Galaxy s3 battery life, Good or Bad?

BFJ_SgsIII

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys im new on the forums and there is tons of battery topics, i just want to know is this good or bad battery? I have mainly been surfing and texting

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360772332469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360772332469.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 82

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
We don't know how long it's been of the charger..take another screenshot of that.
But for an hour and a half screen time, and still being at 74%, that's pretty good battery life.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
^^
This. Also, just in case you're not, be aware that the 38% figure doesn't mean the screen has used 38% of your battery. It means that of everything that's using the battery, the screen used 38% of that total.

BFJ_SgsIII

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
This is what it is at now, still with mainly surfing and texting

Sent from my GT-I9300

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360780328793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360780328793.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360780343411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360780343411.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 65

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Almost 8 hours at 45%, with 3 hours of screen on, is fine. That would translate to about 15 hours with close to 6 hours of screen on time (assuming battery drain is linear). I don't think anyone would complain about that performance. That big, beautiful screen uses a lot of power when it's on.

Valentijngm

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Whut is wrong with my phone? When i set it to auto brightness on the lowest setting with all power saving settings on, like reduced fps and no smart stay; it always drains AT LEAST 74% battery

I get about 12 hours out off a full battery. No live background or anything draining

zakattack0043

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes the battery life on the galaxy S3 is amazing in my opinion I know from experience your looking at a dual core processor

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Whut is wrong with my phone? When i set it to auto brightness on the lowest setting with all power saving settings on, like reduced fps and no smart stay; it always drains AT LEAST 74% battery

I get about 12 hours out off a full battery. No live background or anything draining

You've given us nothing to go on. See the screen shots above? Show us the same screens for your phone when it gets down to about 25%. Also tap on the graph, and capture the screen that shows up. Post all 3 here, and we might be able to start diagnosing something.

Do you have any "battery saving" or task manager apps installed? How frequently do you sync things like email, facebook, twitter, etc.? How many hours of screen on time during those 12 hours?

Valentijngm

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I get what your telling me. Ill add a bunch of screenshots tonight. Cant add them on my phone. Btw my screen has now been on for 40 min - drained 86% off battery. But ill supply everything tonight after a day of normal battery use

Valentijngm

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
As promised, more screenshots...
4repuw.png

2wmlymt.png

34hv0k6.png

(yes 5 hours is long, but the %number is at least 74% at whatever time (on the lowest brightning setting)

Its just, I have this thing for half a year now, and it slowely turned me into a power saving *****. I got an auto task killer that kills tasks when i turn my screen off, but its set to safe (only non-system task killing) and i also hit the button loads of times a day

I set my screen on the lowest auto brightness,
i have all the android power saving options on
no custom launcher
no live background
wifi gps and bluetooth turned off ofcourse

Can you help me out?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What that 74% is saying is that, of everything that's using battery (radios, cpu, apps, memory, screen, etc.) the screen is using 74% of the battery used. So you've used 90% of the battery, and the screen has used 74% of that 90%. Nothing else is using very much power at all. If you compare the battery graph with the screen on bar (in the middle image), you can easily see that the slope of the battery usage lines matches up with the screen on times.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot you can do here. The big screens on modern phones simply use a lot of power and, yes, 5 hours is a lot of screen on time. If this is typical use, and you can't plug in and charge during the day, your best options are going to be to get an extended battery, extra batteries and an external charger, or a portable battery pack that attaches to the back of your phone. Or if you're in a car a lot, get a 12 volt car charger.

A couple of things, though: you say "lowest auto brightness," but I'm not sure what that means. You can manually set the brightness to very low levels, or you can select auto-brightness, but I'm not aware of any way to adjust the level of "auto." If you're using auto-brightness, turn that feature off and set the screen as dim as is comfortable to you.

You also say WiFi is turned off, but the bar graph shows WiFi on for a lot of the period. If you're connected to WiFi, that's good. But if you're not actually using a WiFi connection, you want to make sure it's really off. Having WiFi on, searching for a connection, is a battery hog.

Are you running any kind of battery saver app (other than the built-in option) or task manager app?

In your PM to me, you asked about widgets or launchers. A launcher shouldn't make any difference. Widgets can, depending on what they're doing. If a widget is constantly syncing in the background (to check weather, or news, or your location, for example), the background sync can possibly use up a fair bit of battery. Try to set them so they don't sync more often than you really need them to. The same is true of apps like facebook, twitter, email, etc. Any app that's syncing in the background uses power, and the more often it syncs the more power it uses.

But, as I said before, it really looks like screen on time is the culprit here.

Valentijngm

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Well. I meant that i dont have it on when not using it (Ofcourse)
Nope. I dont have any other savers, since i heard they drain even more.

But how come other peoples display's drain 38% display and get 16 hours out of it

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Remember, the % of all battery use will add up to 100%. So the less the screen is on, the lower the percentage of battery used by the screen, and the higher the percentage used by other things. If you used your screen for only 3 hours during that period, instead of 5 hours, the percentage of battery left would be higher, and the percentage used by the screen would be lower. If you had screen on time of 1 to 2 hours, you'd get 16 hours of battery life, too.

More screen on time = less total time on battery. More screen on time = a higher percentage of battery used by the screen.

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S3 has a manufacturer rated battery life of 11 hours talk time utilizing a 2,100 mAh Lithium-Ion battery. This phone should last you through the day even with heavy usage and has strong battery life compared to other top Smart Phones on the market.

rzrblk

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone diagnose my battery problems ?!
Thanks in advance
I'm on the Verizon galaxy s3 4.1.2 vrmb1 Stock touchwiz

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-16-19-58-16.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-16-19-58-16.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2013-06-16-19-58-20.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-16-19-58-20.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 21

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't see this very well, but is that your GPS icon on the task bar? If something is running the GPS all the time, that's a huge battery drain. GPS should only run when you need it, eg for navigation. Even most location services do not need the GPS.

Posted via Android Central App

mcweav111

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Lose task killer. Close apps after using them. Adjust screen brightness yourself. WiFi Gps a major battery burner. Turn them off. Phone in my locker...airplane mode or off. Close apps!

Posted via Android Central App