic. I probably won't notice a difference in the performance or speed of the 6 over the 5.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just found this comparison of the specs. Looks pretty much identical with the exception of Bezel and weight/size.

I'm guessing battery life will be about the same. 5 vs 6 classic. I agree that if I had the 5 pro, it would be a downgrade to get the 6 classic. I probably won't notice a difference in the performance or speed of the 6 over the 5.

Samsung rate the 5 at 50 hours and the 6 Classic at 40 hours.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Even though I can get the watch 6 classic for $118 after trading in my 5, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. I don't really have a good reason to get it. My 5 works just fine. I don't know why I'm struggling with whether to get it or not.

Can someone talk me into it or out of buying it?

It would be a no brainer if I didn't already have a smart watch. I can choose Klarna as a payment and pay for it in 4 payments. It makes more sense to do that than for 24 months through Samsung.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I had to place the order. It's too good of a deal to pass on. I went with Samsung financing for $5/24 months. I will probably pay it off in a few months. It's hard to pass up the watch for $100 + tax.
949f8a77f396f67c50f0c14fbd84d26c.jpg

jnichols16

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
For me, it all came down to the screen. I was getting 2 days on my Watch 4 Classic, and it looked better to my 76 year old eyes did on my regular watches. I still had to peer a bit, but thought I had a fix.

Then, I watched a bunch of YouTubes comparing the Watch 4 with the Watch 6 side by side. The Watch 6 always looked considerably better. Best buy offered a $180 trade in on a watch4 that I had paid $150. I took it, and set the Watch 6 Classic up today.

It's near bed time, and I have 41% left. I ran it very hard today. I have the brightness at about 40%. It looks much better than the Watch 4.

Looks made no difference, I have to look very close to tell the difference between the two. I liked the bezel, so stayed with the Classic. The speed and extra RAM don't seem to make a lot of difference. But, to my older eyes, the upgraded screen is a big deal.

Now I'll work on getting two days from the battery.

Reactions: atliens

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Watch 6 and got 2 free. I like the watch due to the Afib monitor.

The battery life is not great. I do charge every other day but it seems like it drains fast.

I'm a first time samsung watch owner. I had a garmin a couple years ago and the battery life was a lot better.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as LTE, if you don't want to leave your phone behind and still have connection to tower for calls and messages then just go with the BT version. I myself leave my phone behind all the time and enjoy the freedom of not carrying a phone around all the time.

I am happy with my 6 classic 47mm, the battery doesn't last as long as my 5 pro, but it's a smaller battery so that is to be expected. I don't experience any lag, if there is it's not noticable to me. I am happy with my decision.

Do you have Verizon? I'm having trouble adding to Verizon. Spoke to Tech Support and a ticket was opened up to try update their database with the IMEI. I have a feeling it's going to be awhile.

Edit: it is now fixed and watch is working on LTE

Last edited:

atliens

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the Watch 6 and got 2 free. I like the watch due to the Afib monitor.

The battery life is not great. I do charge every other day but it seems like it drains fast.

I'm a first time samsung watch owner. I had a garmin a couple years ago and the battery life was a lot better.

The Galaxy 5 Pro watch was/is better than the 6 as far as battery life is concerned.