Note 8: What are your dream specs?

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of battery size I want the phone to last for 18 hours of heavy use between charges in order to get me through the longest days. While we're talking fantasy I also want it to have 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB of on board storage + SD slot, and the best damn camera in the market.

monty Stinson

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Note 7 looked very nice, I missed out, looking for most of the specs mention earlier, but my wish list is: big battery, IR blaster, curved screen is ok but prefer flat screen

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If they can't make one with a Flat Screen
Don't make any at all.

Awww, c'mon... the Note 7 was fine! Other than the battery fiasco, that phone was awesome... I'd even settle for a remake of that with a cosmetic facelift (to obviously make it look different so Authorities would accept it) and the problem solved!!!

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am hoping they will have the technology ready to embed the fingerprint sensor into the display. I really do not want it to be where they have it placed on the S8. I will still buy it but...

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate the glass; I wish they'd lose that (and bring back removable batteries), but not holding my breath. Really, if I could have a Note 4 with a bit of a RAM/ CPU boost, add Samsung Pay and the Iris scan, I'd probably be pretty happy. I'd rather lose the edges as well - not that I want a huge bezel, but I've never really seen a good use of the edge, it makes it more awkward to hold, and it really messes up most case protection. If they can make it with those edges, surely they could make it flat without needing large frames on the side.

128GB minimum or 64GB + SD. Pref 128 + SD. Bonus points for even more (my phone is CONSTANTLY full).
Whatever battery it takes to have the life a new Note 4 did (before updates and age lessened that) - an all day phone, with plenty of use.
Replaceable battery. I don't mind if it isn't convenient for mid day replacement, but I don't want the phone to just get continually worse with no way to recover battery life if I keep it for 2 years. I have liked the ability to yank the battery from a phone when it is frozen and will not shut down (and soft resets fail), but I've only needed that a few times... it could probably wait for home.
No glass back. Don't need to see family members continually finding new ways to crack parts of the phone that have no real reason for being glass, added to the complete inability to keep it looking remotely clean for more than the 2 seconds it takes to end up with hand prints all over the back.
As durable as possible with removable battery. Care more about drop/impact resistance and the screen than dust/liquid, but some liquid resistance is nice. Don't need it to be able to go underwater or anything - wouldn't trust that anyways.
Optional edge. I know; they like it being different... still don't see the point, other than making all the cases lousy.
Iris Scan
Hopefully good quality fingerprint scanner that is easily reached - up at the top may be too far on a Note.
Wish the antenna would allow voice/data simultaneously as they used to (<=Note3)
Less extra software, with hopefully faster android updates.
Not sure on numbers, but all for any improvement to the camera, especially in focus speed, clarity, resolution.
Wireless charging built in.
Good speakers are nice, but not important, I usually mute everything but calls and half the time those are going through some other speaker. Good quality mic that doesn't get too much background noise is a little more important.
More RAM. Whatever they put in, would probably like a little more.

If they were innovating software wise (not that I want bloatware, but occasionally they push something out that really integrates with the phone's hardware or unique features... my family loves their Samsung pay for having way too many cards at hand for every outdated little register that doesn't take Android Pay - they'll even ask cashiers to put it on the keyboard swipe strips), I'd like to see more happening in terms of integration with smart devices, wearables, and cars. I don't think they're really pushing in that direction though - have to hope for that from 3rd party apps. Maybe if their AI thing is really, really, really good about location aware activities and ease of use... but not expecting a ton there.
I'd also like it to be easier to partially unlock things, or temporarily turn off the screen lock - maybe even lock it to an app but leave the app running for a bit (for things you need to hand off to someone for any reason, or for something you want to run but need your hands off for a bit).
Improved dual tasking - in addition to two windows, perhaps a mode to keep both apps running as if they were foreground for fast swapping, or view a part of the app, etc.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I hate the glass; I wish they'd lose that (and bring back removable batteries), but not holding my breath. Really, if I could have a Note 4 with a bit of a RAM/ CPU boost, add Samsung Pay and the Iris scan, I'd probably be pretty happy. I'd rather lose the edges as well - not that I want a huge bezel, but I've never really seen a good use of the edge, it makes it more awkward to hold, and it really messes up most case protection. If they can make it with those edges, surely they could make it flat without needing large frames on the side.

