Good Case for the S4?

Hypochondriac

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading to either the s4 of the HTC 1. This will be the most I've ever spent on a phone. I tended to be a cheapskate and only buy free or phones < $100. I was wondering whats a good case that will protect the phone from falls? I worried that I will drop the phone and shatter/crack the screen. I seen case prices vary from $8-$50. I was hopping you guys could recommend a good budget case. Will a case protect the screen from cracking if dropped or do I also need a screen protector

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I have both an OtterBox Commuter arriving tomorrow and I just ordered a Spigen Slim Armor in Dante Red as well and it will arrive on Wednesday. Not sure which I will keep but choices are good to have.

Hypochondriac

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I have both an OtterBox Commuter arriving tomorrow and I just ordered a Spigen Slim Armor in Dante Red as well and it will arrive on Wednesday. Not sure which I will keep but choices are good to have.

Thanks. THose don't seem to have a screen protector. Do I need one or does a case prevent screen damage drop dropping a phone? How much did the cases cost

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for the spigen, but the Otterbox does come with a screen protector. While that doesn't stop the screen from cracking, it does save it from scratches. The case itself does help prevent mishaps regarding the screen with a plastic back and rubber insides. Also the otterbox defender, while a little bulky will do a much better job. I'm just an average Joe, working on race cars, and an oil burner repair man, but I've trusted otterbox on all of my devices since my blackberry bold 9000.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
IMO, If your spending $200 on a phone, why would you skimp on the case? Basically It's going to come down to how you use it. If you forsee yourself doing activities with your phone that the likelihood of it falling out of your hands and/or pockets alot, get the Otterbox. It will set you back some, but as other's have said it's well worth it. While adding some bulk, it's at the top end for overall protection. The Spigen slim armor is more form-fitting, less bulky and provides somewhat less overall protection than the otterbox. But it's more aesthetically pleasing, again IMO. It will set you back about $25. Either phone you choose is going to be great. And there are a host of other case options out there. Just do your research and get a case that will give you the best amount of protection that your budget can afford.

Solariis

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I find the Neo Hybrid case from Spigen to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing cases while still providing decent protection for the phone. It does run $29.99 for the case and an additional $6.99 for a nice screen protector if you want to include it.

Most of those over at XDA have said this is one of the best looking cases for the S4.
Galaxy S4 Case Neo Hybrid | SPIGEN SGP

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Neo Hybrid is a nice case, but the phone feels much better naked. Cases for me seem to push the size of the phone to the uncomfortable range.

Solariis

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I agree with you and went naked on my S3 but had a harder time re-selling the phone when I was ready to upgrade to the S4 because of chips and scratches around the corners of the phone over a year of light drops and moving the phone around so much. This case is about as close as you're gonna get to naked without using some crappy skin armor that doesn't really do much as far as protection.

danolie

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Otterbox Commuter and Spigen Slim Armor are currently 2 of my top choices for cases... Raptor007, I'd love to hear what you think since you are getting both! I am particularly interstedin how much thinner the Slim armor is (can't find dimensions anywhere) than the Commuter, and also if you feel it provides a comparable degree of protection, even with the slightly smaller lip and form factor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699