Galaxy note 8.0 N5110 - not charging after battery upgrade

Jorge Humberto

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

The battery of my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-n5110 was lasting under an hour and I decided to replace the battery. I bought a brand new one (from 2017) and replaced the old battery (from 2013). Since then, the tablet stopped charging at all. Before, apart from the short battery, tablet was working fine.

Some symptoms:
1) The new battery showed at 66% charge and ran for a couple of hours and then the screen started flashing and tablet switched off.
2) The old battery showed charging at ~70%, but would die after a few minutes;
3) both batteries now show as charging when plugged in and go to maximum 3-4%;
4) when plugged in, I am able to go into download mode and TWRP and keep there "forever";
5) when I disconnect the charging cable, the screen flickers a bit and tablet switches off (low power on battery);
6) I've tested with different cables and chargers that work on other devices;
7) I've replaced the charging port, no change;
8) in TWRP, tablet states that "/data" cannot be mounted
9) if I let it charge while in download mode, it does charge, but very slowly - e.g. 24% in 3h for the new battery. Finally managed to get the battery charged to 100%, but in download mode after a few hours.
10) flashed a new ROM on it (LineageOS 14.1) and still have the same issue: It charges (slowly) in download mode, but that's it.

Tablet is rooted and has LineageOS 14.1 installed on it.

Any ideas? I've read somewhere that it might not charge due to a corrupted kernel, but it did not fix after flashing a new ROM...

Cheers
Jorge

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You probably didn't plug something back properly, tore a wire or broke a component. This is why I don't recommend fixing devices yourself - if you haven't done 20 or 30 different types of devices, you don't even realize that you're doing something wrong, when you do it.

I'd guess (I can't do more without having it on the bench) that it has to go into a repair shop - but a 6 year old device can be replaced by a better one cheaper than the repair will be.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Note8 forum (for the more recent phone) to the Note 8.0 Tablet forum.

Jorge Humberto

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
You probably didn't plug something back properly, tore a wire or broke a component. This is why I don't recommend fixing devices yourself - if you haven't done 20 or 30 different types of devices, you don't even realize that you're doing something wrong, when you do it.

Still did not go over 20, but getting there and never had this issue before. Besides, how do I get experience if I do not try to fix stuff myself. I certainly have more experience now than I had when I started fixing mobiles by myself almost 20 years ago. ;)

Now, to the point, it could be that I broke something, but I find it strange as I was (as always) extremely careful... What I find strange is that the tablet charges fine (albeit slowly) when in download mode. And nothing when off or on.

I get the feeling that there might be a cable issue involved (although not the sole culprit), I've bought a used one for parts, and getting a similar issue (although it charges when off), so I will be ordering an original Samsung cable to test and I'll update this thread.

I'd guess (I can't do more without having it on the bench) that it has to go into a repair shop - but a 6 year old device can be replaced by a better one cheaper than the repair will be.

true, but not as fun ;)

besides I really like this tablet :)

Ilkin Jamalli

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
@Jorge Did you manage to get the bottom of the issue? I have replaced the battery and it looked good initially until battery dropped to 24% then it does not even charge.
Just put it on download mode and it seems charging now. Should I change the USB port too?

Jorge Humberto

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
@Jorge Did you manage to get the bottom of the issue? I have replaced the battery and it looked good initially until battery dropped to 24% then it does not even charge.
Just put it on download mode and it seems charging now. Should I change the USB port too?

@Ilkin
Sorry for the late reply, haven't looked into this for a long time. No, I could not find the problem, although I suspect that it is software related as I reflashed everything with the stock rom and it worked fine and then, after upgrading to a more recent Android it stopped charging normally and only charges in download mode as well...