Shortcuts Won't Open

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I use Firefox. It is updated. When I'm on a website, like USPS and accessesed Informed Delivery, I tell Firefox to Add To Home screen so I can quickly access mail and packages coming today.

Has always worked fine. Now, none of my manufacturered/created Firefox shortcuts will do anything. I cleared the Firefox cache, and forced stopped. I don't know if cleaning the data or reinstalling the whole app will help.
Ps...... How can I make a shortcut to this section of the forum, so I can access it instantly and not have to always start from scratch and scroll so much?

Any suggestions or reasons for this are appreciated.
Thank you

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do any links work or just the ones from the homescreen? You have to clear the default to opening links so that you get that menu asking which app should handle links. If no links work, it's harder to pin-point which app, but if you open a link elsewhere and that works, then go to that app's Settings (otherwise you'll have to do this for every browser you have on your phone) and go to the DEFAULTS section. There make sure that there's a valid app selected for BROWSER.

If that doesn't work, go to your phone's settings and look for APPS/Choose Default Apps. If there's an URL option reset it or set it to your preference. Also, make sure that the OPENING LINKS option is set to 'Open links in apps'.

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
In settings

Apps-default apps- Firefox browser selected.

Under Firefox, I cleared default app preferences.

Still, when I tap on the shortcut I generated, nothing happens.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does this happen just on the shortcuts from your homescreen? Or on any link? Have you tried switching your default to another browser and see if that works? (and then reverting back to Firefox and see if that fixes it)

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I tried clearing data, no change. I uninstalled and reinstalled no change.

Now, I'm where I really feared to be. I've lost all my daily use and needed and depended upon shortcuts that were saved on the screens. This it's now a major loss, a major headache and I can't get it back and it still didn't fix the problem.

I'm at a dead end and can't turn around or backup. I don't even know the words to convey the difficulties that I have created and have resulted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a big hassle. 😖 I wonder if it is related to a recent update to the app -- I've read about website homescreen shortcuts disappearing after a major update to a browser.

If you create a new shortcut, does that work as expected?

To avoid this headache in the future, it might be best to rely on bookmarks within the browser, rather than homescreen shortcuts.

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you B Diddy for replying.

When I make a new shortcut for placement on a homescreen or any screen, and I tap in it... Nothing happens, just like before.

My situation is this
I'm recovering from a stroke. I can walk and drive. But, I'm seeing a neuro occupational therapist for my left fingers, hand, arm and shoulder.

To communicate with my doctors, therapists, hospital, clinic, outpatient therapy for appointments, updates, and communications.... I depend upon the phone more than I can explain it stress in words.

Losing those shortcuts has created a true hardship for my daily life. It's not like I lost a video game to play. That's inconsequential.

I'm very depressed and unsure if this is fixable. It's like losing all your contacts and no backup to fall back on, which I have no experience with, but can imagine.

I'm sure I'll be able to get the things restored that I need, someday.

After being in ICU for a month, being nauseated anytime my Zofran IV played out and wore off.. Losing 35 pounds cause I only could eat popsicles.... And learning to walk again with two months in therapy... I'll make it thru this. It's just a situation that I've got to try to be patient and keep trying.

I'm really very blessed , and I'm very grateful that people on the forum are willing to share their time and effort and knowledge to help.

Thank you to everyone

• Wow
Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I posted in the Firefox help forum. I am not sure if I posted in the correct area.

I will use your links for the developers and forum and I appreciate that info.

I did go back and try several earlier versions. I think this was 123. I tried 122 and others but when installing, got a message that they were not compatible with my version of Android, Android 14. I went ahead and tried making shortcuts, but they would not open.

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? If the issue is Firefox-related, a temporary solution while they fix it is to use another app for web links.
I just tried Opera and Duck Duck

Opera was a no go.
Duck Duck did work correctly.

Wow
I can use that for now, or permanently for those shortcuts.

Is this info strange, or does it tell you what might be stopping the shortcuts from opening on Opera and Firefox?

Do you want me to try another browser to gather more clues?

Thank you for your help and advice

Reactions: B. Diddy

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This sounds more like an app-specific issue rather than a system one, so I'd send the feedback to Firefox to see if they can find a fix. I don't really know why they wouldn't work as these are basically just web links.

Now, if you create a new shortcut right now from Firefox, does Firefox open that new one (and not the old ones)?

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I did contact the Firefox developers by email and posted in the Firefox help forum provided earlier in this thread.

And, I switched to a Firefox beta, but I can generate a shortcut on my homescreen, it still will not function correctly to open. Nothing happens.

If I hear back on my inquiries to official Firefox email to developers and help forum, I'll report back.

Thank you

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000