Why am I losing signal when browsing?

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
My phone is a Galaxy S3. I got it about a year and a half ago (around the end of Feb 2013).

It has developed a problem. When I am browsing using Google Chrome, it will suddenly lose signal, both cellular and mobile data, only displaying a NULL sign (∅). The screen begins to rapidly flicker, and any input is lagging, if it responds at all. Some of the time, the phone then dies, though not always. I can turn it on immediately, but the battery will have drained to almost 0% -- once from a charge of 80%+. If I can exit the browser before the phone dies, I generally get my signal back in a few moments.

This only happens when my phone is NOT connected to a power source. While charging, I have not seen it lose signal, even when browsing for more than an hour. Without a power source, it usually happens within 3-5 minutes.

This started maybe ten days ago or so. Before that, I could browse, no problem. (Though the battery drain while browsing has gotten worse over time as well.)

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
No, I haven't -- I don't have a spare battery, and my budget's too tight for the rest of the month for me to buy one just to test this. The battery holds its charge easily enough most of the time, so I am not sure why it would be at fault. As I said, I've only noticed this occurring when I am browsing.

Admittedly that is by far the lion's share of what I use the phone for, so it may simply be a coincidence.

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Clearing cache and data for Chrome did nothing. (In fact, just as I was done clearing the data, it happened again.) I haven't tried wiping the system cache yet, but I will.

However, an update: evidently, the battery isn't actually drained. It happened again earlier, and this time it completely locked up -- I couldn't start it up as I normally can, and it didn't respond to any input. I removed the battery to see if it was bulging (which it isn't), and replaced it, and the phone started up -- at the same percentage as it was before it crashed. So it seems to me it isn't a hardware issue.

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
The stock browser does it as well. At this point I think it's whenever mobile data is active for a few minutes at a time.

Those instructions don't work; I tried holding down the "Power off" option in the device options prompt, but I got no "Restart in Safe Mode" prompt even after holding it for more than a minute.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is your device rooted? Or do you have an alternate ROM loaded?
Even though those instructions were from Verizon they should work on any stock variant.

Did you try the alternate method (with the device completely off, press the Power button until the device begins to boot, then press-and-hold the Volume Down rocker until the phone finishes booting)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I imagine not, since I'm not sure what it means and I wouldn't know how to do it.

The alternate method worked, and it started in safe mode (at least there was a "safe mode" box in the lower left corner). I started Chrome (which it did) and it immediately did lost signal and restarted. It had about 80% charge, and showed 2% afterwards. I removed the battery and replaced it, and when I started it again, it was up to 78% again.

This was all with mobile data turned off, so I'm at a complete loss as to what's going on with this damn thing.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you use Wi-Fi?

Anyway, it sure sounds to me like you're having battery issues. The S3 is a pretty common device - don't you know anyone that you can borrow a battery from for a few minutes to check this out?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

lDanielHolm

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Not that I am aware of. Generation older, or generation newer, or the smaller models, but none that I can think of with the S3.

And it happens with Wi-Fi as well.

At this point, I think I'll have to send it in to my phone company and have them take a look at it. It's still under warranty, I believe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty