Is my Note 5 a fake?

superasian

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
So I purchased a Note 5 on eBay, because my original Note 5 suffered water damage a week. I spent about $510 on a "refurbished" Note 5, and the eBay seller has good reviews and has been a seller for a few years.

eBay seller is: omelectronics14

Luckily, I still have my original note 5 to compare my new one to, and they're very similar but have some differences.
**Excuse the picture quality; I am currently using a cheap Walmart phone.**

In all the phones, my original phone is pictured on the left or is the first picture, and the new phone is pictured on the right. My original phone also has the AT&T logo on the back, and a chipped screen, while the new phone has the Samsung logo.

My new Note 5 was made in Korea while my original from AT&T is from Taiwan.

View attachment 231566

My new Note 5's IMEI on the case is different from the IMEI on the phone. Both IMEI's are authentic when I look them up online. I connected it to Kies, and Kies told me it was only compatible with Smart Switch; Smart Switch does detect my phone.

View attachment 231572View attachment 231573

The look of the camera on the new Note 5 is different from the camera on my original Note 5. The camera and screen on the new phone seems to be of decent quality, but I can't compare it to my original since it doesn't work anymore. You can't see the camera differences in the pictures, but I can see little lines/texture in the lens of the camera on the new Note, but I can't see that in the original.

View attachment 231565View attachment 231567View attachment 231568

The S Pen is also different between the two phones; however, the S Pen is functional on the new phone.
The left side is the original, and the right is the eBay phone.

View attachment 231575View attachment 231576

The heart rate app works well in the new phone, as well as taking pictures while recording a video.

Finally, the home button on the new phone is level with the rest of the phone, while the home button on my original phone is raised from the phone surface - it sticks out on the original.
The one with the cracked screen is the original Note 5 (left), the other is the eBay phone.

View attachment 231569View attachment 231571View attachment 231574

Basically, my finding is inconclusive. :confused::-:':)(

I'm not sure if these differences are because they are manufactured from countries.

Attachments

• KIMG0031.jpg
    KIMG0031.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 103
  • KIMG0033.jpg
    KIMG0033.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 106
  • KIMG0034.jpg
    KIMG0034.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 104
  • KIMG0035.jpg
    KIMG0035.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 102
  • KIMG0039.jpg
    KIMG0039.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 104
  • KIMG0052.jpg
    KIMG0052.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 104
  • KIMG0057.jpg
    KIMG0057.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 102
  • KIMG0066.jpg
    KIMG0066.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 105
  • KIMG0078.jpg
    KIMG0078.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 98
  • KIMG0079.jpg
    KIMG0079.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a fake, but to be safe, check the available memory (RAM) and storage to make sure they match the Note 5 specs (most knock-offs will skimp on RAM).

Samsung did improve the design a bit, especially after S-Pengate, so that's probably why the S-Pen looks different to you. The Home button flushness might be because the AT&T version is a whole different phone than a non-carrier-branded one. They might have the same stuff inside, but it's a different model and made with different instructions and probably factory lines.

The only thing that I would worry about is the IMEI, but if it's a refurb that might explain it if they're using a different motherboard...maybe? If it's a knock-off it would feel VERY different from the real deal, especially because you've actually used one in the past.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Playstore and see if there is still an app called Genuine Galaxy-Phone Info. I used that when I bought a Galaxy off Swappa and wanted to make sure it wasn't fake.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's a fake, but to be safe, check the available memory (RAM) and storage to make sure they match the Note 5 specs (most knock-offs will skimp on RAM).

Samsung did improve the design a bit, especially after S-Pengate, so that's probably why the S-Pen looks different to you. The Home button flushness might be because the AT&T version is a whole different phone than a non-carrier-branded one. They might have the same stuff inside, but it's a different model and made with different instructions and probably factory lines.

The only thing that I would worry about is the IMEI, but if it's a refurb that might explain it if they're using a different motherboard...maybe? If it's a knock-off it would feel VERY different from the real deal, especially because you've actually used one in the past.

Well, the IMEI is specific to the individual phone, and should be unique. I would be more worried it it matched anything else.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Around the camera on my t-mobile Note 5, I do have some very faint lines, almost like a record. I don't see anything obvious in your new one, that makes it stand out. Your more flush home button, is actually closer to how my home button is, that is sticking up just a little, but not too much like your original one looks like.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Around the camera on my t-mobile Note 5, I do have some very faint lines, almost like a record. I don't see anything obvious in your new one, that makes it stand out. Your more flush home button, is actually closer to how my home button is, that is sticking up just a little, but not too much like your original one looks like.

Again, they did improve the home button and the S-Pen since the whole 'I can put it in backwards and break things' debacle, so '2nd run' Note 5's won't match the first few batches.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, the IMEI is specific to the individual phone, and should be unique. I would be more worried it it matched anything else.

That's what I mean... the IMEI is specific to each motherboard. If it was a new unit, it matches the number etched on the back, but if they are re-furbishing it and they changed the motherboard but not the casing, then the IMEI wouldn't match because they don't re-etch the back. Again, not sure if this is how they do it, but that could explain if the actual IMEI differs from the printed one (the one on the box, however, should have matched).

meizuhunzai

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
the simplest way to check a device is to install CPU-Z app which tells you the complete hardware details. a chinese or korean ripoff would come with a mtk-series of a board while the architecture and processor of a samsung comes with exynos chip.

JannyMaha

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
...but I can see little lines/texture in the lens of the camera on the new Note, but I can't see that in the original.

I can see lines/texture in the lens of the camera on my Samsung Note 5.

...the home button on the new phone is level with the rest of the phone, while the home button on my original phone is raised from the phone surface.

The home button on my Note 5 comes out just a tiny bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress