Anti-Samsung Rant By Senior Editor of Apple User Website

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this "article" yesterday posted on our sister Apple user website iMore.com. Check out the article AND the comments! Be sure to let your opinions be known if you have them. He basically is just saying that Samsung is a sham and that everything they do is just a copy of Apple.

Funny enough as I was reading thru the comments I noticed that some of the pro-Android responses seem to disappear now and then... lol

Here's a link to the article: Editor's desk: Where's the Samsung shaped dent in the universe? | iMore.com

I was actually surprised this was written by their SENIOR Editor! :eek:

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
In his story, he conveniently left out that apple sues for features they got from other companies.

They haven't sued for it, but I seem to remember the pull down menu coming from android.

Apple is hypocrites.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

Reactions: jontalk

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that was sad. "Their gallery icon is a flower with a blue background", call the whaaambulance. I posted already. No Apple user seems to care of course that Apple copied the notification bar, copied Xerox's mouse and GUI ideas, etc.

Rev.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of which site it is talking about which device, I find it sad, poor journalism when actual staffers "go on a rant."

You should have seen the multitude of unprofessional "rants" that flew around on the "Precentral" blog around the time the Palm franchise was circling the drain.

If people want blog sites to be treated as legitimate, they need to act like they deserve to be treaded legitimately.

At the bare minimum, do it the way real reports blatantly show their favoritism; by quoting someone not affiliated with the news outlet.

-Suntan

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The real question is....besides lawyers, fan boys and, editor/bloggers...no one cares. A slab is a slab.

Would you like an Android slab or an Apple slab. Clearly Apple isnt hurting and neither is Samsung, the competitive market is working in thier favor.

Dont pay these rants too much time, they are designed to get clicks. Mission accomplished.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this "article" yesterday posted on our sister Apple user website iMore.com. Check out the article AND the comments! Be sure to let your opinions be known if you have them. He basically is just saying that Samsung is a sham and that everything they do is just a copy of Apple.

Funny enough as I was reading thru the comments I noticed that some of the pro-Android responses seem to disappear now and then... lol

Here's a link to the article: Editor's desk: Where's the Samsung shaped dent in the universe? | iMore.com

I was actually surprised this was written by their SENIOR Editor! :eek:

Not just Apple, but also BlackBerry (Samsung Blackjack) and Palm.

As an Android fan, I can see blatant examples of Samsung copying Apple. When Apple vs. Samsung first broke, Nilay Patel and company over at the Verge/This Is My Next had a great breakdown of exactly what Samsung copied. I mean really- music player icon has a CD in it?

Samsung even tried copying the Apple dock connector. lol.

And when Samsung's own lawyers couldn't tell one of Samsung's own Tab devices apart from an iPad (German court? It was somewhere in Europe, I think), Samsung loses credibility with me.

Go ahead and flame away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of which site it is talking about which device, I find it sad, poor journalism when actual staffers "go on a rant."

You should have seen the multitude of unprofessional "rants" that flew around on the "Precentral" blog around the time the Palm franchise was circling the drain.

If people want blog sites to be treated as legitimate, they need to act like they deserve to be treaded legitimately.

At the bare minimum, do it the way real reports blatantly show their favoritism; by quoting someone not affiliated with the news outlet.

-Suntan

Precentral had every right to rant after Palm and hp ran what could've been the greatest mobile os to exist right in to the ground. I truly was heart broken. I thought we were going to bounce back. Kept my pre 3 years...

Any ways Apple is full of crap they complain about a Google search function that originally started with webOS... And they took notification bar from android. They are so aggravating

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Not just Apple, but also BlackBerry (Samsung Blackjack) and Palm.

As an Android fan, I can see blatant examples of Samsung copying Apple. When Apple vs. Samsung first broke, Nilay Patel and company over at the Verge/This Is My Next had a great breakdown of exactly what Samsung copied. I mean really- music player icon has a CD in it?

Samsung even tried copying the Apple dock connector. lol.

And when Samsung's own lawyers couldn't tell one of Samsung's own Tab devices apart from an iPad (German court? It was somewhere in Europe, I think), Samsung loses credibility with me.

Go ahead and flame away.

The "Apple" dock connector? No need to flame....

Search for "Has Apple really ever invented anything" on YouTube. You need to.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
that was actualy an ok read. not as poisonus as i thought. i can see that samsung use (copy) things that work but i dont see that as a bad thing for us, the consumer :)

Splange

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I actually came around to agreeing with much of the article. Whatever you can say about the patents, it's clear that Samsung copies its competitors on the trade dress part.

I also think it's okay for him to rant about it, this is a blog we're talking about, a professional blog but nonetheless it's permissible for him to be informal.

That being said, I had to really disagree with him on calling the s3 a palm clone. The two phones are nothing alike except that they have curved designs. It's a stretch to imagine that Samsung set out to build a pre knock off. No sane individual could mistake the two. So To recap, if Samsung makes straight line designs they're copying Apple, but if they curve them they're copying palm? Doesn't make much sense.

The Lumia 900,which everyone including apple points to as a form factor that's different from the iPhone, has more in common with the Iphone than the s3 has with the pre.

I also generally disagree with rene's opinion on the s3 (expressed in this and other articles) as being uninspiring with great specs and nothing more. I understand that it's subjective but to me it just sounds like a dismissive excuse.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah the s3/palm thing was rediculous man. a phone can either be squared or rounded lol either way sammy could have been accused of copying. even the BB thing, all the manufacturers had bb clones coz touchscreens just werent good enough to type on. nokia did it very blatantly too

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Huge android fan here having owned 7 android phones, four of them Samsung. I agree that many of Samsung products look similar to competitors including iphone and ipad. There are many instances in which this occurs in business. Although they may look the same I feel they are differentiated enough in the way the products work. Jobs hated Google because he felt that android was a stolen product. Samsung just packaged it in a similar manner.

Of course I thought Rene was reaching comparing the SGSIII to the palm pre...I think this lawsuit has gotten serious because Apple knows it cannot compete with Samsung in the business cycle of the smart phone so it is trying to slow Samsung down. As a consumer I like the business cycle of Samsung and as a shareholder of Apple and Google, I am happy so let the chips fall where they may.

I suspect there are enough of these cases in history to show precedence and that Samsung changes the products enough to avoid judgment...I hope.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The "Apple" dock connector? No need to flame....

Search for "Has Apple really ever invented anything" on YouTube. You need to.

Until the GS3 (and the Note), I've always seen Samsung as reactionary company. They've always followed more than they've led, in my opinion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Huge android fan here having owned 7 android phones, four of them Samsung. I agree that many of Samsung products look similar to competitors including iphone and ipad. There are many instances in which this occurs in business. Although they may look the same I feel they are differentiated enough in the way the products work. Jobs hated Google because he felt that android was a stolen product. Samsung just packaged it in a similar manner.

Of course I thought Rene was reaching comparing the SGSIII to the palm pre...I think this lawsuit has gotten serious because Apple knows it cannot compete with Samsung in the business cycle of the smart phone so it is trying to slow Samsung down. As a consumer I like the business cycle of Samsung and as a shareholder of Apple and Google, I am happy so let the chips fall where they may.

I suspect there are enough of these cases in history to show precedence and that Samsung changes the products enough to avoid judgment...I hope.

I agree that the Pre/GS3 comparison was a reach.

I will disagree about Apple doing these lawsuits because they can't compete. As long as Apple's is raking in huge profit, they'll be just fine. Marketshare to me isn't that relevant when Apple is losing that battle yet brings in more money than anyone else.