Moved photos to external SD card, now they won't open?

SSheep

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone help?

I've been getting a storage space running out message for weeks on my GS3 & wasn't able to open my gallery, so I've just moved some of my photo's and videos to my external SD card. (Selected pics, clicked on left hand menu, selected move, then external Sd card) but now although the file displays in gallery, none of the videos in it can be played and none of the pics can be viewed? Strangely a few of the videos & pics have visible thumbnails, but won't open, whilst the vast majority don't even have thumbnails. I tried to send some pics back to the phone memory but this didn't correct the problem. Don't get too technical on me, but can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moved photos to external Sd card, now they won't open?

Hi

Can anyone help?

I've been getting a storage space running out message for weeks on my GS3 & wasn't able to open my gallery, so I've just moved some of my photo's and videos to my external SD card. (Selected pics, clicked on left hand menu, selected move, then external Sd card) but now although the file displays in gallery, none of the videos in it can be played and none of the pics can be viewed? Strangely a few of the videos & pics have visible thumbnails, but won't open, whilst the vast majority don't even have thumbnails. I tried to send some pics back to the phone memory but this didn't correct the problem. Don't get too technical on me, but can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums!!

If the transfer got interrupted by anything that could have caused an error. I would try to load them to your PC, and open them that way. If they are fine, leave them there. To clear up any space issues, delete unused apps, get a cache cleaner from Play. Clean Master is a good one. And change the SMS and MMS (Text and Picture messages) limit to something smaller. That can save some space. Transfer any other large files you don't need off your phone.

Ashleyk86

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
I had this same thing happen to me and as far as I can tell I lost a bunch of videos of my kids, did you ever figure out how to get the videos to play?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I had this same thing happen to me and as far as I can tell I lost a bunch of videos of my kids, did you ever figure out how to get the videos to play?

Install the Google Photos app onto your device:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ogle.android.apps.photos&hl=en&token=fsVMgH5N
Once installed, be sure to go into its Settings menu and confirm the 'Backup & sync' function is enabled, and that videos are also included. If you have a really large photo and video library accumulated it might take a while to get the initial backup done but when it is all done there will be a duplicate photo archive stored in your online Google account.
If something gets deleted, you have 60 days to restore it by going into the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines in the upper left corner) and select the 'Trash' option.
If you want to access your photos but don't have your mobile device handy, you can use any browser and log into your account at:
https://photos.google.com
If you feel the need to even backup your backup, go to Google Takeout and from there you create an archive file of your photo library that you can then download and safely store elsewhere.
https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout