Question How to check if Redmi's firmware is original?

a76644501

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
I just got a Redmi Note 12 Pro+ from a friend. So everything works well and the phone seems to be original, all properties match those on official site. But the only thing I fear of is the firmware. I'm afraid that a custom firmware could be flashed and it can contain spyware. How do I check it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome.

If you’ve checked in Settings, About Phone, but are still not convinced , you can if you wish check whether your bootloader is unlocked, which is not necessarily a simple procedure, but which you may consider worth doing.

a76644501

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Welcome.

If you’ve checked in Settings, About Phone, but are still not convinced , you can if you wish check whether your bootloader is unlocked, which is not necessarily a simple procedure, but which you may consider worth doing.
Yes, I believe that the screen information is possible to be faked, so I prefer checking the bootloader. I installed the Android SDK Platform Tools for Linux and ran:
Bash:
sudo ./fastboot getvar all
I got the info, including "unlocked" that says "no". I also tried it on my main phone (Redmi Note 10 Pro) and it also says "no". BUT on Redmi Note 10 the field "warranty" says "yes", and on the new Redmi Note 12 it says "no"! Can it mean that the bootloader might be first unlocked and then locked again? I don't really understand the internet results - some say that unlocking the bootloader affects the warranty and some say that doesn't...

Last edited:
Reactions: belodion

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It varies from one manufacturer to another. In your case, whether locked, unlocked, or unlocked/relocked, the warranty would only be voided if a custom ROM is installed at the time of a warranty claim.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter