Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, SMP-900 will not charge

Jaelim

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galxy Note Pro 12.2, SMP-900 that discharges even though the charging adapter is plugged in. Have tried several things to resolve the issue, including restarting the tablet, turning off all but essential apps, swapping charging cables and adapters with my Galaxy S5. Charges while device is turned off, but very slowly. Problem seems to have started after upgrade to android 5.0.2. Had no problems before that. Additionally, the charging indicator will disappear intermittently and return a few seconds later with a pronounced "beep". Is anyone else having this issue with this tablet? Any suggestions how to resolve the issue short of doing a full reset. Have a lot of data on the tablet that I don't want to lose. Thanx.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
That sounds more like a cable issue. I know you said that you changed the cable and swapped with the s5. These big batteries take a large amp charger to charge them. Are you using a USB 3 or 2 cable? I would try buying a new charge block 2.4 amps single charger and a new USB cable. This is usually the cheapest way to start trouble shooting the issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jaelim

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
The chargers for the S5 and the Note are identical, both 5.3V, 2A. Replaced the stock Samsung USB3 cable with a brand new one, I bought on Ebay. No soap, the issue still remained. Even checked the port for dirt or other obstructions. I'm at the end of my rope.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The chargers for the S5 and the Note are identical, both 5.3V, 2A. Replaced the stock Samsung USB3 cable with a brand new one, I bought on Ebay. No soap, the issue still remained. Even checked the port for dirt or other obstructions. I'm at the end of my rope.

I'd go with cache clearing in recovery and if that doesn't help, then factory reset before ultimately sending it in for service.

It sucks but if the first two don't fix it than its probably hardware related.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galxy Note Pro 12.2, SMP-900 that discharges even though the charging adapter is plugged in. Have tried several things to resolve the issue, including restarting the tablet, turning off all but essential apps, swapping charging cables and adapters with my Galaxy S5. Charges while device is turned off, but very slowly. Problem seems to have started after upgrade to android 5.0.2. Had no problems before that. Additionally, the charging indicator will disappear intermittently and return a few seconds later with a pronounced "beep". Is anyone else having this issue with this tablet? Any suggestions how to resolve the issue short of doing a full reset. Have a lot of data on the tablet that I don't want to lose. Thanx.

Full reset has nothing to do with defective hardware. Your problem most likely from USB charging port or cracked battery connector.
Use this one to help you to verify your tablet is charging, current should be 1.7 Amps
usb voltage current meter | eBay

Charging port flex cable is only around $13, you should have one to verify the problem. Cracked battery connector is very common in this tablet. Resolder only takes under 5 minutes to fix this issue.
Again, software has nothing to do with charging problem, regardless Lollipop or Kitkat. It happens coincidentally after the upgrade, Lollipop has nothing with not charging , otherwise, all users will be screaming at Samsung

Last edited:

gingercreasy

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
I am having an issue, just started after owning my tablet for almost a year. Started not charging, then I plugged it in over night power off and it sucked all the life out of it. Can't even turn it on. I had this problem before with another samsung tablet so I started with a new cable exactly for that tablet. It worked for a time then didn't anymore. I replaced the tablet charging port and that worked. I may have to do that with this one. Its not costly and its not a problem to change it.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Same here. We've had this tablet for quite a while (1-2yrs). Everything was fine charging until about 6 months ago. Very slow charging incapable of keeping up when in use. Bought new ac adaptors, cables. No real change. Then i began not being able to get the regular charging indicator but one with the red X on top. Left the tablet off overnight and it charged ~20% from zero using the Samsung charger and cable. Lastly I tried a outlet I had never used and had nothing else plugged into it. Black charging symbol is back and charging ahead of use. Too soon to tell if that is a real solution or temporary. but it would seem to eliminate the potential battery/soldering issue. So might it be power strips, heavily used outlets, overheated chargers, some outlets with low voltage?

One other issue I know I have is a charging port that is not tight for all micro-USB plugs. Some won't make good contact first try. After a couple of tries good contact is made.

EDIT: as luck would have it using an outlet with nothing else attached only worked a couple of times.

Unfortunately, trying everything externally hasn’t worked so it would seem as if the issue is internal, either port or connections, as the same cables/adapters work in other devices.Now, the question becomes: has anyone placed the port with success on this problem? The flex cable?

Last edited:

stavi82

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
This is definitely a hardware issue, but it's probably not the cable. The problem is the internal battery connection. If you remove the backplate, you'll see a 6-pin connector that goes straight to the battery right in the center of the tablet.

The tablet gets hot, and when it does, the pins on the female connector that pinch the contacts begin to straighten out. This degrades the connection. There are a few symptoms of a failing connector. There could be charging issues, such as slow or no charging. The screen could also flicker once the battery fails to a certain level. There could also be random reboots.

If you're brave, you could repair it by unplugging the battery, but be very careful as the heat will also degrade the pads that solder the female connector to the PCB. Once the battery is unplugged, get a magnifying glass, some tweezers, and an ultra-fine pick. Hold the black connector in place with the tweezers, and use the pick to slightly bend the connectors that contact the battery cable back in place. Don't use too much pressure, because if you shift the black connector at all, it will pop out and it's basically rocket surgery to repair that.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful info. I'll probably have to replace the port as well because all of the cables' microUSB ends are loose once in the port. Now, I do realze there are ports/plug designs where tight connections are not necessary. I could be wrong but I don't believe that is the case with this Samsung design.

I didn't think these batteries developed a memory. Is that 100% true or somewhat true? Is there a test with which you test the battery for rate and level of charge and discharge?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
There is no guessing if problem from USB port, cable, or charger by this simple USB voltage current meter
usb voltage current meter | eBay

normal.jpg

You should use different cable, charger, then USB charging port until problem found.
If nothing change, then you should look at female and male battery connectors, don't try to bend pins of male battery connector, they are not the source of problem.
Most problems of this tablet come from battery connectors but average users have no experiences to see it.

Last edited:

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Or if nothing changes could it be the issue of broken soldering as other people have cited? With all the use of that port might that cause breaks in the soldering?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The USB flex charging port is on the left side and it's not related to the battery connector which is at the center.

Galaxy Note Pro.jpg
Try to test your cable , charger, and USB port first. If nothing is changed, your problem most likely are battery connectors. I buy and sell more then dozen of Galaxy Note Pro tablets, first thing I do is resolder the battery connector and adjust the tips of battery cables from the white battery connector. All sold Note Pro tablets, I haven't received any call back from buyers. Problem from this tablet is very easily fixed but most people don't know how to do it because it requires soldering skills. Reading the threat " flickering screen " you will see all details how to fix these problems: flickering screen, auto shutdown, slow charging, battery capacity fluctuation, auto restart....etc,...all come from battery connectors.
Problem likes yours, it takes me only 10 minutes to figure out what is wrong: if USB port is working fine, the problem only comes from battery connectors. The worst is defective charging circuit but it's a rare case.

Last edited:

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, you've covered most of my problems. Ridiculously slow charging even when powered down, what seems like quick discharge, battery capacity fluctuations. I purchased new cables, adapters and a monitor. Cables/adapters work fine on my Turbo II . Monitor says the tablet is drawing .4amps at 5.2V. So when/what is the symptom that points to the need to replace the battery?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Bring it to a repair shop or anyone who knows how to solder, all you need to re solder the battery connector and it should not take than 10 minutes.
Remove the back cover, disconnect the battery cable, then the connector can be resoldered from the top. It will solve all your problems. I fixed some tablets have more serious problem than yours, they reboot continuosly or auto restart.
Watch this video how to remove the back cover, then you only need to disconnect the battery cable by prying the cable upward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzrRu8PB2Y

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, you've covered most of my problems. Ridiculously slow charging even when powered down, what seems like quick discharge, battery capacity fluctuations. I purchased new cables, adapters and a monitor. Cables/adapters work fine on my Turbo II . Monitor says the tablet is drawing .4amps at 5.2V. So when/what is the symptom that points to the need to replace the battery?
Bad battery doesn't have these problem, it takes charge normally but doesn't hold charge. Bad battery doesn't show 20% then later jumps up to 60%.
Your charging current is only 0.4 Amps indicates something wrong with your battery connector as your charger and USB cable are working.
In normal condition, the charging current should be around 1.7 Amps. If it's only 0.4 Amp, some solder joints are cracked open.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Bad battery doesn't have these problem, it takes charge normally but doesn't hold charge. Bad battery doesn't show 20% then later jumps up to 60%.
Your charging current is only 0.4 Amps indicates something wrong with your battery connector as your charger and USB cable are working.
In normal condition, the charging current should be around 1.7 Amps. If it's only 0.4 Amp, some solder joints are cracked open.

Thanks. Wanted to get all the issues discussed/covered before I go and direct the repair shop what I want done. Armed with this info I can make inquiries about time to fix and cost prior to choosing a shop. Great.

dwcrook

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Were you able to resolve your issues with battery discharging event when plugged in? I have multiple devices exhibiting these same problems. Is the voltage current meter the best way to begin troubleshooting?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Were you able to resolve your issues with battery discharging event when plugged in? I have multiple devices exhibiting these same problems. Is the voltage current meter the best way to begin troubleshooting?
For any tablet, with a voltage current meter, known working charger, USB cable, and USB port flex cable, I can find the source of problem within 5 minutes. Begin with charger, then USB cable, if nothing wrong is found, I can start swapping the USB charging flex cable right on the spot, disconnect the current one and connect the new one to mainboard, then test it. This method of elimination only take 5 to 10 minutes to find the bad part.
If everything is fine, then you start to inspect battery connectors, this one requires experiences and the help of microscope to see cracked solder joints.
Besides charger, USB cable, and USB charging port, troubleshoot further is beyond the scope of most average users.

robbsc

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this exact issue! It describes perfectly....... will not charge, and when plugged in, will occasionally get the RED X and a beep. In fact, if I leave it plugged in, it will beep about every 30-60 seconds. Did you have to get the table repaired?

Ciderprovider

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I also have had the same problem.
I have replaced the battery and charging cable and the micro USB port, factory reset the lot.
Still have the problem of intermittent charging and then it will drain power if i leave cable connected.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87