Android System battery drain on my Note 5 when on stand by (Not fixed so far), how can I stop this?

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Android System battery drain in Note 5 when stand by (Not fixed so far)

Hello all, maybe you have seen several threads about this problem "Android System drains the battery". I still post here just because all I learnt from other threads didn't fix my problem. It is the same problem but seems to be caused by different reasons.

I just got my Note 5 (N920I factory unlocked without any contract and using H2O wireless services and running Android 5.1.1) last Thursday and I went to bed with 73% battery, while got up the second day with 50%. This is absolutely unnormal. I noticed most of the battery was consumed by Android System/OS which doesn't make any sense to me. I immediately searched on Google and found this problem exist in different phone models and different versions of Android. I tried everything to fix it but failed.

Here is what I have tried:
1) reboot the system and wipe the cache partition several times;
2) turn off WiFi, turn off NFC, turn off Bluetooth, turn on airplane mode and power saving mode;
3) turn off Android Device Manager, turn off location service, disable Google Location History;
4) disable Google Play Services, reboot, enable the services and updated to the latest version, update all the apps in Google Play;
5) Finally, factory reset the system;
Unfortunately, none of above solved my problem.

Here I attach some screen shots so that you know what I am talking about. I had a whole day meeting and barely used the phone. You can see 88% of the battery is consumed by apps and over 70% is used by Android System/OS. Look at the CPU Usage, you see Android System is running for over 8 hours. It seems something is keeping the Android System awake for the whole time but I just don't know which one. I tried to disable all the apps belong to Android System but failed. Always some apps that you are not allowed to be disables.

Do you have any ideas that I can still try?

Screenshot_2015-11-09-22-56-32.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-09-22-55-54.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-09-22-56-03.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-09-22-56-16.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android System battery drain in Note 5 when stand by (Not fixed so far)

If is most likely your phone signal causing it, it is also non-existent.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Why do you think it is caused by phone sianal? I tried airplane mode but that didn't work.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Well because you have a very low signal and a low signal will drain your battery. Your phone radio was on for 15 hours.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Yes. But I tried airplane mode and the battery consumption is the same. You can see the list about what I have tried.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Also, the signal is bad only in my apartment while during the day the signal is pretty good.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Going by this.. Your phone radio was on the entire time though.

Attachments

• 1447192407559.jpg
    1447192407559.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 98

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

With Android System and Android OS it is hard to diagnose that. Those are just "buckets" that a lot is dumped into.

It would be interesting to see these graphs when you have a good signal. A bad signal will drain your phone similar to this. To have airplane mode on and then turn back on WiFi when at home, that will give a better idea where your signal is bad.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I will do that and show you the graphs. Every night I will turn on airplane mode but the battery still drains quickly.

foxisbubba#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

My usage is almost identical (same top 3) and I have a great signal at work and home..??

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

That is exactly my problem. Is it anyway to know which one within "Android System/OS" is using the battery?

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I apologize for the graphs. They are kind of misleading. I think my exact problem is: turn off WiFi, turn on airplane mode, even turn on power saving mode, the battery drops over 23% within 7 hours. The same situation, my previous phone, LG G pro2, drops less than 5%.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried to run it in safe mode to see if it drops that much?

It is almost impossible these days to figure out when it is in Android System or Android OS without root.

Now you can install Wake Lock Detector from the Play Store and it has instructions to install things on your computer and hook your phone up to the computer and you can tell more that way, without root.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Here are the new graphs which show my real problem. Airplane mode, no WiFi, battery drops by 29% in less than 8 hours.

Screenshot_2015-11-11-07-01-32.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-11-07-02-31.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-11-07-02-40.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-11-07-09-39.jpg

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I installed PC version of Wake Lock Detector and here are the graphs. What are 'sec-battery-monitor', 'battery', 'NETLINK', 'eventpoll'? Why do they wake up thousands of times?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I'm going to get someone to come look that knows a bit more about WLD stats.

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. I double checked. The problem seems to be related to these: sec-battery-monitor, PowerManagerService.WakeLocks, NETLINK, eventpoll.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If you get this drain in Airplane Mode even after a factory reset.... I would reflash the factory image (there are plenty of instructions out there, and you can even go to Best Buy's Samsung mini store to have it done).

If THAT doesn't work, then it is most likely a hardware problem that won't fix itself and you will need a replacement.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok, chatting with some people about this.

You have done a factory reset and still get this when in airplane, that isn't a good sign. Now remember, with your signal, if everything is perfect, when not in airplane mode, you could see this.

Your phone is new, I would want an exchange for a new phone. What country are you located in? Various countries have different time frames and rules about exchanges.

If there is a Samsung center near you, you could take it to them. It could be a simple hardware, software or battery fix that they can do. If they aren't close, then you can work with sending the phone to Samsung or a warranty exchange through them if there are issues with exchanging it through the person you bought it from.