Navigation without Wifi?

streetslide

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
What is the best way to navigate on a Wifi only Note 8 without WiFi? I know you can download a map from Google offline & when/if you find a wifi connection it will tell you where you are. That is the basically like having a paper map. I found some Apps that look like they use the GPS to turn by turn? Does anyone have real world experience using them, especially in the US vs. France? I thought I read somewhere you could connect to you cell phone via Bluetooth vs. tether and do it that way.

What I am trying to do is navigate using the WiFi only Note 8 (big screen) vs. cell phone (little screen).

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Living in Europe there is roaming all around, therefore one needs offline navigation.
I use the paid offline navigation app Navigon by Garmin and I've experience also in France ... but not in US :)

You might also look for CoPilot and Sygic, a free app is NavFree ...

rtronick

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
As dadathepanda said. There is no need to navigate using wi-fi. The Note 8 has a GPS chip. Just turn it on and you're ready to go. If you want turn by turn directions, look in the Play Store for navigation software.

streetslide

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I know what I did now. I must have just brought up Google Maps and did not navigate to any address. I was thinking it should follow my route like a normal GPS (Garmin). This time, I made sure GPS was on & navigated to an address, all worked as expected. Then for fun I tried without an address again & that basically sucks because the screen turns off & you will drive off the screen without the screen re-adjusting.

Bottom line is - just having a map up is a waste, GPS turn by turn navigation by destination works fine. So no biggie, I will just use a general destination and off to see the wizard.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Only make sure that Maps calculates the turn-by-turn route on the downloaded (cached) area while you're on WiFi.
Because Maps will indeed turn-by-turn navigate without WiFi, but it won't calculate or recalculate a route without WiFi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non