Anybody else using USB-OTG digital audio out?

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S4 -> USB OTG cable -> Fiio E17 headphone amp/DAC -> self modded Fostex T50rp headphones.

LL

LL

LL

LL

I'm not sure how many people on here care about high quality audio, or know about USB OTG, or know of this phones ability to output digital audio. Anyway, this is possible on this phone along with certain digital to analog converters, with my Fiio E17 being one of them. From what I have been reading, this does not seem to work for all DAC's out there. For those that do not know anything about this, this all means that you can bypass the phones internal DAC and use a higher quality one of your own. Obviously this adds a bit of bulk, but for audio enthusiasts it is worth it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
How do u put that in your pocket? lol

I have a USB-OTG which I used for my GS3 which was pretty amazing to transfer things from my External Hard Drive to my phone instantly...worked pretty well

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
How do u put that in your pocket? lol

I have a USB-OTG which I used for my GS3 which was pretty amazing to transfer things from my External Hard Drive to my phone instantly...worked pretty well

It is still pocketable. Obviously not as compact as just the phone though. Sometimes it's tough being an audiophile.

Sam_obrien

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Being new to the GS4 i was a little shocked that i couldn't hook my phone up via digital connector, as i could with my Iphone.

Ive been searching the internet for a dac output device which would boast the phone audio capablities, is this the answer?

When you connect the Fiio to the GS4 does it automaticaly put it in dock mode or is there extra steps required?

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Now you did it. I thought I got out of spending money on audio. A few years ago I got the bug and spent alot of time and money on audio gear (mostly headphone related). Now you inform me that I can easily get digital audio out of my phone. The cycle begins again..... ;-)

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S4 -> USB OTG cable -> Fiio E17 headphone amp/DAC -> self modded Fostex T50rp headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/862811/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/862812/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/862813/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/862814/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

I'm not sure how many people on here care about high quality audio, or know about USB OTG, or know of this phones ability to output digital audio. Anyway, this is possible on this phone along with certain digital to analog converters, with my Fiio E17 being one of them. From what I have been reading, this does not seem to work for all DAC's out there. For those that do not know anything about this, this all means that you can bypass the phones internal DAC and use a higher quality one of your own. Obviously this adds a bit of bulk, but for audio enthusiasts it is worth it.

Been using this usb out to external Pico dac/amp since s3 and now s4. It is nice to see you enjoy good audio.

Posted via Android Central App

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Where did you get the OTG cable? I guess it needs to be microUSB for the S4 side and miniUSB on the Fiio side. I ordered a cheap OTG (male micro to female USB) for $1.60 total including shipping from Hong Kong. I suppode I could use that and then plug in a standard miniUSB cable however the cable you have looks like the ideal form factor.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get the OTG cable? I guess it needs to be microUSB for the S4 side and miniUSB on the Fiio side. I ordered a cheap OTG (male micro to female USB) for $1.60 total including shipping from Hong Kong. I suppode I could use that and then plug in a standard miniUSB cable however the cable you have looks like the ideal form factor.

It's this cable: USB Mini B to Micro B Android 4 0 Above OTG Cable 4 5" inches by Ibasso Audio | eBay

Any OTG cable will work, but I wanted an all in one compact solution, and this is it. The only way it could be better is if the ends were small right angles, but it's fine.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Being new to the GS4 i was a little shocked that i couldn't hook my phone up via digital connector, as i could with my Iphone.

Ive been searching the internet for a dac output device which would boast the phone audio capablities, is this the answer?

When you connect the Fiio to the GS4 does it automaticaly put it in dock mode or is there extra steps required?

With this combination it is just plug and play. Use your music player of choice and it just works.

Been using this usb out to external Pico dac/amp since s3 and now s4. It is nice to see you enjoy good audio.

Posted via Android Central App

I really do enjoy good audio. I'd call myself an audiophile, but I think I'm too poor to really be considered one.

Steve Martin3

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey Jason, thanks so much for this - it took me quite a while to find the info I was looking for and you helped me out a great deal.
One more bit, if I may.....will the Fii0 E17 give me a significant boost in overall volume? I'm hearing lots about EQ and sound stage but no one really seems to be talking about what I feel really matters - VOLUME!! I'm considering buying this amp for the headphones in my motorcycle helmet which, when I'm really flying, don't give me the volume I need to be satisfied. Do you reckon I'll get enough of a noticeable lift in volume that ought to make it worth the expense of the E17's? Your opinion is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Just got me E17 the other day. I really need to find another USB OTG cable. Mine is very stiff and puts too much pressure (in my opinion) on the jacks. Unfortunately the one jasonb linked to is sold out.

Steve, I am using it to drive my Etymotic ER4-S earphones. They are high impedence and really need an amp to sound good. In the short time I have had it, it has sounded great with plenty of volume. I listen in the low 30's (it goes up to 60). I'm pretty sure it would start clipping before 60 but at least there seems to be some headroom. Unfortunately since I do not ride a motorcycle I really don't know how much ambient noise transfers through a helmet.

cwlondon

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Forum and an enthusiastic beginner with an HTC One.
Like juergen 99, I also ride motorbikes. juergen99, not cheap but love my JH audio IEMs on the bike.
(If you write or speak directly to the company, they can modify the earpieces to be more flat, for more comfort inside a helmet.)
Nonetheless, I am trying to use my HTC One not by itself but with an external DAC and headphone amplifier.
Therefore, any updates to this thread?
I am not able to find a micro USB cable to mini USB cable easily...and dont want to use multiple cables or an adapter plus a cable.
I can see in a few places one cable with a coiled middle, but described as a "charging" cable?
Will that export the digitial audio from the HTC One? How may pins are required on the mini side?
Thanks for help

Benj_dbs

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
With this combination it is just plug and play. Use your music player of choice and it just works.

I really do enjoy good audio. I'd call myself an audiophile, but I think I'm too poor to really be considered one.
For a setup like that, you are far from poor.... be thankful with what you're enjoying right now & yes you can keep the Audiophile badge, you earned it...