My S3 has a sporadic black screen on bootup and sometimes difficult to wake up, why?

mrdeeds32

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
S3 sporadic black screen on bootup and sometimes difficult to wake up

Hello
Bought a used Galaxy S3 on CL knowing of this issue, but thought i could fix it. So far, no luck.
Sometimes when turning on phone, i just get a black screen. It makes all the sounds to let me know it is booting up, but just get nothing on the screen. I can either pull the battery and try again. After several tries, I will be able to see the screen and for the most part phone works correctly. OR I can keep tapping the right button and it eventually "wakes up" so I can unlock the screen.
Once the phone is on, there are no issues until it goes to sleep or i lock it. It can then sometimes be difficult to wake up. I will again have to continually tap the right button until I finally see the screen to unlock it. (Sometimes, it wakes up no problem)
I have done a battery pull, factory reset, booted in safe mode. (happened in safe mode too)
Im new to rooting, but I tried rooting thinking I could possibly roll back updates or get a custom rom that may resolve issue, but after Soft Bricking the phone, I was able to get it back to the factory reset and it is now unrooted.
At this point, im thinking its hardware, but thought Id see if anyone had similar issues or suggestions.
Thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: S3 sporadic black screen on bootup and sometimes difficult to wake up

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Perhaps the screen was replaced at some point before you got it and the screen connection wasn't seated properly?

It does sound like you have an issue with the Power button (or Power switch on the mainboard) malfunctioning. You might want to consider getting that replaced.