No sound and black screen(s)

Faceplant15

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I've been a happy Fold4 user for almost a year now. Last week it started acting up and it has me genuinely concerned. I've done a settings reset that hasn't helped the sound issue however the screen issue hasn't happened again. I'm about to do a factory wipe.
Symptoms
  1. Sound will stop working completely at random times. When it happens its permanent until the phone is rebooted. Sound can be played with external speakers, but not through the phone or speaker phone. Same for alerts, spotify, youtube, phone calls. Vibrate does seem to continue working (Do not disturb is NOT turned on). Rebooting the phone resolved the sound issue for a time.
  2. About once a day, less after the settings reset, the small screen will be black. Using the side key to wake it up will cause a vibration, but nothing on the screen. Opening the phone shows just a black screen. Fiddling with it in the closed state will get the screen to come back eventually. I find plugging in a charger seems to get it to come back the quickest (the battery ISNT dead, plenty of charge). In 5-20 seconds the screen comes back. Screen still stays black when open. Using the small screen I reboot the phone and then both screens work normally again.
Has anyone reading this heard of these symptoms? Know of a solution? I'll share how the factory wipe goes.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear it.. I've not seen too many posts with issues with the fold 4 and what your experiencing... Keep us updated after you do a factory reset

Faceplant15

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Factory reset/wipe of all data complete. Besides now having 200+ apps that need to be re-configured, the issue persists.

Sound worked from the start after the wipe, then stopped a few hours later. I noticed something the phone had started doing recently but I didn't think much of it. It had been randomly making a strange, distorted chirp noise as I was folding it closed. This distorted chirp noise was the last sound it made after I did the factory wipe. I had folded it to put it on the Qi charger. An hour later the sounds were broken again. Vibrate continues to work. Reboot of the device continues to temporarily resolve the issue.

After the wipe, I did a data restore using my Samsung Cloud account. Maybe somehow that is the cause, unlikely, but I'll try another reset without the restore and see how that goes.

Reactions: J Dubbs

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Factory reset/wipe of all data complete. Besides now having 200+ apps that need to be re-configured, the issue persists.

Sound worked from the start after the wipe, then stopped a few hours later. I noticed something the phone had started doing recently but I didn't think much of it. It had been randomly making a strange, distorted chirp noise as I was folding it closed. This distorted chirp noise was the last sound it made after I did the factory wipe. I had folded it to put it on the Qi charger. An hour later the sounds were broken again. Vibrate continues to work. Reboot of the device continues to temporarily resolve the issue.

After the wipe, I did a data restore using my Samsung Cloud account. Maybe somehow that is the cause, unlikely, but I'll try another reset without the restore and see how that goes.
Bring it into service asap! Do you get the Samsung extended warranty?

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I've been a happy Fold4 user for almost a year now. Last week it started acting up and it has me genuinely concerned. I've done a settings reset that hasn't helped the sound issue however the screen issue hasn't happened again. I'm about to do a factory wipe.
Symptoms
  1. Sound will stop working completely at random times. When it happens its permanent until the phone is rebooted. Sound can be played with external speakers, but not through the phone or speaker phone. Same for alerts, spotify, youtube, phone calls. Vibrate does seem to continue working (Do not disturb is NOT turned on). Rebooting the phone resolved the sound issue for a time.
  2. About once a day, less after the settings reset, the small screen will be black. Using the side key to wake it up will cause a vibration, but nothing on the screen. Opening the phone shows just a black screen. Fiddling with it in the closed state will get the screen to come back eventually. I find plugging in a charger seems to get it to come back the quickest (the battery ISNT dead, plenty of charge). In 5-20 seconds the screen comes back. Screen still stays black when open. Using the small screen I reboot the phone and then both screens work normally again.
Has anyone reading this heard of these symptoms? Know of a solution? I'll share how the factory wipe goes.
Oddly, no issue! Ive been using the Fold4 since launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter