Gestures, Shortcuts, and Motions

Bad_SNaCKY

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this isn't redundant, but i would like to keep and maintain a thread that lists simple gestures, motions, and movements that the SIII utilizes for a more user friendly experience.

God knows that some people who buy this phone won't truly be aware of all that it can do or even open up the manual!

Post up what you don't see below and i'll add this original post! *Note that some actions may need to be enabled!

-- Physically tap the top of the phone, twice, to 'go to the top' of whatever screen you're on (email, browser, settings etc).
-- Pass hand over the front of phone from right to left to take a screen shot
-- When in camera/video mode, pan up or down to zoom in and out; tilt either way to focus.
-- After receiving a text, bring phone to face to act like you are on the phone and it will dial that same person
-- Placing phone face down while on a call will automatically put the call to speakerphone
-- Placing the phone face down while receiving a call will mute the ringer/vibrate -- aka easy ignore.
-- Covering screen when a movie or music is playing will mute
-- One finger on the screen while phone is vertical and locked, followed by a tilt 90 degrees will activate the camera.
-- One finger on the screen, while browsing, followed by tilting in various directions will either zoom in/out, or pan.

Last edited:

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
probably should've created this in the Galaxy SIII forum vs the Verizon subforum. A little help from a mod please? :-!

not a bad idea...tho i'm a sprint guy and I still tool around the other threads to see whats the buzz.

I heard you can say "cheese" to get the camera to take a picture...but something about this seems like a college prank to me..:).lol...like if you watch a clip from the food network you can smell the food coming from the speaker port on the back of the phone. :D :confused:

maybe samsung is punking us lol...that'd be funny as hell

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
any inputs on copy and pasting

no gestures, but info on how to do this is on page 30 and page 172 of THIS book.

I know its for Sprint, but it still applies to your question i think....
doesn't seem any different from any other android device, I don't think Samsung messed with the copy and paste function of ICS

O:)
hope that helps

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The moving your hand for screenshot gesture: do you just put your palm to the phone like your high fiving it and then slide it across? That seems a little odd.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The moving your hand for screenshot gesture: do you just put your palm to the phone like your high fiving it and then slide it across? That seems a little odd.

not quite...I've seen people use the side of their hand and swipe it across. bring your hand down to the phone like a karate chop...then slide it from one side to the other.

probably easier to see then describe;

LINKY

dude in the video sounds like customer service...lol sorry :D

Bad_SNaCKY

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
bit of a problem here -- i have a few of the motions and gestures enabled in the menus, but none of them actually work (i.e hand swipe for screen shot or tap top for top of screen)

mctl

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
-- Physically tap the top of the phone, twice, to 'go to the top' of whatever screen you're on (email, browser, settings etc).

The other gestures I'm familiar with but the only time it worked for me was in the Contacts screen. Never succeeded in any other app :-(

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this isn't redundant, but i would like to keep and maintain a thread that lists simple gestures, motions, and movements that the SIII utilizes for a more user friendly experience.

God knows that some people who buy this phone won't truly be aware of all that it can do or even open up the manual!

This is a handy thread. Thanks for creating it. It should be a sticky thread.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't get the screen shot or quick cam from lock screen gestures to work :'(...but this thread is helpful. I'm hoping someone with better luck can share a tip on getting these motions to work consistently.

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I heard you can say "cheese" to get the camera to take a picture...but something about this seems like a college prank to me..

This shortcut does work, although it has to be turned on in the settings. And it's pretty cool. I've been using it with the front camera to take self portrait shots for Facebook. Just turn it on, turn on camera, get it to face you (or target), and say "cheese" or "capture" loudly...wait about 2 seconds...and CLICK. picture taken.

Goofy, but I kind of like it better than hitting the button. I've also used the "smile sensor" thing, too (where it will automatically take the picture once it sees smiles...looks for crescents on faces), but it wasn't as consistent for me.

And thanks for the link to the hand swipe thing. That did help it make more sense.

K--

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the voice commands for the alarm clock. It needs a sensitivity bump though, after shouting "SNOOZE" three times I'm ready to just get up anyway lol.