How to do downgrade my Android Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2?

A

AC Question

How to do downgrade Android. My Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Would I like to downgrade, the current Android is 5.02.
How to do this ? Thanks

javyn

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to do downgrade Android. My Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

There is no easy answer, as the method is slightly different for every device.

Find a subforum on XDA for your Note and go from there.

FWIW, I had to downgrade my Nexus 7 grouper because 5.0 was garbage on it. I found SlimKat based on 4.4 to be a very good ROM.

The gist of it though will be this:

1) Download a new ROM and an Open Gaps package and load it on your device via USB

2) Root your device and load TWRP onto it through Nexus Root Toolkit

3) Boot into TWRP to load and install your ROM and Open Gaps

Be sure to research specific instructions for your device though.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

There is no easy answer, as the method is slightly different for every device.

Find a subforum on XDA for your Note and go from there.

FWIW, I had to downgrade my Nexus 7 grouper because 5.0 was garbage on it. I found SlimKat based on 4.4 to be a very good ROM.

The gist of it though will be this:

1) Download a new ROM and an Open Gaps package and load it on your device via USB

2) Root your device and load TWRP onto it through Nexus Root Toolkit

3) Boot into TWRP to load and install your ROM and Open Gaps

Be sure to research specific instructions for your device though.

Uhhh . . are these instructions specifically applicable to a Note Pro?

I ask because this is the first time I've seen Nexus Root Toolkit being used as a reference to installing recovery on this device. Typically folks use Odin. Also, as far as ROM support goes it varies by variant so it isn't enough to say a tablet is a Note Pro . . there's many Note Pros out there and very little ROM development for them in general (if at all for some variants).

As stated earlier OP would do well to explore the Note Pro subforum on XDA instead and be specific about the exact model number, whether it be an SM-P900, 901, 905, 907 etc. etc. etc.

javyn

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
NRT was my bad, but the first line of my response applies, he needs to research XDA.

I was just trying to give a quick general rundown with the main steps.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

tjmethod

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Hello,
Just curious why you want to downgrade? I just bought one and it came with the 5.0.2 also. I cannot figure out why the S-Planner which is in system apps can't be installed, they were there before- I still have 4.4.2 on my 2014 10.1, 2 of my previous version note 10.1's and my Verizon Note 3. I guess I may consider downgrading myself if I can't get S-Planner installed. The rolodex thing is cute, but the toolbox switch seems useless. Well the instructions don't look hard. So is your S-Planner missing in apps and widgets?

tjmethod

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

This sounds like the thing to do. Now I am assuming the bootloader will be of course in the firmware? Just need to load BL, AP & CSC...Is there a specific version of Odin that needs to be used? I think I have 3.09 & 3.10
Thanks

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

BL= Bootloader
AP= Firmware
CSC= For region, you may not need it.
Any version Odin will work, I use either 3.07, 3.09. 3.10 with no differences as long you are using correct firmware and Bootloader.
However, your tablet needs to be rooted to get rid of the software update. It automatic downloads 1gb data to update to Lollipop even the option Update Software is disable.

gndill

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Beut,

Your msg states that the device needs to be rooted before it can be downgraded from 5.0.2.

I'm running 5.1.1 on a NotePro SM-P905V (Verizon LTE) and I'm unable to root it using Odin and TWRP viennaltexx 2.87 apparently b/c it has a locked bootloader. I was thinking that my only option would also be to downgrade to an earlier version (Kit Kat) if I wanted to attempt to root it.

If what you're saying is accurate then I cannot even downgrade until I get my device rooted...but I can't root my device.

Any ideas on how to get the bootloader unlocked on my 905V model ? And is that all that is needed in order for the rooting process to succeed ?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm running 5.1.1 on a NotePro SM-P905V (Verizon LTE) and I'm unable to root it using Odin and TWRP viennaltexx 2.87 apparently b/c it has a locked bootloader.

Note Pro SM-P905 has a locked bootloader, you cannot downgrade to Kitkat . From Kitkat to Lollipop it's OK via Odin but downgrade is not working as it detect an older version.
Other Note Pro with Wifi version is OK as bootloader is not locked as the LTE/4G version.

gndill

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

It sounds as though there is no method for unlocking the bootloader on my SM-P905V, correct ?

Which means there is no way to root my device.

I noticed that some other manufacturers (HTC) have websites that allow device owners to unlock the bootloader.
I haven't found such a website for Samsung devices.

Edit 20160529:
I attempted to root using TowelRoot 3 and entering the special code for 905V with no luck.
I noticed elsewhere that a 905V owner posted they had success rooting using TowelRoot 3.
I have since purchased a wifi only model SM-P900 and rooted it in just 2 minutes.
I flashed CM13.0-20160406 with SU 2.67 and it worked but encountered sluggish graphics even with minimal services running.
Then I wiped & flashed CM12.1-20151104, Open_Gapps-arm-5.1-mini-20160527, SU 2.67 with extremely good performance (Nova Launcher).

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I guess carriers lock bootloader to prevent users to modify the LTE/4G device to use as a phone. I see other LTE/4G Samsung tablets sold outside US can use as a phone.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

Verizon seems to be the worst about,locking devices they sell