How to limit number of open apps accessible in the menu screen?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember that there was a switch that allowed you to set the number of apps that would remain running at any given time and when you reached that number the oldest app would close when a new app was opened.
Now I can't find the option. What can I do to limit the number of open apps running?
Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's just how Android works - if it needs more free RAM, it kills the least recently used (and/or least likely to be needed - the memory manager isn't trivial) app. The one thing you DON'T want to do is leave a lot of free RAM - unused RAM is wasted RAM in Android - this isn't Windows.

About the only way to run out of RAM in Android is to run an app that's requesting more RAM than the phone has. Android will kill everything else if it only has enough RAM in hardware for the foreground app. (It's not a problem, since app apps have to keep their current state at all times, so when you switch to that other app, Android loads it into RAM [killing the one that's running] and tells it to continue rather than starting fresh. To you it appears that both apps are running all the time.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember that there was a switch that allowed you to set the number of apps that would remain running at any given time and when you reached that number the oldest app would close when a new app was opened.
Now I can't find the option. What can I do to limit the number of open apps running?
Thanks.
On the note 4, there was an "active applications" widget. I think that's what you are talking about. I couldn't find it in the note 5

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
On the note 4, there was an "active applications" widget. I think that's what you are talking about. I couldn't find it in the note 5

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Yes, that was what I was trying to remember and find. Thanks for letting me know it is not on the Note 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty