Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Battery draining fast

First thing? You use S-Voice instead of the Google Now Voice Search?

Also, looking at RAM at the bottom of the screen, you are using a lot it seems. mine right now is 477mb used and 1.1GB free

The Samsung Push Service, I have that disabled and numerous other "Samsung" named applications that came on the phone. I won't say that it has helped my battery life, not sure, but I didn't use the Samsung account at all, so I just disabled it.

Does Swift Key show up on your list under your battery much?

Also, is that "Sync Service" a Verizon thing or something from the Play Store?

Did your phone stay awake most of the night again?

And last for now..when you go to your accounts (menu, settings, accounts) and the choose google, then choose your google account and look at everything set to sync..what all is checked there?

Oh and forgot to add: FIRST thing I would try is uninstalling that battery booster, running a few days and see what happens.

The amount of RAM in use has no real impact on battery life. It all gets refreshed, all the time, regardless of whether it's "used" or not. Having apps in RAM is more efficient than repeatedly reloading them from ROM.

Anyway, I don't know what all of those apps do, but many of them sound like the kinds of apps that do background data updates. If you've got a dozen apps doing data syncing in the background, that can chew up a lot of radio use, and a lot of battery. For every app that does background updates, see what the syncing interval is. Unless you really need rapid updates, try decreasing the frequency, or turn it off completely (on an app by app basis).

And get rid of the battery save. There doesn't seem to be any evidence those things actually help.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I'd suggest using the "BetterBattery Stats" app, and find out what's going on with wakelocks and how much time your phone spends in various states. You should be aiming to increase your time in "deep sleep" state, phones that are using battery quickly typically don't spend much time at all in "deep sleep". At any rate, you can use that app to research your battery usage problems and find out which apps are keeping your phone awake. Then you can decide if you really need them and uninstall if reasonable, or look at changing their settings to see if you can't get them to sleep more. You have a lot of apps running, and any one or more of them could be keeping your phone awake.

I think that I'd also turn off all syncing for the time being, and see what effect that has. You can always sync manually for a little while during your research. But be careful about changing too much at one time, like turn off all syncing, and then turn each app sync on (if you decide you want to) one at a time and see what the effect of each is. I'm currently not doing any automatic syncing at all, gmail only gets sync'd when I go to read it, for example. But this isn't suitable for everyone, and may be an issue for work email *smile*.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    I'd suggest using the "BetterBattery Stats" app, and find out what's going on with wakelocks and how much time your phone spends in various states. You should be aiming to increase your time in "deep sleep" state, phones that are using battery quickly typically don't spend much time at all in "deep sleep". At any rate, you can use that app to research your battery usage problems and find out which apps are keeping your phone awake. Then you can decide if you really need them and uninstall if reasonable, or look at changing their settings to see if you can't get them to sleep more. You have a lot of apps running, and any one or more of them could be keeping your phone awake.
    For myself, I would agree with using that app, for diagnostic only, get things corrected if they can be and then dump the app after that. It is just something else running and using battery and then if you fix the problems, you don't need the diagnostic app running anymore.

For example, I was using Accuweather, and it would leave a process in the app run queue when I wasn't using it, even when I was using it as an app, not as a widget. So I dumped Accuweather and am now using BeWeather. BeWeather is pretty good, and has running processes only when you're using it. I also only let it update when I open the app, not periodically. If I was using it as a widget, that would be different, of course.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

For example, I was using Accuweather, and it would leave a process in the app run queue when I wasn't using it, even when I was using it as an app, not as a widget. So I dumped Accuweather and am now using BeWeather. BeWeather is pretty good, and has running processes only when you're using it. I also only let it update when I open the app, not periodically. If I was using it as a widget, that would be different, of course.
    I've always used Beautiful Widgets app for weather and I've never noticed a drain on my battery from that, even if I had everything turned on to update and notify, etc. Sometimes it takes removing apps, adding them back one at a time and finding the one causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    For myself, I would agree with using that app, for diagnostic only, get things corrected if they can be and then dump the app after that. It is just something else running and using battery and then if you fix the problems, you don't need the diagnostic app running anymore.
    Yes, definitely. You only need to run that app when there's something going wrong. If things are going well, don't bother *smile*. After I'm done with it, I usually find it in the app run queue, and stop it there. "Remove all" tasks doesn't remove it from running in the background. Just a tip on that one.

One of my objectives is to have as little in the apps run queue as is reasonable when I'm not using my phone, and not to have apps there that I'm not using as well. It kind of bothers me to see "video player", or "contacts", or "maps" in the apps run queue when I didn't start them. "Contacts" is started by some MakeSimDBService thing on my phone, I'd like to find out why that needs to run so often since I seldom add or remove contacts. Not sure what causes "video player" app to start up, or why the "maps" app just starts running. I don't use Google Now, don't use the location stuff, only use standalone GPS. I hardly ever use my phone to watch videos of any sort, I have a tablet, laptop, and desktop that I use for that. These apps just appear occasionally, and I stop them. I'd like to track them down, but I'm pretty sure that they're not using a lot of CPU run time just being in the queue, but would like to have more control over stuff like that. I could freeze the video player on my phone, and am debating on whether I should do that. I'm sure that there's some of that "leave them in the run queue and cached in memory and they'll start faster" philosophy from the OS writers, but I don't use any of these enough to not be fine to have them start from scratch when I do use them.

Oh well, so it goes...

Yup, I'm kinda like that also. I've disabled things that I just don't use ever, instead of leaving them there running in the background. That is the "computer person" in me that must do that lol
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    First thing? You use S-Voice instead of the Google Now Voice Search?

Also, looking at RAM at the bottom of the screen, you are using a lot it seems. mine right now is 477mb used and 1.1GB free

The Samsung Push Service, I have that disabled and numerous other "Samsung" named applications that came on the phone. I won't say that it has helped my battery life, not sure, but I didn't use the Samsung account at all, so I just disabled it.

Does Swift Key show up on your list under your battery much?

Also, is that "Sync Service" a Verizon thing or something from the Play Store?

Did your phone stay awake most of the night again?

And last for now..when you go to your accounts (menu, settings, accounts) and the choose google, then choose your google account and look at everything set to sync..what all is checked there?
    I use both svoice and Google now for certain things but I haven't used s voice in a while. Is there anyway to unsync in a mass instead of going to each app individually. The sync service is a Verizon thing.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by ducey99 View Post
    I use both svoice and Google now for certain things but I haven't used s voice in a while. Is there anyway to unsync in a mass instead of going to each app individually. The sync service is a Verizon thing.

Well it's really that Voice Search..you might want to use that instead of S-Voice, it's much better.

As far as the sync for google, you have it all right there for google. Now if you have a lot of apps like Facebook, twitter, etc that you have set to "refresh" or check for new messages a lot, that will do it to. I finally turned off my FB checking, but it seems it has push notification so that took care of that issue, I still get notified quickly. If you have anything like news apps that you have update every few minutes, that is going to wake up your phone constantly and drain battery. I have a "Synchronize" app that I guess is the same thing, but the AT&T version.

Did it stay awake again most of the night? The BetterBattery Stats app to diagnose the issues wouldn't be a bad idea. I've never used it but have heard a lot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducey99 View Post

You should really purchase that Better Battery app and run it and then let's look at the stats. It will tell you how long your phone is in deep sleep and the actual things keeping it awake. The app is a couple of dollars.

OK, so just an update from me. Since the JB update I installed I am still get occasional battery drain. Overall though I have noticed the JB update seems to give a bit better battery life overall and mine was already great before the update - minus the random drain issue. Typically untouched on standby I get about 1% drain every 2-2.5 hours. When the drain issue occurs forget about it. Just happened again tonight. I know a lot of 4G devices have drain issues like this - blackberries, iPhones, etc and that it's often a location/signal based issue... however this happens in my house with a perfect 5 bar 4G LTE signal. I noticed when I got home I had about 80% battery life and now, about 3.5 hours later I'm at 43%!!! There's definitely something going on with the S3. In the battery usage monitor it always says the same thing too, main battery user is the screen. I leave my phone off while at work outside of my lunch break, so it's off for 7 hours a day, off at night, and charged up in the morning. I've never had a problem with it lasting a whole day, and with morning/afternoon/night usage of the internet I always have plenty of battery life... except when these damn draining issues occur. Never screwed me up yet though as I've always caught it and rebooted which stops the drain.

I also notice the phone gets quite warm when it's doing the drain thing. I can literally pull my phone from the holster and know instantly it's draining due to how warm it is.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

I have the same issues aswell. ICS i had a very good battery life,i could get over a day and a half out of it. But since the 2 JB updates i cant get anything over 15 hours,10-12 seems to be about average for me now. Maybe it has something to do with the JB updates?

Have those of you that have had problems since the JB update gone through your settings carefully and made sure that they're set as you want/need? I noticed that the JB update reverted a bunch of my settings back to defaults that weren't what I wanted in the interest of saving battery use. Also, I ended up doing a factory reset, and that helped, too. That was more work, and I needed to redo my settings yet again after that *smile*, but I feel pretty good about my battery usage now. I also rooted my phone after the update, and froze a bunch of apps that were running for some reason that I wasn't using. Anyways, now things are looking pretty good.

Have those of you that have had problems since the JB update gone through your settings carefully and made sure that they're set as you want/need?
    I had the problem before the JB update. I was hoping that the JB update might resolve it but it didn't. It did give me overall longer battery life it seems than before, even though my battery life was fine before. Outside of the random drain I have no issue with battery life. I checked after my update and it kept all my settings correct and it kept all my disabled apps disabled, so no issue there.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12