Screen Cast Without Wifi?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
On Saturday night I lost Comcast connection for several hours. This meant no internet connection nor cable network connection to tv. With my old Note 3 this was no problem because I had an hdmi connector so I could watch Netflix that way. I know there is no way to connect my Note 7 to tv with wired adapter.

This means I would have to cast lets say Netflix from Note 7 using LTE data to my tv. Trouble is Microsoft Display Adapter requires phone on the same wifi network. If I connect phone to wifi I lose LTE thus cannot cast Netflix. Is there any other device that will let me cast Netflix from my phone on LTE (thus phone not on wifi) to my TV? I was so frustrated I almost had my Note 3 turned back on!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't have chromecast yet. I don't wish to aimlessly purchase device after device to see what will work. I specifically wish to use my Note 7 to wirelessly cast Netflix to my tv through wireless hdmi adapter of some kind using lte not wifi.

I do not have hotspot option since I have unlimited data in Verizon so using phone as wifi hotspot is a no go.

TV HDMI connection is not powered so adapter will need its own power source.

Thanks for your suggestions!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have also been looking for a solution that doesn't rely on wifi (internet) and like you also realized our phone is (sadly) not capable of a plugged in solution (which would be ideal).

I found this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5375780 has a micro USB port for powering the device and on my t.v. I have a regular USB input port so I can plug the dongle into the television HDMI port and a micro USB to regular USB power cord into the television USB port. The package comes with a micro to regular USB cord AND the wall plug-in brick if you don't have a USB port on your television...in other words you should be able to use it straight out of the package so long has you have an open HDMI port.

I have not played with it extensively but used it at a friend's house who has NO wifi at all (no internet, no cable). I plugged the dongle into the HDMI port on the t.v. and the USB charging cable into the USB port on his t.v., went into the settings on my phone and turned on "SmartView" and bingo...they connected and my phone was mirrored on the television. I had a movie on my memory card in my device and streamed that to his television (use your player of choice since it's mirrored). The broadcast was as smooth and as HD as the original recording was, however I noticed the sound cut out at times...not quickly, but for several seconds at a time (so not just a word here and there , but it would go out entirely for many seconds). We didn't try to actually watch the movie...I was more or less playing around with it. I also fired up Netflix and was able to stream that to the television but again, I didn't spend a lot of time with this setup so I don't know if the sound would be an issue there or not. I'd like to think maybe my movie was just wonky but I've watched that movie before with no issues (NOT streaming). I'm not sure if LTE data is being used with this setup or not...they are supposed to have a wireless "direct" connection but I doubt they are doing it without data of some kind. My friend's house is not in the best reception area... -110 on average for signal.

I did read the dongle gets very hot...and I can confirm this. I don't know if it's too much for the t.v. to handle for a movie or two or three, but I would definitely not leave it plugged in indefinitely.

I hope this helps. Also, I'm sure the ScreenBeam Mini 2 isn't the only dongle out there that has a separate power port. Admittedly I don't know much about HDMI or whether it's even supposed to be capable of powering a device so maybe they ALL have some type of charging port. Or maybe this is the only one that does...not sure.

ETA: I just looked at the dongle the prior poster provided and it is powered the same way the one I linked to is. That is, with a micro to regular USB cord and with a wall brick you don't need to have a USB port on your actual television.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
On Saturday night I lost Comcast connection for several hours. This meant no internet connection nor cable network connection to tv. With my old Note 3 this was no problem because I had an hdmi connector so I could watch Netflix that way. I know there is no way to connect my Note 7 to tv with wired adapter.

This means I would have to cast lets say Netflix from Note 7 using LTE data to my tv. Trouble is Microsoft Display Adapter requires phone on the same wifi network. If I connect phone to wifi I lose LTE thus cannot cast Netflix. Is there any other device that will let me cast Netflix from my phone on LTE (thus phone not on wifi) to my TV? I was so frustrated I almost had my Note 3 turned back on!
I use the Samsung dongle. Works flawlessly. I leave mine plugged in all the time. No wifi needed at all.

Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub, Wireless HDMI Display Adapter (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HDEGG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5375902

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I use the Samsung dongle. Works flawlessly. I leave mine plugged in all the time. No wifi needed at all.

Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub, Wireless HDMI Display Adapter (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HDEGG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5375956

Just to make sure I understand, you linked to a hub, not a dongle. But I assume you use an HDMI cable to connect the hub to the television, and then the power cord can be to the wall or USB port on the t.v., and then your phone makes the wireless connection with the hub? Not trying to be snarky just wanted to make sure you really do mean to use a hub and not a dongle. It looks to be a very small hub, but in the case of the dongle, depending on how your HDMI port is on the back or side of the t.v., you might not see the dongles at all, whereas the hub would definitely have a cord connection.

I'm going to have to spend some more time playing with mine...maybe I have a wonky cord (one can hope that's all it is).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have also been looking for a solution that doesn't rely on wifi (internet) and like you also realized our phone is (sadly) not capable of a plugged in solution (which would be ideal).

I found this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5375978 has a micro USB port for powering the device and on my t.v. I have a regular USB input port so I can plug the dongle into the television HDMI port and a micro USB to regular USB power cord into the television USB port. The package comes with a micro to regular USB cord AND the wall plug-in brick if you don't have a USB port on your television...in other words you should be able to use it straight out of the package so long has you have an open HDMI port.

I have not played with it extensively but used it at a friend's house who has NO wifi at all (no internet, no cable). I plugged the dongle into the HDMI port on the t.v. and the USB charging cable into the USB port on his t.v., went into the settings on my phone and turned on "SmartView" and bingo...they connected and my phone was mirrored on the television. I had a movie on my memory card in my device and streamed that to his television (use your player of choice since it's mirrored). The broadcast was as smooth and as HD as the original recording was, however I noticed the sound cut out at times...not quickly, but for several seconds at a time (so not just a word here and there , but it would go out entirely for many seconds). We didn't try to actually watch the movie...I was more or less playing around with it. I also fired up Netflix and was able to stream that to the television but again, I didn't spend a lot of time with this setup so I don't know if the sound would be an issue there or not. I'd like to think maybe my movie was just wonky but I've watched that movie before with no issues (NOT streaming). I'm not sure if LTE data is being used with this setup or not...they are supposed to have a wireless "direct" connection but I doubt they are doing it without data of some kind. My friend's house is not in the best reception area... -110 on average for signal.

I did read the dongle gets very hot...and I can confirm this. I don't know if it's too much for the t.v. to handle for a movie or two or three, but I would definitely not leave it plugged in indefinitely.

I hope this helps. Also, I'm sure the ScreenBeam Mini 2 isn't the only dongle out there that has a separate power port. Admittedly I don't know much about HDMI or whether it's even supposed to be capable of powering a device so maybe they ALL have some type of charging port. Or maybe this is the only one that does...not sure.

ETA: I just looked at the dongle the prior poster provided and it is powered the same way the one I linked to is. That is, with a micro to regular USB cord and with a wall brick you don't need to have a USB port on your actual television.
I guess it can't be helped with this tech but I noted one review saying his tv was destroyed by the heat from the dongle. Burned out the entire HDMI input system not just one plug.

In theory if it actually works then the Hub would be better because the heat would be isolated from the television and just an HDMI cable would bring a regular TV signal into the TV making it safer

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I guess it can't be helped with this tech but I noted one review saying his tv was destroyed by the heat from the dongle. Burned out the entire HDMI input system not just one plug.

In theory if it actually works then the Hub would be better because the heat would be isolated from the television and just an HDMI cable would bring a regular TV signal into the TV making it safer

Totally agree with you. And if that hub works the same way the dongles do, then that would be your answer. I was concerned about the whole "internet" connection because at home I have wifi but at my friend's house I do not. So when the dongle I linked to worked there I knew I was good. Based on what msndrstood posted it sounds like it works the same, but I'm curious if she has an internet connection that could be coming into play.

msndrstood...can you confirm/elaborate that you know for a fact your set up is the phone and hub talking directly with no internet connection go-between other than possibly your phone's LTE?

ETA: I'm reading an Amazon review now that specifically states no wifi needed and that you can use your phone's internet connection to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. You mentioned you are with Comcast...just a heads up that if you use their app on your phone to watch content it will NOT work. Comcast has something in place that it recognizes when you are mirroring and it flat out won't do it. I tested that and it was the only "fail" I had during the brief time I played with mirroring. You can watch on your phone no problem...but forget mirroring. Jerks. I even tried going to their website in desktop mode and it detected what I was trying to do and wouldn't work.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I found I could actually do it using the Microsoft wireless display adapter and it doesn't require any WiFi in fact I turn the Wi-Fi off on my device however the problem and I suspect the problem will be the same with MHL is it the frame rate isn't very good so consequently watching a show on Netflix is painful

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
The two devices that I know of are the Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub and the Amazon Fire Stick. With the Amazon Fire Stick when you first pair the stick to the phone you do need an internet connection but after that you are good to go, I tested this my self and it does work (unplugged my modem). The bonus of the FireStick is that you also have access to the app store and if you pack it with you, you can turn any TV into a Smart TV.

Also not sure who your carrier is but if it's T-Mobile, Netflix and all of the other service providers on this page Binge On Streaming Video List do not count against your data when using them (regular data or mobile hotspot) as long as you have Binge On on your plan.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The two devices that I know of are the Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub and the Amazon Fire Stick. With the Amazon Fire Stick when you first pair the stick to the phone you do need an internet connection but after that you are good to go, I tested this my self and it does work (unplugged my modem). The bonus of the FireStick is that you also have access to the app store and if you pack it with you, you can turn any TV into a Smart TV.
Yes but to use the Amazon stick apps it would need wifi data. I just want to cast phone screen to dongle or hub using lte data and connecting through smart view

Now with the All share cast hub I don't know if the hub itself requires wifi connection to data other than my phone.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you stream Netflix from LTE on your phone (no wifi) and screen share it to tv in full HD for a couple of hours straight?
Yes, I binge watch Downton Abbey, a lot of science shows etc. I stream for hours while my phone is plugged in to a battery pack. The AllCast is plugged into the USB port on my TV for power and to the HDMI port for content. I'm on Sprint unlimited so I can devour data without worry.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I binge watch Downton Abbey, a lot of science shows etc. I stream for hours while my phone is plugged in to a battery pack. The AllCast is plugged into the USB port on my TV for power and to the HDMI port for content. I'm on Sprint unlimited so I can devour data without worry.
So it is called a hub but is actually a dongle in appearance?

You get a nice clear hdmi picturr and the hub requires no wifi connection? Do you use smart view setting of phone to connect to it?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Just to make sure I understand, you linked to a hub, not a dongle. But I assume you use an HDMI cable to connect the hub to the television, and then the power cord can be to the wall or USB port on the t.v., and then your phone makes the wireless connection with the hub? Not trying to be snarky just wanted to make sure you really do mean to use a hub and not a dongle. It looks to be a very small hub, but in the case of the dongle, depending on how your HDMI port is on the back or side of the t.v., you might not see the dongles at all, whereas the hub would definitely have a cord connection.

I'm going to have to spend some more time playing with mine...maybe I have a wonky cord (one can hope that's all it is).
Yes, some call it a hub some call it a dongle. It comes with a USB cord to plug into the TV for power or into a charging block. It comes with a HDMI cable to plug into the TV for content. Switch your phone to Smart View, turn your TV on to whatever HDMI port your dongle/hub is plugged into and press the setup button on the dongle/hub while it pairs and voila! Screen mirroring. The next time you use it you only have to switch the tv on to the appropriate input and turn on screen mirroring on your phone and it will connect in about 5-10 seconds. Rarely, it might take a second try. I've only had to do that twice in a year.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes but to use the Amazon stick apps it would need wifi data. I just want to cast phone screen to dongle or hub using lte data and connecting through smart view

Now with the All share cast hub I don't know if the hub itself requires wifi connection to data other than my phone.

I think the Roku stick would work like the Amazon Fire Stick. Here's the thing...if you want access to Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu...all internet based streaming services, then perhaps a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick would be a better fit. I think you would have to set it up initially using a regular wifi connection (download all your streaming apps, etc.), but then turn that wireless connection off and reconnect it using your phone's hotspot. From there you would use the stick itself with a remote to navigate. The applications and your sign in should be intact...you are just using the wifi (i.e. hotspot) on your phone instead of your Comcast account. This would also free your phone up to surf the net or do other things while the hotspot is in use (though things might slow down).

In MY case I wanted a way to stream content that is physically ON my device...in my case movies I've downloaded to SD card. So I HAVE to mirror to stream that content. But if all I wanted to do was access my Netflix (or Hulu or Amazon Prime, etc.) then a Roku Stick would do the trick. With screen mirroring I can not only stream my personal content, I can also open my Netflix app on my phone and stream that. But using screen mirroring I can't use my phone for anything else...it would show exactly what is on my screen at all times.

Hopefully that made sense.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the Roku stick would work like the Amazon Fire Stick. Here's the thing...if you want access to Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu...all internet based streaming services, then perhaps a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick would be a better fit. I think you would have to set it up initially using a regular wifi connection (download all your streaming apps, etc.), but then turn that wireless connection off and reconnect it using your phone's hotspot. From there you would use the stick itself with a remote to navigate. The applications and your sign in should be intact...you are just using the wifi on your phone instead of your Comcast account. This would also free your phone up to surf the net or do other things while the hotspot is in use (though things might slow down).

In MY case I wanted a way to stream content that is physically ON my device...in my case movies I've downloaded to SD card. So I HAVE to mirror to stream that content. But if all I wanted to do was access my Netflix then a Roku Stick would do the trick.

Hopefully that made sense.
Ah, I don't have hotspot. I have grandfathered unlimited data so hotspot disabled.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I used NO WIFI AT ALL. Not during set up, ever. I'm on metered wifi so I don't use it to stream ever. It is physically off. When I stream Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime, HBO Go I use their apps. Never have an issue. The hub never gets hot, my Note 5 would heat up while charging and mirroring if the signal was weak otherwise, no problem. My Note 7 works flawlessly with it, so does my husband's Note 4 as did the Note 3 before it.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

If you wanted to use the apps on the FireStick yes but just load the apps on your phone and stream them to the FireStick. You only need an internet connection the first time you pair the Firestick and phone, once they are paired you no longer need the firestick to be connected to wifi. I merely mentioned the app store on the firestick for say you have a tv in the garage that you want to watch something while you are working in there or when you travel.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, some call it a hub some call it a dongle. It comes with a USB cord to plug into the TV for power or into a charging block. It comes with a HDMI cable to plug into the TV for content. Switch your phone to Smart View, turn your TV on to whatever HDMI port your dongle/hub is plugged into and press the setup button on the dongle/hub while it pairs and voila! Screen mirroring. The next time you use it you only have to switch the tv on to the appropriate input and turn on screen mirroring on your phone and it will connect in about 5-10 seconds. Rarely, it might take a second try. I've only had to do that twice in a year.

Awesome...thanks for the reply. Have you had any issues with sound cutting out?