FoxFi "free Hotspot"

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
So it sounds too good to be true, and you know the rest of the saying... if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
Free App gives you the ability to Hotspot your phone, without paying the extra charge to your carrier. So, what's the catch. My IT guys at work tell me it's one of two ways... if the FoxFi folks are supplying the data to their app, then they're able to track info about you. If they're not providing data, and the data is being supplied by the carrier... the carrier will know immediately that a new address is accessing their data, and therefore, they'll automatically switch your plan and of course, up the fee.
I'm clearly no IT guy, and please pardon my simplistic terminology if it's wrong... but really... I love this free hotspot, and it works great on the Skyrocket... provided it really is free, and I'm not opening up all my info to who knows???

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Update to previous post: Today when I used FoxFi, a new window came up when I tried to shut FoxFi off. I don't remember the exact words, but something to the extent of Hotspot has been activated by a different program, not FoxFi. I immediately went to the Skyrockets network settings to check it's own system's Tethering and portable hostspot settings. The portable WiFi hotpost choice was greyed out, with a check mark in the box, but it too was grey, and not green. It did however list the IP address of my tablet that I was using off my phones hotspot.

I immediately called ATT to make sure I was not being charged for portable Hotspot service. She said I was not being charged, nor can that feature be activated without going on line to their website and specifically requesting it, or calling them.

So bottomline... I don't feel comfortable with the fact that somehow the FoxFi app had handed off the hotspot setup to the Skyrocket's app. And although ATT seemed to confirm that 1) I was not being charged for Hotspot service, and 2) Hotspot service cannot be activated directly through the phone, I'm not convinced this is all fee safe.

Anyone else using this app. I wouldn't be writing all of this if I didn't really like the idea of using the app, but in the end, if I end up paying $30/mon for it, that wouldn't be so good at all!

Please, anyone else ever see the window I refered to??

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Galaxy S II Hercules (T-Mobile's version), and I have used FoxFi a few times, and have not seen the dialog you are referring to.

If that changes, I'll let you know.

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It does seem to be true what I was told by ATT. The only way you can "sign up" for ATT hotspot is by phone or online. You cannot do it over the phone. I gave it a try on my Skyrocket- tried to sign into the official "system" Hotspot. All I got was a constant signing in circle. That makes me feel a bit better. Although there was that odd window I got (earlier post), ATT never charged or noticed any change in my account. So... I really like this app!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
is your phone rooted? if yes then you can simply disable TetheringManager2.apk with any app like titanium backup or nobloat and use built in wifi hotspot on your phone. it will not be grayed out. no apps required.. thats what I'm succesfully doing since december last year...

Reactions: robor007

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting option that I should check out. I've been "fearing" the whole rooting business, but maybe the way to go. This app allows me this access without rooting, but you're right... seems like many more options avail once rooted.

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
is your phone rooted? if yes then you can simply disable TetheringManager2.apk with any app like titanium backup or nobloat and use built in wifi hotspot on your phone. it will not be grayed out. no apps required.. thats what I'm succesfully doing since december last year...

Wow, that was easy!

(Disable = Freeze in Titanium Backup)

Thank you, sir! Liked and Thanked!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that was easy!

(Disable = Freeze in Titanium Backup)

Thank you, sir! Liked and Thanked!
:) enjoy, someone from this forum mentioned this a few months ago so i'm just passing along the info. :) I noticed btw that my ipad 2 tends to connect immediatly whereas before when i tried a couple of apps I've had issues.
and also I have a question for those who frequently use tethering. is it OK to leave tethering constantly activated on your phone even when not actually using it? i dont think it will eat the battery if not used... I prolly need to test it myself...

robor007

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't leave tethering always enabled. It might eat battery and it will definitely use ore data since your phone will be using your data plan (rather than wifi) as well as whatever is tethered to it.

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Update to previous post: Today when I used FoxFi, a new window came up when I tried to shut FoxFi off. I don't remember the exact words, but something to the extent of Hotspot has been activated by a different program, not FoxFi. I immediately went to the Skyrockets network settings to check it's own system's Tethering and portable hostspot settings. The portable WiFi hotpost choice was greyed out, with a check mark in the box, but it too was grey, and not green. It did however list the IP address of my tablet that I was using off my phones hotspot.

I immediately called ATT to make sure I was not being charged for portable Hotspot service. She said I was not being charged, nor can that feature be activated without going on line to their website and specifically requesting it, or calling them.

So bottomline... I don't feel comfortable with the fact that somehow the FoxFi app had handed off the hotspot setup to the Skyrocket's app. And although ATT seemed to confirm that 1) I was not being charged for Hotspot service, and 2) Hotspot service cannot be activated directly through the phone, I'm not convinced this is all fee safe.

Anyone else using this app. I wouldn't be writing all of this if I didn't really like the idea of using the app, but in the end, if I end up paying $30/mon for it, that wouldn't be so good at all!

Please, anyone else ever see the window I refered to??

Sir you're being silly. This window popped up because the app just takes advantage of the stock tethering built into the android os. It was just letting you know that the android os was actually using it. I've been using a bypass method for as long as my nexus has been out and even before that. No harm. It just turns it on in the app. If you find a widget that allows you to toggle tether one click that will also work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah btw there is a widget just for that. "hotspot widget" by Harald Muller from the market it puts a very neat icon on your screen so you wont have to go into settings. just tap and its ready.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I dont have the paid version of titanium, can I just delete the tetheringmanager file?
i use NoBloat Free from the market. its well.. free.. BUT!! DO NOT delete anything from the system just disable it. if you delete something you may end up with a broken/non working phone! so just disable it with free version of NoBloat and keep this app on your phone should you ever want to reverse the change.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I added foxfi and turned on wifi hotspot and it isn't showing up on my devices. When I turn on mobile hotspot it wants me to pay Verizon 30 extra to activate. How are you guys getting around this?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

LuvrGirl

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T so I wouldn't know about Verizon... but you're not trying to turn on the hotspot feature from your phone right? Everything is done thru the FoxFi app.. SSID network name, password, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi