Sudden battery drain below 40%

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had this problem?

I've only had my Note 8 LTE (Telus Canadian model) for about 2 weeks and haven't fully drained it many times yet... However I noticed last night, that once below about 40% charge, the battery suddenly drains much faster.

Wasn't paying attention while I was browsing, but the level dropped from around 35% to less than 10% within about a 20-30 minute period, and then to 7%, 4%, 1% and dead, within about the final 5 minutes.

Is this "normal" battery operation for the Note, or do I possibly need to cycle the battery a few more times? Hoping it's not a defective unit...

Note: I keep my brightness very low and have Bluetooth and Mobile Data off unless necessary. I do have SmartStay on though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had this problem?

I've only had my Note 8 LTE (Telus Canadian model) for about 2 weeks and haven't fully drained it many times yet... However I noticed last night, that once below about 40% charge, the battery suddenly drains much faster.

Wasn't paying attention while I was browsing, but the level dropped from around 35% to less than 10% within about a 20-30 minute period, and then to 7%, 4%, 1% and dead, within about the final 5 minutes.

Is this "normal" battery operation for the Note, or do I possibly need to cycle the battery a few more times? Hoping it's not a defective unit...

Note: I keep my brightness very low and have Bluetooth and Mobile Data off unless necessary. I do have SmartStay on though.

When did you notice this happening? Because this does not sound normal. I would contact Samsung.

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
When did you notice this happening? Because this does not sound normal. I would contact Samsung.

I was browsing websites last night when it happened. I know I was sitting around 40% just prior to the event, and was on about my 3rd day since last recharge. Thing is, I've been topping up the battery as opposed to fully draining and recharging (cycling) it as I normally would with new devices... so I'm wondering if maybe the battery just isn't "calibrated" or conditioned properly yet.

I do feel as though it was draining much faster from 100% the first few days vs how it discharges now, despite my typical usage remaining about the same. So I hope that means it's just not conditioned fully yet and will sort itself once I do a few more charge/discharge cycles.

Perhaps worth noting, I've now also turned off SmartStay and GPS since I don't really need them on all the time. Seems to me that this may have further increased battery life... I imagine Smart Stay kills it rather quickly since it requires use of the front camera all the time?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was browsing websites last night when it happened. I know I was sitting around 40% just prior to the event, and was on about my 3rd day since last recharge. Thing is, I've been topping up the battery as opposed to fully draining and recharging (cycling) it as I normally would with new devices... so I'm wondering if maybe the battery just isn't "calibrated" or conditioned properly yet.

I do feel as though it was draining much faster from 100% the first few days vs how it discharges now, despite my typical usage remaining about the same. So I hope that means it's just not conditioned fully yet and will sort itself once I do a few more charge/discharge cycles.

Perhaps worth noting, I've now also turned off SmartStay and GPS since I don't really need them on all the time. Seems to me that this may have further increased battery life... I imagine Smart Stay kills it rather quickly since it requires use of the front camera all the time?

OK. I would guess GPS off might lead to better battery life. I would try to get in the habit of charging more consistently, say at 30% left.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
To follow up on this, I've done a few more complete discharge/recharge cycles, and the behaviour is... random.

One time the battery appeared to drain normally, but once it reached 1%, I was still able to use the Note (browsing, email and even YouTube videos) for almost a full hour before it finally powered down. So I'm sure at that time, the battery still had a good 10% or more remaining, not just 1%... found that quite odd.

A few times since then, the tablet has drained normally and shut down when I'd expect it to. A few other times, it's drained down to around 25% and then suddenly dropped to 17%, 8%, 5% and 1% over the final 15-20 minutes.

I'm still trying to keep track of any conditions that may be causing this, but I have very regular usage/charging patterns and haven't been using any new apps etc -- I am starting to suspect the Note doesn't have the most reliable battery, and/or indicator... Is there a good lightweight app that can show the actual mAh capacity remaining, as opposed to battery percentage??