My screen is not turning on when I receive a text message.

Fetter

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all.

I just recently switched from Handcent back to my default text message application since my phone now natively supports group text messaging. I have uninstalled Handcent completely.

The problem is that my screen doesn't turn on letting me see who the text is from that came in. Other people have no issue with this while I can't seem to figure it out. From what I've found so far, most people are trying to turn this feature off yet I'm in the other side of things.

Does anyone have any tips for me to fix this?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
double check your notification settings in Handcent. There should be an option in there to turn the screen on when you get a text. Most 3rd party messaging apps will have this somewhere. I'm not familiar enough with Handcent to tell you exactly where to look, but since you've used it before, you should be able to find it.

Other then that, try another messaging app (I use Textra) to see if the problem persists. If it doesn then I would say the problem isn't with the messaging app but somewhere else (perhaps a power-saving setting or app) preventing the screen from activating on notification.

Fetter

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Handcent any more. As stated in the first post I've gone back to the stock messaging app as it has improved since my update to 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I believe I read in another thread here that the stock messaging app doesn't support this now, but that there are some apps in the play store that will add this functionality.

Fetter

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
There should at least be an option. But hey I'll look for an app for that. Thanks.

Fetter

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any apps that would fix my problem. I know it's not the same phone but my friend with the Note has their screen light up when he gets a text.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Textra has the screen on function built in, and it's enabled by default.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app