128GB minimum or 64GB + SD. Pref 128 + SD. Bonus points for even more (my phone is CONSTANTLY full).
Whatever battery it takes to have the life a new Note 4 did (before updates and age lessened that) - an all day phone, with plenty of use.
Replaceable battery. I don't mind if it isn't convenient for mid day replacement, but I don't want the phone to just get continually worse with no way to recover battery life if I keep it for 2 years. I have liked the ability to yank the battery from a phone when it is frozen and will not shut down (and soft resets fail), but I've only needed that a few times... it could probably wait for home.
No glass back. Don't need to see family members continually finding new ways to crack parts of the phone that have no real reason for being glass, added to the complete inability to keep it looking remotely clean for more than the 2 seconds it takes to end up with hand prints all over the back.
As durable as possible with removable battery. Care more about drop/impact resistance and the screen than dust/liquid, but some liquid resistance is nice. Don't need it to be able to go underwater or anything - wouldn't trust that anyways.
Optional edge. I know; they like it being different... still don't see the point, other than making all the cases lousy.
Iris Scan
Hopefully good quality fingerprint scanner that is easily reached - up at the top may be too far on a Note.
Wish the antenna would allow voice/data simultaneously as they used to (<=Note3)
Less extra software, with hopefully faster android updates.
Not sure on numbers, but all for any improvement to the camera, especially in focus speed, clarity, resolution.
Wireless charging built in.
Good speakers are nice, but not important, I usually mute everything but calls and half the time those are going through some other speaker. Good quality mic that doesn't get too much background noise is a little more important.
More RAM. Whatever they put in, would probably like a little more.

If they were innovating software wise (not that I want bloatware, but occasionally they push something out that really integrates with the phone's hardware or unique features... my family loves their Samsung pay for having way too many cards at hand for every outdated little register that doesn't take Android Pay - they'll even ask cashiers to put it on the keyboard swipe strips), I'd like to see more happening in terms of integration with smart devices, wearables, and cars. I don't think they're really pushing in that direction though - have to hope for that from 3rd party apps. Maybe if their AI thing is really, really, really good about location aware activities and ease of use... but not expecting a ton there.
I'd also like it to be easier to partially unlock things, or temporarily turn off the screen lock - maybe even lock it to an app but leave the app running for a bit (for things you need to hand off to someone for any reason, or for something you want to run but need your hands off for a bit).
Improved dual tasking - in addition to two windows, perhaps a mode to keep both apps running as if they were foreground for fast swapping, or view a part of the app, etc.

you realize its not Christmas right

Michael Bozimo

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
A snapdragon 835 processor like that on the S8, 16MP camera on the rear and 12MP on the front, 6GB RAM, 6.2 inch curved screen, 128GB internal storage, 4000mah baterry.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Lots of things I would like but I'd settle for anything with a Note 7 aspect ratio. Hate the long skinny S8 series

16/9 aspect ratio

Last edited:

Rod Bergren

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Note 8 Simple. It should be the best thing Samsung has ever made.

#1 has to be #1 . It has to have a removable battery. This is a non starter considering what happened with the 7. If they don't have the removable battery it won't be trusted.

Other stuff
- SDXC card removable
- WATER Resistant to 2 meters. (yep hard to pull off with the removable battery, life is hard get over it.)
- Dual Sim Cards.
- Headphone Jack, Also front speakers
- Biggest and best processor.
- Most memory on Market on board. X2 yes times 2
- S Pen has to stay. It is called the note after all.
- Solar charging back plate/wireless as well. - Hey we are dreaming here after all
- fingerprint scanner, bluetooth, nfc, GPS etc... all the stuff that everything has.
- IR blaster would be fun to bring back. I liked it on the Note 4.
- Dual 22mp Cameras out back. 8mp front facing camera