Hot phone?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Got my S4 today, and after getting everything set up I've noticed it getting very hot when doing some normal browsing on tapatalk and in the browser. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it? Is it just how it is? The One I had got hot too, but with that one it was hard to tell the reason since it was aluminum.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my S4 today, and after getting everything set up I've noticed it getting very hot when doing some normal browsing on tapatalk and in the browser. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it? Is it just how it is? The One I had got hot too, but with that one it was hard to tell the reason since it was aluminum.

Was this right after the initial setup? Downloading all those apps and getting everything setup initially can get the phone running hot. I can put 4+ hours of onscreen time in this thing in a day and sometimes for hours at a time and it never gets hot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is if you have the screen brightness at 100% that could get it hotter than normal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Nope. Just at 50%. I don't get it. I mean, performance doesn't suffer, but its noticeable.

Also, before the trolls come in, I want to make clear that I am enjoying the S4 so far. Significantly improved over the S3, and a nice foil to the One.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ibcnul8ter

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Reports are coming in from users of Samsungs? new flagship Galaxy S4 that the device is getting a little too warm for comfort.

It seems users of the Exynos Octa chipset variety are experiencing overheating issues, which is having a massive impact on battery life.

One user even went as far tracking the temperature on his Galaxy S4; getting 27?C when idle, 35?C when browsing or checking email, and 40?C when playing games!

Some are theorising it?s to do with the location of the Exynos Processor, being too close to the radio and battery, compounding the heating problem. Whatever the cause is, most are recommending you turn off bluetooth and GPS (unless currently being used), dim the screen, and put the phone into power saving mode to restrict the processor.

Hopefully Samsung will have a proper solution to this soon and we?ll update this post if we hear anything.

Source: XDA Developers Forum