Google Voice Commands, Can't Make Calls??

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I've been testing voice commands on my Skyrocket and most everything works great! I can search the web, navigate to, show things on a map, etc. The 2 things that are not working well or basically not working at all are call and text. If I say "Call Jon Doe Mobile" it doesn't find John Doe in my contacts and either calls some business or gives me a search list. If I say "Text John Doe, Message: Hello" It puts all of that in the message and nothing in to "To" field. I have all of my contacts synced with Gmail, I can touch the "To" field and speak a name and it will find it, so, I know it sees my contacts. Why does this part not work worth a crap?? My Windows phone worked flawlessly for texting and making calls. I am loving the Navigate command though!! Works great! Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong or should I use some other app for making calls using my voice??

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I know Voice Commands have this capability (or, the call feature, at least), because I could do it with my old phone. I haven't had the need to try it on my SR yet (first week i've had it). I'm at work now, but when I get a chance I'll try it out and see.

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
You would think this would be a very simple function, even old flip phones can dial a number by voice command. I see that alot of people use Vlingo for driving, I may download that and give it a try. Just wish that the stock Google app did what I wanted it to. I liked how my Windows phone would read text messages to me while I was driving and ask if I wanted to reply. So simple.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I talked to a manager at AT&T, he said the SR has the capability to do it, but it needed a software update. The people that got the last update which was later pulled back said the voice dialing was fixed, the problem was it would not install on all phones for whatever reason(I tried 3 times). I downloaded "hands free voice dialer CD+", I like it better then Vlingo, but try Vlingo first, CD+ only offers a short refund period, Vlingo is FREE.

Don't know why Samsung has a problem with voice dialing, my Samsung Galaxy had to wait for an update too, but my HTC Inspire did voice dialing out of the box with an older Android version then my SR.

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Ya man, tried to get this thing to call my friend Les, and it kept coming up with call Los Vegas...it's times like that I miss the iphone 4s's Siri...best app ever...vlingo....should be called Flingo...as you want to throw the phone out the window in about 2 minutes...worst app ever...

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Well i'm kind of glad i'm not the only one having this problem. Wish I wasn't having this problem though, lol. I downloaded Skyvi, so far its ok, I'll try it for a day our so and see how it does. It seems like everyone hates vlingo, although it's rated pretty high on the market. I'll keep searching for the best solution I guess.

spddy

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
now i know why it wont work on my sr. I have tried vlingo and the commands dont work. still on 3.5 something.

patrick533

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
now i know why it wont work on my sr. I have tried vlingo and the commands dont work. still on 3.5 something.

hands free voice dialer CD+ does work, I think it is 5 bucks, but it is kind of hit and miss. The voice dialer in my Inspire was much better. In LA or even Cali, just holding a phone is a pretty good size ticket once they tack on all the fees and penalties, so I paid 5 bucks.

I had my remote to my car Stereo in my hand one day, it sorta looks like a tiny cell phone, I had cops coming out of the woodwork at me, I passed through some sort of checkpoint and they seen the remote, it was like I robbed a bank, once I proved it was a remote to my Stereo, no "sorry for the mistake" or anything, they acted like kids who had just been told "Santa isn't real!".

I wish Samsung or AT&T would get the patch or ICS out so we could use all of the features in our phones, I even asked before hand if the SR would voice dial and I was told yes....... I tried an old RAZR with my in car Bluetooth and it worked perfect.....:mad:

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I had a co-worker try it on his new Droid Razr and he has the same problem. He does have an app called "Voice Commands" on his phone that looks to be a Motorola factory app and it works pretty good......not as good as my Windows Phone did, but, a lot better than that Google search. Oh well, so much for being totally hands free.

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! Ok, here is what I found guys. I have essentially 3 email accounts set up on my phone. I have my personal email which is actually my Windows Live account and it's set up to sync everything, contacts, calendar and all. I have my Work account which is Exchange and it only syncs email and calendar. There aren't any sync settings that I can find for Gmail other than being able to manually sync contacts and all. I have been trying to do that and nothing was working. So, I went online and found my contacts in Gmail...........guess what??? It was empty!!!!!! Soooooooooo, I went into my Windows live mail client on my PC and exported all of my contacts to a *.csv file and imported them into Gmail. I then tried making some calls and sending texts via Google Search and it worked flawlessly!!! So, go check your Gmail account and make darn sure that your contacts are actually there!!!

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK. Now this is really strange. I just tried voice text and calling and it suddenly worked. I didn't make any changes to my phone that I am aware of.

cory2081

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
LOL, Did Google just fix it?? I mean, perhaps it was a GMail problem that wasn't allowing the phone to search your contacts?? I guess we will see who else chimes in on this subject.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
One odd thing. When I just voice texted my wife, it used a non-primary number for her. I double checked her contact listing to make sure. Not sure what is up with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa