Eject USB Thumb Drive Safely in ICS?

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I got an adapter cable and was able to plug in a USB thumb drive and it all seems to work fine. But I didn't see any way to unmount it before unplugging it.

I noticed later that I got a notification that I had unsafely removed it. That's usually of no real concern, but it seems to say that there IS a way to "eject" it properly.

Does anyone know how?

This is under ICS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

timbe_r

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Try dropping down your notificaiton bar and check if there is an entry there. Mine says "USB mass storage connected". Select it and it should unmount your drive. That is how my Galaxy SII with ICS is.

jimrob233

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a (remarkably) cheap Chinese tablet with WM8850 & ICS. It can cope happily with any kind of storage plugged into the USB port and mounts it automatically. This doesn't appear in the notification area. To unmount it, you have to go into the settings menu and it's buried deep under storage options>USB>unmount SD card (sic). That unmounts the USB storage and more importantly doesn't unmount the SD card. It would be handy if there was a button on the home screen that did the job, but my knowledge of ICS isn't (yet) sufficient to write one. There are a number of apps for mounting and unmounting USB storage on earlier versions of storage, but none works on my tablet. Loads of good karma for anyone who can design a button that works before I feel confident enough to have a go.

Reactions: Dexxx

Dexxx

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a (remarkably) cheap Chinese tablet with WM8850 & ICS. It can cope happily with any kind of storage plugged into the USB port and mounts it automatically. This doesn't appear in the notification area. To unmount it, you have to go into the settings menu and it's buried deep under storage options>USB>unmount SD card (sic). That unmounts the USB storage and more importantly doesn't unmount the SD card. It would be handy if there was a button on the home screen that did the job, but my knowledge of ICS isn't (yet) sufficient to write one. There are a number of apps for mounting and unmounting USB storage on earlier versions of storage, but none works on my tablet. Loads of good karma for anyone who can design a button that works before I feel confident enough to have a go.

Thanks a bunch for sharing man :). I have been investigating this eversince I got mine 2 days ago. Like you, I also have this unbelievably cheap (and most probably) Chinese made TABLET (It's a 7 inch SHARE tablet model mid-2130), but works wonders already! ICS is running perfectly and I have no lag time. I am considering to expand my memory to 32 GB for more fun and cool apps to download. :p

occidental tourist

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
same experience. have to go to the settings to dismount USB. i've got a chinese 7" laptop WITH KEYS (god I hope Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave). My USB problem is I can't figure out how to get any of the music players to look at the USB port for their basic playlist. I don't want to fill up the modest onboard storage with music but I've got 32Gig USB Flash full of music. Making a new thread for that topic.

Glenn Stumpff

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the same question. My flash drive shows up in the notifications pull down (at least it did before I accidentally cleared it the last time) but tapping it just displays the list of files on the flash drive. There's no option to eject it. That's not a big deal if you haven't written anything to the flash drive, but I need to be able to do that too.

DC LIN

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I have the same question. My flash drive shows up in the notifications pull down (at least it did before I accidentally cleared it the last time) but tapping it just displays the list of files on the flash drive. There's no option to eject it. That's not a big deal if you haven't written anything to the flash drive, but I need to be able to do that too.

on my S7 active updated to Nougat, pull down on the notification and there is an unmount option directly, no need to hunt in the settings

Attachments

• 6732940789529.jpg
    6732940789529.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana