I'm new and I need your help!!!!!!

Analise2015

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone! :)

Since in this forum we all have the same Samsung model, could you please tell me how do you connect to the internet when you're outdoors and there is no wifi?

Two years' ago, I bought a basic Samsung Galaxy, but it was easy to access the internet by going into 'settings' and following the instructions.

In this upgraded version, 'settings' vary slightly and can no longer have access to 3G.

Could someone please help!!!!!

I eagerly await your replies. Thanks!

Analise

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Go into settings & click on data usage & make sure the mobile data option is ticked. If it is ticked & you still don't get any 3G then I have no other idea.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What Lucy was asking was if your phone's mobile data (i.e., 3G/4G radio) is turned on. Do you know if it's on? Is that Mobile Data option turned on in the menu she mentioned?

Have you ever been able to access 3G mobile data with this phone? Is it on a wireless carrier with a data plan? If so, then it might be a network coverage issue. Contact your carrier to see if they can resolve the problem.

patriotaki

Banned
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes you have to send a SMS to your carrier and enable mobile network for example in my case i had to send this message on a 4 digit number

"4G Yes"

you have to ask your carrier on how to enable mobile network

Analise2015

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I only bought this phone approx 2 weeks ago and, as yet, have not been able to use 3G. Hence the reason for this post. My previous phone was also a Samsung, but it was very basic and was no longer working properly. I had no problem using 3G, but when I bought my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I noticed that the 'settings ' varied slightly, making it difficult for me to use 3G . All I need is for someone who has the same phone to guide me on how to connect. For example, is this correct?: [Settings] >Data usage > (or) >More networks >Mobile networks >Network mode [WCDMA/?(auto connect)/WCDMA only/? only] ? = my network. I do hope I'm making sense:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think we're not entirely understanding each other here. Are you asking how to turn on mobile data so that you can access the internet from the phone? In other words, is the phone not currently connected to the internet via mobile data, and you can only use wi-fi? When you ask about turning on 3G, a lot of us aren't sure if you're using "3G" as a generic term for a phone's mobile data, or if you want to specifically use 3G instead of 2G or 4G. Most phones these days use 4G networks, so people typically don't talk about using 3G unless they specifically want to use that slower network.

Here's the manual for your phone: att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_mini_G730A.pdf. On pg 95, there are instructions on how to turn on the phone's mobile data radio to connect to the web. It should be Settings>Connections>Data Usage, then tap Mobile Data to turn it on or off.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think we're not entirely understanding each other here. Are you asking how to turn on mobile data so that you can access the internet from the phone? In other words, is the phone not currently connected to the internet via mobile data, and you can only use wi-fi? When you ask about turning on 3G, a lot of us aren't sure if you're using "3G" as a generic term for a phone's mobile data, or if you want to specifically use 3G instead of 2G or 4G. Most phones these days use 4G networks, so people typically don't talk about using 3G unless they specifically want to use that slower network.

Here's the manual for your phone: att.com/support_static_files/manuals/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_mini_G730A.pdf. On pg 95, there are instructions on how to turn on the phone's mobile data radio to connect to the web. It should be Settings>Connections>Data Usage, then tap Mobile Data to turn it on or off.
I was thinking that perhaps they are using a phone that is not branded to their particular carrier (or they're using a MVNO) and need to edit the data APN, which I why I asked which country and which carrier.

Analise2015

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi B Diddy! Thank you so much for the manual. It is indeed very useful! I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear. Perhaps, you can understand me now. I live in Gibraltar (Europe). Over here, we do not just send SMS texts, but also WhatsApp messages. As you know, for SMS texting you do not need the internet, so you can send a message from wherever you are, be it home, in the car, while you are shopping, etc. WhatsApp messaging is free, but you need to be connected to the internet without, necessarily, being connected to the wi-fi. With 3G, I am able to WhatsApp any contact of mine when I'm outdoors. My previous phone was also a Samsung Galaxy, but a very basic one since all I really wanted it for was to contact all my friends/family and also for reaching friends through WhatsApp. When I upgraded my phone a couple of weeks' ago, I noticed that the 'settings' varied slightly making it almost impossible for me to access 3G; hence, making it unable for me to contact/message anyone through WhatsApp when outdoors.

You mentioned on your first post: "............Lucy was asking was if your phone's mobile data (i.e., 3G/4G radio) is turned on. Do you know if it's on? Is that Mobile Data option turned on in the menu she mentioned?"

When I go into 'settings' and tap on 'Data usage', what I get is: 'Mobile data ...', 'Set mobile li..', Data usage cyle', and underneath a graph. Which box should I check/tick to access 3G. If you confirm that this is how I can connect to 3G, then all I need is to buy data bundle, which I buy from my server on a monthly basis. I hope this makes it clear! Lol! I'll wait for your reply. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so it sounds like you're having difficulty figuring out how to actually turn on the mobile data itself (like the way the wi-fi radio can be turned on and off). If you go to Settings>Data Usage, look for Mobile Data with a checkbox next to it. Checking it on should turn on the mobile data. If you don't have a data plan, of course, it won't do anything, so make sure you buy a data bundle.

I'm not sure what you mean when you see 'Mobile data ..." Do you actually see those 3 dots in the menu? Do you see a checkbox next to Mobile Data? From that particular screen, you might have to press the Menu button to bring up the option to turn on the Mobile Data.

One thing that would help is to show us a screenshot of that menu: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez