Extra Storage for S3?

Droidguy2791

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
So I have the 16gb S3 right now....and I was wondering if I should get extra storage....like a micro-SD card to put in. I'm wondering.....what can I store on the SD card? Like can I put my pictures, videos, music, etc on it rather than on the internal memory? How about apps? Is it worth it? Thanks

Droidguy2791

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Also...if I do get a card....can I access it without taking off the back cover? Like when I plug the cord for my phone to my computer I can access the phones memory and storage on the computer....will I be able to access the SD card also like that or would I have to take it out of my phone and put it into my computer everytime? Because I have a case on the phone too so that would be really hard and annoying to do everytime.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can store your media(music, pics, videos, docs) on the external card. If you want to store apps on the card you will have to root the device and get an app like "super app2sd. Storing apps on external sd was removed after Ice Cream Sandwich, not sure why.

Yes you can access the card in the phone by connecting to a computer. You can do this through a usb cable, wi-fi, bluetooth, or use cloud storage. The last three options will require you to download apps to connect, but most are free.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Is it worth it? SD cards are cheap, and I definitely like the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if my phone dies, or I break it, I can just pull the SD card out and have all my photos. If they're on internal memory and the phone won't boot up, or the screen no longer works, what are you going to do?

Yes, you can back your media up to a computer, but how many people really remember to do that regularly?

dmarcus48

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I got a 32 gig class 10 microsd card for about $18 online. One thing to note, you can't just open the back and pull it out. You can either go into settings/storage and unmount the sd card, OR you can shut the phone down and take the card out. You don't pull it out, it's a push in and eject type of card. I've hard some problems with just pulling the card out, it became unreadable, I had to mount it in a reader and read it on a pc or mac, then it worked.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it worth it? SD cards are cheap, and I definitely like the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if my phone dies, or I break it, I can just pull the SD card out and have all my photos. If they're on internal memory and the phone won't boot up, or the screen no longer works, what are you going to do?

Yes, you can back your media up to a computer, but how many people really remember to do that regularly?

You're right not much people rember to backup.

To the OP as long as your microSD does not corrupt you will be safer putting music, videos and photos on the sd. I have my photos automatically uploaded to box, dropbox and skydrive. With these three online storage I have over 120gb of space.

As others have said these cards are now cheap. The relatively expensive ones are the 64gb versions. Great 16gb cards can be found at ~$11

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez