Can anyone help me with some questions I have about rooting?

Flagz

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I need help with understanding the root.

Rooting.

Sounds simple enough to you Android users. Probably the most common word tossed around in the community. Problem is, as a Windows Phone User, I've never needed to to root anything in my life.

My question isn't as simple as "How do I root" it goes beyond just that. Tomorrow I'll be receiving my first Android phone and jumping into the waters I'll like to know my options. I'm tech savvy, just no experience with Android, so here's my questions. Please try to be as in-depth with your answers.

1) Is rooting universal, or do you need to wait for a specific device to be "rooted"?
2) Is there a way to "unroot" for warranty/upgrade purposes.
3) What are the major benefits of rooting, and how do you change the majority of options?
4) How customizable is your phone post-root vs the stock?
5) Does rooting increase battery-life? 6) Will I be able to keep stock and upgrade to L?
7) How easy is it to switch Skins?
8) Will this make me able to download apps currently blocked by LG G3's resolution?
9) What complications can it cause?
10) List the reason you root your device!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: I need help with understanding the root.

Welcome to Android :D
1) It is model and Android version specific. There can be a root method for a AT&T Note 3, but that won't work for the T-Mobile Note 3, so you'll have to wait for a root method on that. If the Verizon Note 3 on 4.4.2 has a root method, but then gets updated to L, you'll have to wait for a root method on that...
2) Yes, it is fairly easy too. SuperSU (An app that comes with the root file you use for your phone) allows you to do a full unroot. That will usually be enough for warranty purposes since they don't usually check the binary counter (Keeps track of how unsigned packages are flashed to the phone. So anything unofficial will increase the count. Usually can't be reset).
3) Having root access, being able to use root only apps (Titanium Backup and Xposed Framework are great), and being able to flash custom recoveries.
4) Quite a bit more if you use something like Xposed framework modules. You can also flash custom recoveries and ROMs which will completely replace your OS with a different version of it if you like.
5) Not alone, no. There are apps like Greenify that are root only, that allow you to either freeze or "Greenify" apps to make them use less battery.
6) Not the official version. The rule of thumb for rooting is not to accept OTAs as it can lead to bricked devices. You can however flash custom ROMs and get Android versions before your phone gets the official OTA (Unless of course you're buying a Nexus device)
7) This doesn't require root. You can download launchers and theme packs for your phone in Android out of the box
8) I believe there is an Xposed module that lets you download any apps from the Play Store regardless of your phone's DPI
9) None come to mind. Aside from not following the instructions for rooting your specific device and bricking your phone, it's unlikely that you'll have any other issues.
10) I was tired of TouchWiz on my S4, and I wanted a stock Android ROM. That was basically the only reason at first. Now I make system backups, use Xposed modules to theme my phone, install root only apps and features.
Is the LG G3 the phone you're going to be getting?

Flagz

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android :D

Is the LG G3 the phone you're going to be getting?

Yes, Tmobile G3 should be here tomorrow. Rooting is one of my first projects if it seems viable, but really the only big benefit I can see is Android 'L' ROM and Apps that the G3 mark as incompatible. Not sure if I wanna go the extra mile, but I heard great things about rooting so we'll see.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes, Tmobile G3 should be here tomorrow. Rooting is one of my first projects if it seems viable, but really the only big benefit I can see is Android 'L' ROM and Apps that the G3 mark as incompatible. Not sure if I wanna go the extra mile, but I heard great things about rooting so we'll see.

When I root, I typically stay rooted. When I first rooted my S2 it was to get rid of bloatware apps. That was on Gingerbread, now, you can at least disable apps without rooting. For my M8, I rooted because I wanted to go away from Sense and to AOSP like UJ.

Rooting does have some benefits like adding the custom Recovery to make a Nandroid of your current setup. However, rooting does void any OS warranties.

I typically advise people who are new to Android to not root right away. Get used to the OS as it is. While you are acclimating yourself, you can by all means read up on rooting processes. My own personal rooting method of choice is not using any one touch/click methods.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty