water damage problems!! do not turn off target screen

mmbitar

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
so i purchased the s4 active a while ago, and i tried the underwater feature. it took a couple of pictures then the screen just died.
i checked the usb port and it had water in it, as well as in the back. i let the phone dry out overnight and now it works, but i think it damaged the touch screen. the screen is functional but the touch just won't work. i was checking online what could be done and suddenly my phone vibrates and "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" pops up. I dont know what to do as of now.. any help???

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
so i purchased the s4 active a while ago, and i tried the underwater feature. it took a couple of pictures then the screen just died.
i checked the usb port and it had water in it, as well as in the back. i let the phone dry out overnight and now it works, but i think it damaged the touch screen. the screen is functional but the touch just won't work. i was checking online what could be done and suddenly my phone vibrates and "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!" pops up. I dont know what to do as of now.. any help???

Welcome to the forums!
I have always been with the understanding that it is water resistant, not water proof. Resistant meaning it can handle water exposure more than a normal phone, but not necessarily being intentionally submerged in water.

wamsille

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Resistant meaning it can handle water exposure more than a normal phone, but not necessarily being intentionally submerged in water.

What is the point of Aqua mode? To expose it to water during the filiming process but never once go under water as shown in Samsung's own demonstrations? I'm sorry, but Samsung clearly advertises this device to be more than just a little water resistant. There are choice comments even within Android Central's review that clearly reflect this was going to be a device meant for underwater excursions.

Review: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active for AT&T | Android Central

Actually, the Active welcomes time in the water and has a dedicated "Aqua" mode for underwater pics and video. More interesting industrial design, including physical buttons.

The Active is rated for IP67, which means it's dustproof and can hang out underwater as deep as 1 meter for as long as 30 minutes.

What Does IP67 Mean?

First, IP stands for 'Ingress Protection'. An IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures around electronic equipment. These ratings are determined by specific tests. The IP number is composed of two numbers, the first referring to the protection against solid objects and the second against liquids. The higher the number, the better the protection.

1) The 6 in IP67 means that it is Totally protected against dust
2) The 7 in IP67 means that it is Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m

Source - What Does IP67 Mean? - Aceeca.com

The problem isn't with usage, most folks are smart enough to heed warnings provided they are aware of the expectations of the hardware. Most users aren't fully aware of the device other than it can be taken underwater. There is a true design flaw on the Active which needs to be addressed. Without a proper seal around the display, moisture sets in and renders the touch display useless. If water manages to get past the display to other internals it is only a matter of time before ports fail and finally the device no longer recognizes the installed OS and boots directly into recovery.

You can have your own opinion of what resistance is or should be, but the specs above spell out what a device should be capable of. Maybe 15 cm is the maximum depth for the phone and no one should be taking their phone any further below this for the purpose of taking underwater photos. But what fun is that?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

wamsille

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
In the end, the hardware is certified to be resistant to the effects of immersion between 15cm and 1m. They might as well be a cable company telling you they will be at your residence between the hours of 10:00 and 2:00. You still didn't address the points that I made, however. Why should Samsung continue advertise the phone as resistant, show hands-on usage underwater and then yet folks still say don't go into the pool with it. (Or one on XDA that said not to shower with it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez