Repeating Calendar Events With End Date Don't Stop When They're Supposed To

rorywohl

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing this is one of those "things that just happen to me," but I figure I'll ask anyway.

In Google Calendar (on the web) I set-up a daily repeating event that ends after, say, six days.
The day of the last event passes, but the calendar on my SGS3 keeps repeating it.
It doesn't show up on Google Calendar, but there it is, on my phone.

In order to get it to stop showing up on my phone, I have to go back into GCal, delete the original event, and force my phone to sync (if I wait for the "normal" phone/GCal sync, the event doesn't get deleted from my phone).

Anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks,
- Rory

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing this is one of those "things that just happen to me," but I figure I'll ask anyway.
In Google Calendar (on the web) I set-up a daily repeating event that ends after, say, six days.
The day of the last event passes, but the calendar on my SGS3 keeps repeating it.
It doesn't show up on Google Calendar, but there it is, on my phone.
In order to get it to stop showing up on my phone, I have to go back into GCal, delete the original event, and force my phone to sync (if I wait for the "normal" phone/GCal sync, the event doesn't get deleted from my phone).
Anyone else ever seen this?
Thanks,
- Rory
I can't say I've seen this specific thing on my calendars, but I have seen other odd behavior in syncing recurring events. There have been, in the past, known issues with recurring/repeating events that are set with # of times to repeat but no "end date" defined, that do not sync properly with Samsung's stock android calendar. How did you define the event when you created it on the web? Did you set it to repeat x times, or did you actually insert an end date?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the API doesn't pass all columns/fields for events between the web calendar instance and the native android app, thereby causing undesired behavior on the phone's calendar.

adamledvina

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having a very similar issue. I have a series of events set to repeat daily. Often, I need to move one of the instances of the event to a different start / stop time or duration, or delete. The SGS3 device is NOT showing that information accurately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bernard Sufrin

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same problem. Appointments placed in Google Calendar [from the Thunderbird interface] with a fixed number of repeats [specified by start date and number of occurences] are synchronized to the Android Calendar app with indefinite numbers of repeats.

What's more, there's no way to edit them on the phone itself; and the only way of getting rid of them is to wait until the last appointment, then delete the whole series.
This is a major inconvenience for me.

Does anybody know of another calendar app that will sync with Google Calendars?

[Written later]

I've investigated further and found that his happens to me ONLY when multiple appointments are specified by start date and number of occurences from the Thunderbird interface to Google Calendar, but not when made with start-and-end dates from the Thunderbird interface.

It doesn't happen when multiple appointments are specified by start date and number of occurences directly in the Google Calendar web interface.

Existing problems caused by using the Thunderbird numbers-of-occurence interface can be fixed by using ''edit-all-occurences'' on each (collection of) event(s) to set an explicit end date.

Last edited:

SkiWithChar

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I also have this very same problem both on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and on my iPad, so I think it's a mobile version thing and not a device specific thing. It's annoying!! I've had my S2 for 1.5 years and this just started happening a few months ago (I only got my iPad for xmas, and I'd already noticed the S2 problem by then). Any workarounds to fix this on the mobile versions would be terrific!!

SkiWithChar

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same problem. Appointments placed in Google Calendar [from the Thunderbird interface] with a fixed number of repeats [specified by start date and number of occurences] are synchronized to the Android Calendar app with indefinite numbers of repeats.

What's more, there's no way to edit them on the phone itself; and the only way of getting rid of them is to wait until the last appointment, then delete the whole series.
This is a major inconvenience for me.

Does anybody know of another calendar app that will sync with Google Calendars?

[Written later]

I've investigated further and found that his happens to me ONLY when multiple appointments are specified by start date and number of occurences from the Thunderbird interface to Google Calendar, but not when made with start-and-end dates from the Thunderbird interface.

It doesn't happen when multiple appointments are specified by start date and number of occurences directly in the Google Calendar web interface.

Existing problems caused by using the Thunderbird numbers-of-occurence interface can be fixed by using ''edit-all-occurences'' on each (collection of) event(s) to set an explicit end date.

This does also happen to me when I've specified an end date, so this workaround doesn't apply to my situation :-(