Android Hotspot on AT&T - Extra Charge?

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have my Samsung Galaxy S II on a $10 unlimited data plan and wanted to know if I activated the built in hotspot if AT&T will charge me for its use.

Seeing as though the IMEI is not in their system, and they think its a dumb phone because they cant recognize it, will they be able to detect the tether?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
$10 unlimited plan? With ATT? How did you get a plan like that????? Maybe you meant to say $30 grandfathered plan? In any case if you try to activate the hotspot it should give you a message that this feature has to be enabled with ATT. And yes they will charge you for that$ 45 per month. Its very easy for them to detect tethering. Your phone will start using data and ATt will immediatly see this.

Last edited:

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
If your on a family plan or have unlimited txt, AT&T will put the $10 on. They can't detect the exact model of the device because it is unlocked and a foreign IMEI number.

It has also been three days since I tried the built in hotspot app, and there has been no additional charges. There was no warning of additional charges when opening the app as well.

I don't plan to do this but once or twice per month. Only in a serious pinch when wifi is not available and I must get online.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I think if I make up my mind in getting the GS II I'll also downgrade it to the $10/mo unlimitted data plan for dumb phones.

Yes they can't really detect it b/c it's a foreing IMEI (like another user here said), so at&t customers can save monie this way as long as we don't abuse their system.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699