Getting replacement S3: how to speed transition/setup. Often overlook things to do?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a refurb replacement S3.

Before I wipe my old phone, what are often overlooked things to do?

I have the impression it's not as easy as iTunes backup & restore.

My phone is NOT rooted and the old one is being returned to the carrier and I'm not interested in rooting the old or new one.

Are they any backup /restore apps that don't require root?

Are there settings or things I should try to preserve (or at lease screen shot)?

I used ShareMyApps to generate a list of all the apps on my phone.

I screen shotted my home screens, and settings for some key apps.

All my contacts are safetly in gmail.

I'm not worried about my text messages.

In Settings | Backup and reset, I checked "backup my data" and "automatic restore". Does this mean that all the settings for all my apps come back?

I have a dialing widget so I'm going to see if I can by chance copy that folder of data to see if it might preserve my setup.

I did backup my photos.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks and wish me luck!

Mike

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I took a look at helium, installed it, did a backup. Since it doesn't backup the apps, (only their data), I decided to just re-install and reconfigure manually since I really don't want to suck in any bad config that might have been causing me a problem.

But thanks!

Mike

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Any files you have on the internal SD (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.) should also be copied to either a computer or external SD card to preserve them, and then deleted from the old phone. Be sure to do a factory reset on the old phone before sending it back.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Since it doesn't backup the apps, (only their data)
By default it only backs up app data, to save space, but all you have to do is uncheck that option.
ave9a2ad.jpg

Edit: all you have to do to see those options is drag up from the bottom.
And you could try Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos for your pictures/videos.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
great advice, thank you!

BTW, I must say it feels soo clean and liberating to wipe a phone and start from scratch, even though I dread doing it. I got 70% stuff back within 1 day and it's running nicely!

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non