Bothered that the Note 7 is the S7 Edge with larger screen, S Pen, & smaller battery?

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My g5 is already broken. No more LG for me.

Apple customers have the right to complain though as apple likes to be known as the company that always innovates. Well that ship sailed almost 4 years ago. Samsung is still ahaead of apple so they just need to focus on getting those mad apple consumers, and that might in return hurt their currrent base but it won't be enough to make them switch to apple or others as long as they are on top.

Steve Jobs took Apple innovation to his grave.

Posted via the Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see the Note 8 being a big upgrade next year. This year they have Iris scanner (gimmick don't care) water resistant, bigger screen, curved edge, and micro SD slot. Other than slightly faster process and maybe slightly better screen resolution there isn't very much that will be upgraded most likely unless they bring IR blaster back which they won't. It won't be the big boost it is getting this year. It will be like an Iphone 6 to 6s so I think you're safe skipping a year.

the Note 8 aka the note 7 lol

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bothered that the Note 7 is the S7 Edge with larger screen, S Pen, & smaller battery?

What do you mean by nothing new in it?

Nowhere did I say nothing new. I was answering the previous post that said it's customary that the NOTE has the same chip as the previous S. That's simply not true.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Because the Note line was supposed to feature the best and newest specs. The S7Edge has the sd 820 now the sd 823 is available so it needless to say it should power the N 7.
And yes I'm bothered by that the S7E should be the best S Line phone but not on par with the Note

What tangible benefits would you expect to see in average day-to-day use with the 823 over the 821? Probably none, right? My Note 5 has a lesser processor and it runs great, very smooth.

Years ago, the improved specs mattered so much more because the hardware wasn't anywhere near as fast and refined as it has been in the last year or 2. Nowadays all the chips in the flagship phones are great for the most part. They all hum along.

If you are looking for bragging rights only , I suppose it's worth complaining about. Otherwise, I doubt you would even notice any performance difference in normal use of the phone.

It 100% doesn't bother me at all what the S7E has, as long as the Note runs great. And if you're buying the Note, and the Note runs great, what is there to worry about? :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Because the Note line was supposed to feature the best and newest specs. The S7Edge has the sd 820 now the sd 823 is available so it needless to say it should power the N 7.
And yes I'm bothered by that the S7E should be the best S Line phone but not on par with the Note
It's the SD821. Not the SD823.

As far as I know, the SD823 doesn't exist yet. The SD821 was announced not long ago and only one phone has it, though it was a last minute change as it had an 820 earlier.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What tangible benefits would you expect to see in average day-to-day use with the 823 over the 821? Probably none, right? My Note 5 has a lesser processor and it runs great, very smooth.

Years ago, the improved specs mattered so much more because the hardware wasn't anywhere near as fast and refined as it has been in the last year or 2. Nowadays all the chips in the flagship phones are great for the most part. They all hum along.

If you are looking for bragging rights only , I suppose it's worth complaining about. Otherwise, I doubt you would even notice any performance difference in normal use of the phone.

It 100% doesn't bother me at all what the S7E has, as long as the Note runs great. And if you're buying the Note, and the Note runs great, what is there to worry about? :)
You're right. Power efficiency is far more important. That's why I think a 4k screen on a 5.8 inch screen would be ridiculous. I know the note 7 is not 4k. That is one prediction I'm glad is wrong.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Need smaller micron fabrication to reduce heat, but they keep making them faster, which offsets the heat benefit. Seeing a practical 4K phone that is not a power sucking demon with hot running GPU will be interesting. Seems the only apparent value for a phone though is VR use. Need the tighter pixels with AMOLED to offset the heavier screen door effect due to pentile arrays.

The problem with 4K is not video or general reading or web use, but when any app leverages the GPU. That is when things get real with 4K. Even computers with their much better heat dissipation struggle with GPU use. It gets hot and battery life of course would choke.

VR use with 4K on a phone size device will likely be problematic for a few years. VR abuses the heck out of a GPU. It has to render everything twice at virtually the same time.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

I agree with this but can they just release them at the same time then? Why make Note users wait for the same technology? I'm sure it doesn't take 6 months to implement the pen.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Because many of us are deciding between buying an S7 Edge, and a Note 7. Hence the comparison. I am not trying to choose between a new Note and an old Note.

Posted via Android Central App

No, many of us are not actually. I know I'm not especially. Why would I want a S7E and not get a USB-C, S-Pen, iris scanner and other little goodies that come with a Note 7?

With the intro of the of USB-C alone, the S7E has already, in a sense, become antiqued. This is the future, and I always like to have my devices as future proofed as possible. I'm ready for the USB-C leap myself.

Quite frankly I don't feel the Note and S7E fan bases are necessarily the same. I never desired one. They know they are truly targeting past Note users, and it's working.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this but can they just release them at the same time then? Why make Note users wait for the same technology? I'm sure it doesn't take 6 months to implement the pen.

Because it would be sales suicide to release a Note device 6 months after releasing your last Note device?

Gearu

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm worried that with the skipping of the '6' straight to '7', Samsung may be trying to convert the Note into just a variant of the S, an idea which disgusts me.
The Note is it's own brand and identity and is supposed to be packing the latest and greatest, on a separate plane to the S series, not old chips and camera etc, so I don't want to see any recycled old S7 tech in my new Note. If Samsung think they can con me this way, then I will either consider replacing my Note 3 with a Note 4 and update it to Marshmallow, or I'll wait for next year's Note. I can honestly wait forever.

tl;dr I won't buy a new release phone if it's not the best it can be.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Lmao....so now the S7 has "old" tech?

Welcome to the world of advancing tech, where everything new makes even stuff released not long earlier look old by comparison, even if the difference in real-world performance is almost imperceptibly tiny.

It happens. Some people just want the absolute latest and greatest. While that is not a big deal for me, some do want that, whether that's to brag or for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm already done with the specs game since 2014, as phones around the end of that period have gotten so good, any increase in processor performance isn't really as significant.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
No, many of us are not actually. I know I'm not especially. Why would I want a S7E and not get a USB-C, S-Pen, iris scanner and other little goodies that come with a Note 7?

Many of us are, actually. I'm not sure I will use the pen, and the S7 Edge, with its slightly smaller screen and slightly larger battery, is likely to last a little longer on a charge. I don't expect to EVER use the iris scanner. The S7 Edge is also cheaper. Just weighing the differences, and deciding if the Note 7 goodies are worth the extra $ to me. I like the extra storage, and the USB C. I also like the design. I went to Verizon a little while ago, but they don't have a demo yet. They said probably tomorrow. I think I'm am still leaning towards the Note. Curious about the V20 though. If it shows up with a very big battery, I may consider it too.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

But even if it did aren't you one of those people who must have a replaceable battery so regardless you wouldn't get it anyway?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
But even if it did aren't you one of those people who must have a replaceable battery so regardless you wouldn't get it anyway?

Yep. I'm finding a bunch of people complaining who have no intention of buying this or any other Samsung phone.

This isn't like the SD card situation last year which was a legitimate mistake . What I'm seeing today is a lot of complaining by people who have been complaining about Samsung for years now. lol

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of advancing tech, where everything new makes even stuff released not long earlier look old by comparison, even if the difference in real-world performance is almost imperceptibly tiny.

It happens. Some people just want the absolute latest and greatest. While that is not a big deal for me, some do want that, whether that's to brag or for whatever reason.

Personally, I'm already done with the specs game since 2014, as phones around the end of that period have gotten so good, any increase in processor performance isn't really as significant.

This.